• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Women in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
This is sort of a confusing thread. What is it exactly that is being complained about? That there is a lack of strong, independent, non-sexualized, non-moe/whateverotherinterest-erized females in something that is targeted at males? It has to be the male-targeted stuff that is being complained about, because the female-targeted stuff generally has the opposite problem. The males in the female-targeted stuff get "unfairly" portrayed.

I don't see the problem.

Stuff targeted at males has female characters with characteristics males generally like. These characteristics may not coincide with reality.

Stuff targeted at females has male characters with characteristics females generally like. These characteristics may not coincide with reality

agila61 wrote:
Bechdel Test for media:

Quote:
Does the media have:
1) More than one woman

Do they:
2) talk to each other
3) about something other than a man

The best part is that your average harem story passes this pretty much by default. Score one for Team Every Color Except Pink! Very Happy

Someone should run one of those romance novels with chesty guys on the cover I see at borders through this test. Transpose the words 'man' and 'woman' in the test. The novel would probably fail all over itself.

I think its important to note that there isn't any men's rights groups getting their boxers and/or briefs in a bunch about fiction that "unfairly" portrays men. I don't see why feminists (not necessarily anyone in this thread) get all riled up over "unfair" portrayals of women in fiction. Its fiction, ffs.

I will shamelessly give my support for female characters that are:
weak
clumsy
vulnerable
shy
clumsy
pathetic
helpless
petite
objectified
moeified
fetishized
accessorized
etc-erized
nymphomaniacs
nymphophobes
sisters with brother complexes
sisters with sister complexes that also have brother complexes
robots
half-animals
ghosts
spirits
republicans

And anything else not on the list that someone would consider an "unfair" portrayal of women.

And, yes, you womens can have your chesty mens that are master chefs and good with kids and work as a lumberjack between saving kittens and making nonconsenual intimate advances while wearing flannel shirts and advertising for paper towel companies. Go nuts...or ovaries...or something.

Very Happy
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Whats confusing? This thread started out as a complaint over women portrayed in low quality anime, spiraled into a flame war on middle east culture (complete with some racism that really pissed me off, which is why I'm remaining silent on that count, lest I be banned), and is slowly getting back on topic (thank to mod intervention).
As for men who can cook and clean and whatnot, those aren't hard to find. I used to work for the forest service clearing dead treas in fire hazard areas, so that kinda makes me a fireman too^.^
Olivine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
Whats confusing? This thread started out as a complaint over women portrayed in low quality anime, spiraled into a flame war on middle east culture (complete with some racism that really pissed me off, which is why I'm remaining silent on that count, lest I be banned), and is slowly getting back on topic (thank to mod intervention).
As for men who can cook and clean and whatnot, those aren't hard to find. I used to work for the forest service clearing dead treas in fire hazard areas, so that kinda makes me a fireman too^.^

But the question remains: Do you own a flannel shirt?

Yeah, I have no idea how to enter a thread. People seemed to be splitting hairs over what female character was a good portrayal, so I responded to that. Best to just throw something at the topic and hope it sticks!
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
This is sort of a confusing thread. What is it exactly that is being complained about? That there is a lack of strong, independent, non-sexualized, non-moe/whateverotherinterest-erized females in something that is targeted at males?

The original claim was a sweeping claim about all anime, and not some specific genre.

As far as the watchmacallit test, inverting it is not very much fun, since 90%+ of big Hollywood movies pass, and a test that the vast majority of the highest profile media passes does not tell us anything distinctive about the media that passes it.
eyeofthetiger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Do not excessively quote. -TK]
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
While I completely agree with..

Olivine wrote:
Stuff targeted at males has female characters with characteristics males generally like. These characteristics may not coincide with reality.

Stuff targeted at females has male characters with characteristics females generally like. These characteristics may not coincide with reality.

.. and would basically agree with ..

eyeofthetiger wrote:
FINALLY,
Someone who gets it.

.. I think you really need to take a chill pill on the rest of it, or you won't really be around here for very long. Even guys can get sick of how women can be portrayed in anime - I'm pretty much over the whole "helpless broken moe girl with no personality latches on to protagonist" thing, and I'm a guy. That said, there are plenty of girls in series such as Amigami SS (take the current arc for example; but then look at the complete opposite of the previous arc) or Kaichou wa Maid-sama who are capable, independent and strong, whilst still basically appealing to a male audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
This is sort of a confusing thread. What is it exactly that is being complained about? That there is a lack of strong, independent, non-sexualized, non-moe/whateverotherinterest-erized females in something that is targeted at males? It has to be the male-targeted stuff that is being complained about, because the female-targeted stuff generally has the opposite problem. The males in the female-targeted stuff get "unfairly" portrayed.

I don't see the problem.

Stuff targeted at females has male characters with characteristics females generally like. These characteristics may not coincide with reality

Et all SNIP

Id just like to say I salute thee, oh voice of reason. Smile
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind and prefer the whole whimsical fantasy girls style.
Olivine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
As far as the watchmacallit test, inverting it is not very much fun, since 90%+ of big Hollywood movies pass, and a test that the vast majority of the highest profile media passes does not tell us anything distinctive about the media that passes it.

I've thought about it and I'm starting to question what that test even proves. I'm sure even chesty mens from those romance novels have to talk to each other about things other than women when they save kittens, compare flannel shirts, and swap Al Borland style beard trimming tips. The best test I could come up with was:

Do they have motivations?
If yes, then do they follow those motivations?
If the motivations get magically ignored for the sake of the plot, or just don't exist, then the characters aren't really being personified. They're less than human.

But I don't even know if I'm even on-topic anymore for the thread. Anime hyper

Skylark wrote:

.. I think you really need to take a chill pill on the rest of it, or you won't really be around here for very long.

*ears lower*
Me? or mr. eyeofthetiger? idunno what he said, but I wasn't trying to get my rage on or anything. Just saying stuff.
I knew this was a confusing thread!

But I still want to say something about this either way.
Skylark wrote:
Even guys can get sick of how women can be portrayed in anime - I'm pretty much over the whole "helpless broken moe girl with no personality latches on to protagonist" thing, and I'm a guy. That said, there are plenty of girls in series such as Amigami SS (take the current arc for example; but then look at the complete opposite of the previous arc) or Kaichou wa Maid-sama who are capable, independent and strong, whilst still basically appealing to a male audience.

The thing is, some of us guys aren't capable, independent, and strong. We like having characters who are our kindred spirits. Capable, independent, strong people are the one's who need no one, have no patience for anyone, and generally just kick life's ass without even trying. I can't relate to those types of characters.

The emotionally dependent, broken, timid types are those who I can relate to. I can see myself in those characters and put myself in their shoes. They're my kindred spirits.

Fun fact: Playing through Hanako's route in Katawa Shoujo nearly killed me. Anime hyper

I know there's also the terribly-written walking plot devices you describe out there too, but I don't think a characters social and mental strength or weakness is a measure of "good" or "bad" portrayal, either.

Kruszer wrote:
Id just like to say I salute thee, oh voice of reason. Smile

*Hands you the brush* All yours. Very Happy
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Skylark wrote:
.. I think you really need to take a chill pill on the rest of it, or you won't really be around here for very long.

*ears lower*
Me? or mr. eyeofthetiger?

Nah, his post got edited; TK mentioned the excessive quote but his post also had some very abrasive, unpleasant things to say about other people written in it.

Quote:
The thing is, some of us guys aren't capable, independent, and strong. We like having characters who are our kindred spirits. Capable, independent, strong people are the one's who need no one, have no patience for anyone, and generally just kick life's ass without even trying. I can't relate to those types of characters.

The emotionally dependent, broken, timid types are those who I can relate to. I can see myself in those characters and put myself in their shoes. They're my kindred spirits.

I guess I have trouble identifying with it for the same reasons. But you're wrong. Capable, independent, and strong people can also be lonely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:

well arn't you the manliest man on the anime forums. Isn't that like being the thinest kid at fat camp?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I've thought about it and I'm starting to question what that test even proves. I'm sure even chesty mens from those romance novels have to talk to each other about things other than women when they save kittens, compare flannel shirts, and swap Al Borland style beard trimming tips. The best test I could come up with was:

I believe the purpose of the test is to determine whether the women in any given movie are actual human characters, rather than accessories to the male characters. That's probably a bit of an oversimplification, though.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

1. Did you look at the post I linked to? At least half of the characters I named are from the past four years, including some from as recent as last season. If you just want to restrict it to the last couple of years, I can name other examples.

Never said they don't exist oO I said there is a lack of it.

2. Oh, I don't question at all that you can certainly find series like that every season. But is it pervasive? That I question.

If you're talking text book definitions, is it everywhere? No, exceptions exist. However, I stand firm when I say female independence is lacking in anime. I claim that the majority of anime does not reflect female independence. You, correct me if I'm wrong, is saying the opposite.

3. I'm not saying females shouldn't have faults. That's what makes a story. I concur. However, based on what I said in 2, I would like to see more animes where the women is the leader of the pack. More importantly not a figure head. I would like to see more women in anime not being used to strengthen the male's character(which happens a lot). I would like to see more women in anime not being exploited aka fanservice. I would like to see more anime where women are independent and don't make decisions because of the male.

Your response:

And how many male characters in anime you've seen recently make decisions partly or primarily because of a girl/woman?

Left quote because not clear on your question? More specifically how it relates to what I've said. Obviously a misunderstanding has occurred. The point I was addressing here are quality traits. What I've bolded. You only referred to the last sentence so...Anyhow, yes it is common to see men make decisions because of their female companions. The typical I must save the girl or protect her. What I'm addressing is how it is generally done. The female is usually the victim while the male is usually the hero. I'm saying that anime should break away from that norm. Also, typically in anime, when males are making decisions because of the female, it has nothing to do with self-sufficiency. Like I said, anime commonly uses the female character to strengthen the male's character. Honestly speaking, I believe a lot of anime can be done without the female. If me, a viewer is thinking that, then clearly there is something wrong.

4. And I work in a school (and a tutoring center) every weekday, so I have nearly as much direct contact with teenage girls and guys as you, as a teenager, do. I hear what they talk about, even talk to some of them directly about it. I know for fact that this goes on.

Hmm. Ok fair enough. This area maybe touchy to others so I wont delve into it.

4. Based on the American cartoons I've seen over the past decade, you don't see this substantially more in American cartoons than you do in anime.

Well, like I've already said, I'm an anime lover and apparently, I stopped watching American cartoons at a very young age. Therefore, I guess ur judgment on American animation is better than mine. However, from what I have seen, I find it hard to agree with you.

@ Key and Everyone:

Now to conclude because I can tell this will be a never ending debate, I rest my case. You could say something, I'll say something...we will never get anywhere. Maybe because I'm stubborn? Who knows? Bottom line is I say anime poorly represents Japanese women and you say it doesn't because of x,y, and z. That's fine and you can disagree, but my opinion wont change unless I see it with my own eyes. That means I'll just have continue to watch anime and see if my perceptions change. Now is this particular view really a bad thing? As one lady has pointed out, no. She stated that's their culture and we should respect it. I agree with that. Cultural differences, but as an American, I think its obvious why I would have a problem with what I see. Now I should note, I'm not judging Japanese women at all. I'm judging how they are portrayed in anime. At least how I see it. If you can read between the lines, the reason I find this problematic is because I don't believe Japanese women are weak, dependent, servants (submissive). From my experience, they are the opposite and those views are stereotypes. I just find it odd that in anime, they promote those stereotypes. Yes, anime creators make anime for their audience which is primarily male. However, I just think that a certain standard, a level of respect, should be maintained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9