• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All 12 Kimi ni Todoke Books on Japan's Weekly Top 100 Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Nah, people (or authors?) like relationships without closure, as it gives a property an excuse to extend its lifespan... which ironically manifests as stagnancy, I suppose.

But yeah, I don't know why either. KnT nevertheless keeps me entertained. Razz

This is definitely true. The only thing one has to look at is the rest of the body of work of the author. They're all one-shots and 1-2 volume series that didn't sell for anything.

So I'm not surprised that the author is purposely elongating the series by stagnating the relationship of the main pair. I'm just surprised that people like watching/reading a stagnant relationship, cause to me that's one of the most boring things ever.

If Arima and Miyazawa (Kare Kano) can go from bitter rivals to fascination with eachother, to friends, to a romantic relationship in a matter of 9 episodes, I don't see how in 26 episodes the main pair of KnT never even held hands or confessed or do anything but blush at eachother.

That's just plain ridiculous and I have no idea why such stagnant work sells 500k+ copies. My theory is that people are scared of love and like to watch/read the two do cute things together but never have the weight (or burden) of an actual relationship.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hmm... fear of love, maybe; although again I think the fear lies more in portrayal. It's harder to depict the tribulations of love in a (realistically?) interesting manner than the overtures to it, I suspect; Kare Kano is obviously a big fat counterpoint though.

Having said that, this isn't an entirely fair discussion. I recall somebody saying that KnT has gotten to the point in its paper run where romance has in fact developed. What point did that happen in the Kare Kano manga anyway? Did Gainax truncate the story (never mind those oh-so-wacky budget-conscious latter episodes)? I haven't read any of either... I know things moved quickly in Love Attack! though, but that series sports a slightly sillier premise.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
If anything, Gainax expanded upon the manga. It's in the fourth chapter (Kare Kano chapters are long, so the start of the second volume) when they state that they "officially" are going out, and the next chapter details their first date.

It's an excellent manga, by far my favorite of the shoujo variety. But I guess that's because I like stories that actually go somewhere and not dilly-dally around.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
don't get your hopes up for funimation getting the show, if they passed on toradora, I can see them passing on K-n-T, even toradora has a more definite ending than K-n-T.
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
I've read the volumes 1 and 2 so far and I liked it a lot. Shocked It's great! I don't see how its boring. In fact, I find it refreshing and I like that kind of love. I think before this manga, I almost never saw any other manga with such a relationship!

Mostly in media, I always see relationships that have so much "drama" and "love-triangles" and other things that are just not fun to watch for me. Shocked And I think nearly everything I saw in late 90's and early 2000's had that. Mad I was always thinking "Why can't it ever just be like this or that? No its always something messed up!" Always annoying to watch such revolting developments. Laughing Usually in such shows, I would just be watching for the action and not the relationships.

And now, finally! This kind of story exists! And it is enjoyable to watch! Shocked Where have you seen such stories like this, may I ask? Because I've never seen this kind of story before![And it's a good kind of story in my opinion!]
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

So I'm not surprised that the author is purposely elongating the series by stagnating the relationship of the main pair. I'm just surprised that people like watching/reading a stagnant relationship, cause to me that's one of the most boring things ever.

If Arima and Miyazawa (Kare Kano) can go from bitter rivals to fascination with eachother, to friends, to a romantic relationship in a matter of 9 episodes, I don't see how in 26 episodes the main pair of KnT never even held hands or confessed or do anything but blush at eachother.

That's just plain ridiculous and I have no idea why such stagnant work sells 500k+ copies. My theory is that people are scared of love and like to watch/read the two do cute things together but never have the weight (or burden) of an actual relationship.

I dunno, to a point, the dragged out relationships can be kind of fun. It's kind of like a rollercoaster, you're constantly wondering if they'll confess/hold hands/kiss, whatever, so that when it finally happens, it's can be pretty exciting. Although I agree that when they drag it out for too long, it can get extremely irritating. Something like Ah! My Goddess (sorry...) really bugged me, because the relationship is so bland and goes nowhere for way too long.
Personally, I like when they get the confession done with about halfway through the series, so that you get the dramatic tension, but also get to see the pair interact in an actual relationship, thorns and all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
PrimalX3 wrote:
I've read the volumes 1 and 2 so far and I liked it a lot. Shocked It's great! I don't see how its boring. In fact, I find it refreshing and I like that kind of love. I think before this manga, I almost never saw any other manga with such a relationship!

What kind of relationship would that be? Your entire post says stuff like "kind of love", "such a relationship", "this kind of story", and "good kind of story".

But you never actually try to say what about it makes it so special to you. So... I'm to understand that Kimi ni Todoke has no love triangle(s)? Cause I could have sworn that was the only purpose of Kento and Ume (Kento being a love interest for Sawako and Ume being a love-interest for Kazehaya as well as a bully to Sawako) in the series.

So before I can tell you where I have seen such stories like this, I need to know what it is you find special about KnT. Cause if it's just the main pair's apprehension to confess... well, there is a large amount of shows that contain that.
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess because it doesn't rely on fan-service or the like in order to be entertaining is what I meant. Shocked A lot of stories I've seen, even non-anime rely on stuff like that many a times. It might be entertaining for some, but I just find it to be annoying is all. Shocked So in a way, it seems original to me that Kimi is able to be entertaining in the first two volumes without having resorted to such things. Shocked I mean, every other manga I looked at, within the first volume alone will have something that makes me go. Exclamation I was surprised when nothing like that happened in Kimi!

Also, I was not aware there was a LT element later in the story. Shocked I'm only up to volume 2. Anyways, either way, I still think its deserves this popularity.

To answer your question, I like this kind of relationships because its innocent. Shocked It doesn't rely on ecchi gimmicks. And the characters are great. I don't feel annoyed or mad like when I see turbulent relationships in a story, or how it always ends badly[Unless the story is established to be dark from the beggining, that is the only time it makes sense.]
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If anything, Gainax expanded upon the manga. It's in the fourth chapter (Kare Kano chapters are long, so the start of the second volume) when they state that they "officially" are going out, and the next chapter details their first date.

It's an excellent manga, by far my favorite of the shoujo variety. But I guess that's because I like stories that actually go somewhere and not dilly-dally around.

Oh okay, good to know. My exposure to shoujo anime is limited, but Kare Kano is a definite favorite for me too. The thought of ploughing through 21 volumes has so far prevented me from investing in the manga, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2