• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Another Dimension

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking more along the lines of "Casshern" and "Tetsuwan Birdy" with the older series... Haruhi? Rolling Eyes

And I totally agree with the second season of Skip Beat. I still see the manga selling reasonably well, so I hope it eventually happens. It's pretty hard for a shoujo to get a second season for some reason though.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I didn't make the cut for Brian, I will post below what I sent in last week.
  • What easily tops the list for me is "Cowboy Bebop". I wrote about how when Spike spoiler[dies] Mai Yamane sings Yoko Kanno's brilliant epilogue "Blue":
    Yoko Kanno wrote:
    Never seen a bluer sky
    Yeah I can feel it reaching out
    And moving closer
    There's something about blue
    Asked myself what it's all for
    You know the funny thing about it
    I couldn't answer
    No I couldn't answer

Things have turned a deeper shade of blue
    And images that might be real
    May be illusion
    Keep flashing off and on
    Free
    Wanna be free
    Gonna be free
    And move among the stars
    You know they really aren't so far
    Feels so free
    Gotta know free
    Please
    Don't wake me from the dream
    It's really everything it seemed
    I'm so free
    No black and white in the blue

Everything is clearer now
    Life is just a dream you know
    That's never ending
    I'm ascending

It reminds me so much of the film "Islands in the Stream" where George C. Scott's character thinks as he dies, "Gee, I sure was learning a lot towards the end, wasn't I?" Mai Yamane is -- for all intents and purposes -- singing for both Spike and Julia.
  • Perhaps not surprisingly, another favorite ending of mine is "Claymore". When Jean spoiler[sacrifices herself to both repay her debt to Clare and to also ensure that Clare returns to her human state], I am always emotionally affected by that chain of events.
  • "Fullmetal Alchemist" is another series with a powerful and visceral ending (Do you see a pattern here?). Here's what I wrote in part:
    Quote:
    The series strongly benefits from an ending that is well done (I'm invariably heavily influenced by how a story ends); just like the movie "The Raiders of the Lost Arc", this series's ending leaves you just begging for more! Here is Al's Closing Monologue:

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one, and only, truth. But the world isn’t perfect, and the law is incomplete. Equivalent Exchange doesn’t encompass everything that goes on here, but I still choose to believe in its principle: that all things do come at a price, that there’s an ebb and a flow, a cycle, that the pain we went through did have a reward, and that anyone who’s determined and perseveres will get something of value in return, even if it’s not what they expected. I don’t think of Equivalent Exchange as a law of the world anymore. I think of it as a promise between my brother and me. A promise that someday we’ll see each other again.

Last edited by nobahn on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Screw most of the others-2 series-Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road-nuff' said.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi is an ongoing series of light novels, so there's tons of material to do more anime for. Fullmetal Alchemist got a new anime because the first show was extremely popular and they had a bunch of manga material that it couldn't use (as it ended before the manga ended). It's pretty clear why those continued to be anime.

As for Naoki Urasawa, 20th Century Boys is my favorite manga and I really like Monster, so I'd like to see him get more love. I checked out him giving a little concert streaming online a few months ago, where he played "Bob Lennon" from 20CB live. GUTALALASUDALALA...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
My top 4 Anime:
My Neighbor Totoro
Tokyo Godfathers
Spirited Away
Dragon Half

My Top 4 Manga:
Black Jack
Yotsuba &
Sgt. Frog
Chi's Sweet Home

That was easy!
Anime smile
...and....erm....YETI!!!!! WTF????
Laughing Laughing
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh? No One Piece? NO ONE PIECE?!?!

Well, I guess the emotion for it really only works if you've read it for a while and have become invested in the characters and the world they inhabit.

Still though: Nami asking Luffy for help; the story of Dr. Hiriluk; Luffy ringing the Golden Bell; most any part of Water 7 (Going Merry, Robin); Luffy decking Charlos; anything involving Bentham in Impel Down; Ace; Whitebeard's back; the list goes on.

I really wish I would have seen the question last week. Would have represented some piratical pathos I would have.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Clannad and/or After Story? I'm surprised, though I guess not as many people have seen it, despite its MAL ranking. Confused
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:

Well, I guess the emotion for it really only works if you've read it for a while and have become invested in the characters and the world they inhabit.

Still though: Nami asking Luffy for help; the story of Dr. Hiriluk; Luffy ringing the Golden Bell; most any part of Water 7 (Going Merry, Robin); Luffy decking Charlos; anything involving Bentham in Impel Down; Ace; Whitebeard's back; the list goes on.

I really wish I would have seen the question last week. Would have represented some piratical pathos I would have.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! (By the way, you should probably put a spoiler tag on those.)

I mean, seriously. You cannot be a OP fan and tell me you didn't get a little teary eyed at Nami asking for help. Or Robin's "I WANNA LIVE." Or Chopper, Brooke, Franky, and almost any main characters past. spoiler[Even Luffy's!!!]

And of course, FMA. The manga, and both anime series.
spoiler["Because we're not Gods... We're humans. Tiny insignificant humans. Who couldn't even save a little girl!"]
The manga and brotherhood had it's moments. spoiler[(Hell, opening 5 itself was kind of a tear jerker.)]

And Fairy Tail. With almost any character. spoiler[Erza, Lucy, Natsu, Gray, Elfman, Mira, Laxus, Juvia, any person in the damn guild xD]
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

But people might balk at me crying over Zatch Bell!, of all things.

What? I hope not. But if they do then I'll be one of the few who doesn't cause I cried over some Zatch Bell too lol
Farix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
[quote=Answerman]Has Rozen Maiden compensated for its years of being off the broadcast airwaves by selling boatloads of DVDs and books and manga and CDs and assorted merchandise? Nope. Sorry, no second season.[/quote]

But Rozen Maiden did receive a second season, about 10 months after the first season concluded. It also got an OVA a year after the second season concluded.

But I will agree on the larger point that a third season is unlikely. This is in large part because Peach-Pit abruptly ended the series in Comic Birz, any momentum the series had was lost. Imagine if Akira Toriyama had took a year or two off of Dragon Ball in the middle of the first Budokai arc. Chances are that it would not be the juggernaut that it was.

But I don't recall seeing a lot of merchandising with Rozen Maiden. The series was popular enough for Peach-Pit to restart the series later.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
I am hoping that Yawara gets enough sales, even slowly that the rest may be released.

I find the show highly enjoyable and think may US fans would also if they watched some.

In other words I highly recommend it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
sokpupet wrote:

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! (By the way, you should probably put a spoiler tag on those.)

I mean, seriously. You cannot be a OP fan and tell me you didn't get a little teary eyed at Nami asking for help. Or Robin's "I WANNA LIVE." Or Chopper, Brooke, Franky, and almost any main characters past. spoiler[Even Luffy's!!!]

Well most of One Pieces backstories are sappy, maudlin, manipulative in my opinion, except for...Robin's I guess?

Nami's past was pretty bad:

spoiler[Bellmere just makes a promise to Arlong to sacrifice herself in exchange for her kids, he agrees...and then she PULLS A GUN ON HIM. What a moron. If Arlong really was a sadistic shark man he should've eaten Nami and her sister right in front of her.] Also, Chopper being raised by spoiler[a COMPLETE PSYCHOTIC who messes with people in a deluded attempt to help them, and then takes their money] That's all just bad writing if you ask me.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
wrote:
older series of anime.....Haruhi......Rozen Maiden

LOL no sorry bud, 2000 is probably where old ends, but just because you saw Haruhi last week don't make it old, lol

You wanna talk old? Captain Harlock, Space Adventure Cobra, and even Record of Lodoss War OVA, now THATS old

wrote:
Trigun getting a movie 10yrs after the series ended.

Thats a feat of strength right there, not just a remake, but a full fledged movie
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

spoiler[Bellmere just makes a promise to Arlong to sacrifice herself in exchange for her kids, he agrees...and then she PULLS A GUN ON HIM. What a moron. If Arlong really was a sadistic shark man he should've eaten Nami and her sister right in front of her.]

Hmm, let's see.
a) Bellmere was a marine... so perhaps it's a given she'd hate pirates even before that happened?
b) She was a kid... a courageous kid, otherwise she wouldn't have withstood the crap she later underwent.
c) Despite being a shark, he's primarily a merman. He considers humans disgusting. And he sees them as tools... you wouldn't go around breaking your tools just because it failed you once, would you?

Quote:
Also, Chopper being raised by spoiler[a COMPLETE PSYCHOTIC who messes with people in a deluded attempt to help them, and then takes their money] That's all just bad writing if you ask me.

No, the story behind the quack doctor's actions is that he does it to cheer them up... make them lively. What spoiler[cured him wasn't medicine but a cherry blossom tree, in other words, a miracle. He quit being a bandit to become a doctor afterwards, thus dedicating the rest of his life to create a miracle... not a medicine; rather, a miracle better than medicine, to cure something that medicine couldn't.] And that's pretty obvious if you've seen it.
And then of course, you won't mention what's inconvenient for your argument. Like how he drank Chopper's spoiler[medicine knowing it was poison to let Chopper's dream continue (related to the skull flag), and while aware that his death was near. He then drank nitroglycerin (or something alike) to end his own life, so Chopper wouldn't hate himself, nor pledge revenge against the king for taking the doctor's life.]
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

spoiler[Bellmere just makes a promise to Arlong to sacrifice herself in exchange for her kids, he agrees...and then she PULLS A GUN ON HIM. What a moron. If Arlong really was a sadistic shark man he should've eaten Nami and her sister right in front of her.]

Hmm, let's see.
a) Bellmere was a marine... so perhaps it's a given she'd hate pirates even before that happened?
b) She was a kid... a courageous kid, otherwise she wouldn't have withstood the crap she later underwent.
c) Despite being a shark, he's primarily a merman. He considers humans disgusting. And he sees them as tools... you wouldn't go around breaking your tools just because it failed you once, would you?

Quote:
Also, Chopper being raised by spoiler[a COMPLETE PSYCHOTIC who messes with people in a deluded attempt to help them, and then takes their money] That's all just bad writing if you ask me.

No, the story behind the quack doctor's actions is that he does it to cheer them up... make them lively. What spoiler[cured him wasn't medicine but a cherry blossom tree, in other words, a miracle. He quit being a bandit to become a doctor afterwards, thus dedicating the rest of his life to create a miracle... not a medicine; rather, a miracle better than medicine, to cure something that medicine couldn't.] And that's pretty obvious if you've seen it.
And then of course, you won't mention what's inconvenient for your argument. Like how he drank Chopper's spoiler[medicine knowing it was poison to let Chopper's dream continue (related to the skull flag), and while aware that his death was near. He then drank nitroglycerin (or something alike) to end his own life, so Chopper wouldn't hate himself, nor pledge revenge against the king for taking the doctor's life.]

Nope, nope. Not buying it. And Bellmere's also an idiot for thinking being unable to lie about having children was more important than you know, hiding them from the evil sharkmen.

And everything about Doc is absolutely stupid. spoiler["Yes, instead of telling Chopper, 'No, that's wrong, it's poison, it's okay, though you can try again, I believe in you!' I will DRINK IT, SO THE DREAAAAM will continue!" . I don't care if he was going to die soon anyways. It makes no damn sense, and that STILL doesn't excuse him from terrorizing the whole island.]

Stupid, illogical, bottom of the barrel, shonen bull-****
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4