• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Women in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
I was framing it in the context of comparing Emiyo's behaviour to a "universal" definition of gender equality*. I was not referring to nor using any culturally-based versions* of what is and isn't sexism.

But whatever. I don't want to discuss this point anymore, since I think that would be wise (everyone else nods their heads in unison). I'll pop back into the thread once the discussion drifts away from the topic of Emiya Shirou.

Where biology and technology permit, women should get equal respect, equal opportunities, equal freedoms, et cetera.

Such as women must not drive cars, the place of women is to be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant, women have to wear a hijab in public, that sort of thing.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
To touch on the real world side for a moment, I think RHachicho puts it the best with: "Also I would suggest that if japanese women are happy with their society then no matter what kind of sexism we try to accuse the society of it is really just sticking our noses into business that dousn't concern us."

I think that there is a tendency for some people to use their own culture and morals as a lens when looking at other cultures around the world. I'm not trying to insinuate that the stereotypical weak, unintelligent woman in Japanese culture is all good, but it has been a pretty significant part of the culture there for quite some time. As others have pointed out, a lot of women in Japan are fighting that traditional stereotype, and in my experience its little more than a ghost of the past by now. I also don't think its quite accurate to point to sexual harassment in the subways as evidence of Japanese sexism. There are women only cars on most crowed train lines; its not a complete non-issue. However, I don't really think its quite as bad as some people hear it is, and to say that there aren't plenty of sexual harassment problems here (USA) would be grossly inaccurate as well Sad

As far as anime goes, two series that I don't think I've seen mentioned here that I think sport some pretty strong female leads are Nodame Cantabile and Planetes. Nodame certainly has her flaws, I mean she can barely make food for herself at some points, but I want to think that this is simply because she is a total loon Smile I think she exhibits plenty of strong qualities, and I really enjoyed her character. I also found Tanabe Ai to be a great character in this respect as well, She conforms to some of the organizational exceptions of women / new people in a Japanese corporate environment, but she also shows a great deal of independence and ability to get things done. I found her, and the whole cast of Planetes, really, to be very refreshing.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
bahumut75 wrote:
As far as anime goes, two series that I don't think I've seen mentioned here that I think sport some pretty strong female leads are Nodame Cantabile and Planetes.

Quote:
Fee Carmichael from Planetes is strong willed without being a Green Beret ~ even Ai Tanabe, though a bit more traditional lead character, has more depth to her than appears at first.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Where does he act like it? He isn't condescending towards her unlike some other masters.

When he insists of doing her job, even though she is the best one who can do it. You can argue that he wasn't intentionally being sexist and condescending all you like, and you may be right. But subconsciously, he thought that she shouldn't fight, nor should she be given the choice to fight if he has any say. She told him she wished to fight, and he ignored her for quite a long time. Nice.

He is sexist. To deny it is to deny the truth.

Ok for starters the fact she is the best one is not evident from day 1. She had to work up to that. If Gilgamesh, or even arguably Berserker, showed up on day 1 she'd be a grease stain on the floor. And of course he ignored her will to fight because he cared about her. No one willingly lets someone they care about go fight and risk their lives without having an issue with it. Again the idea of sexism vs chivalry is all about attitude and intention. He was not trying to be sexist nor take away her free will. He was trying to do all he could to keep someone he cared about safe. If you see that as sexist then that's just sad.

While she may not have immediately been a better fighter than Berserker or Gilgamesh, she was leagues beyond Shiro in skill and capability, plus if she died, her death would not be permanent, whereas Shiro had no reason to believe his wouldn't be. His supposedly valiant sacrifice would be utterly pointless. And why exactly is his immediate assumption be that he needs to protect someone whose role he knows is to protect him? He treats none of the male characters the way he treats the female characters - like they are fragile creatures in constant need of someone to look out for them. Chivalry isn't noble if you're being condescending to the recipient of your intended protection.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
I don't get that same attitude, "I don't need no man" as you stated, from Shurrei.

You pretty much described the "I don't need no man.." in that she's capable of doing anything a man can do, but is often prevented when men don't accept her attitude.

Do you really see Shurei defending herself? Her claims of "I can take care of myself" were beyond acceptable when such a claim was foolish given she had no clue how large the issue was which is why the men defended her.

Would this be considered sexist? I don't believe so, but some may see it differently.

Quote:
...but I never want to hear from anyone that I can not do something purely because I'm a woman.

A very reasonable request. As a man, the last thing I ever want to hear, while trying to be nice, is "I don't need a man to open the door for me."

I have to say, this attitude is more common in anime than sexism is.

Don't they call these girls "tsundere"?
Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
1. Early, women were portrayed more as heroines. Respectable. Now woman are either portrayed as whiny horny sluts or as pretentious girls who have a smug sense of superiority.

You're using a few prominent examples to make generalizations while also looking at older anime titles through rose-colored glasses. It wasn't that good before nor is it that bad now.

Quote:
2. Uh most anime degrades women period. Not debatable and a feminist would have a ball. I mean you have your good female characters, but often anime likes to give their female characters faults. Most common ones are they are weak, mentally weak, not self-sufficient, refrigerator syndrome...

Change "most" to "some" in the first sentence and I might agree with you, but you're absolutely wrong about how this isn't debatable; saying that is saying that something is fact when there is insufficient evidence to establish it as such. While there are unquestionably some women that are helpless without their male counterparts, to say that's even true in the majority in anime is ridiculous. What have you been watching lately?

And why shouldn't female characters have "character faults?" Characters who entirely lack them are dull, whether male or female.

Quote:
Oh and then there is the common notion that women are helpless without their male counterpart. You and I could easily name 10 characters similar to Naruto. However, can you just as easily name 10 female characters that have the same traits as Naruto? I could not. I would have to actually do research. Hmm I guess the Miyazaki female characters portray a good image of women. Chihiro, San, and Sophie

Why would I want to name 10 female characters like Naruto? He's obnoxious.

But seriously, I do understand what you're getting at and I would have no difficulty naming that many worthy female characters off the top of my head. Flip back to my post in the first page and you'll see plenty of examples.

Quote:
Also, Japan has this idea that women must chase men. Never the opposite. Well, I think its obvious that's not how it works here.

Really? How much have you associated with teens and preteens lately? Both from personal observations and what I hear from parents of teens, this happens all of the time in the U.S., and decidedly more in the current generation than in any previous one. Besides, you're generalizing about Japan and in (probably very) inaccurate ways.

You seem to be losing sight of the fact that a lot of the romantic behavior of girls towards boys in anime is either wish fulfillment or intended as a joke; it is definitely not intended to be a representation of reality, except in a few rare cases.

(And besides, it isn't like the female character lusting after a male character is unique to - or even original to - anime. I can remember old cartoon shorts in the U.S. dating back 60+ years which show this kind of thing as a joke.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Where does he act like it? He isn't condescending towards her unlike some other masters.

When he insists of doing her job, even though she is the best one who can do it. You can argue that he wasn't intentionally being sexist and condescending all you like, and you may be right. But subconsciously, he thought that she shouldn't fight, nor should she be given the choice to fight if he has any say. She told him she wished to fight, and he ignored her for quite a long time. Nice.

He is sexist. To deny it is to deny the truth.

Ok for starters the fact she is the best one is not evident from day 1. She had to work up to that. If Gilgamesh, or even arguably Berserker, showed up on day 1 she'd be a grease stain on the floor. And of course he ignored her will to fight because he cared about her. No one willingly lets someone they care about go fight and risk their lives without having an issue with it. Again the idea of sexism vs chivalry is all about attitude and intention. He was not trying to be sexist nor take away her free will. He was trying to do all he could to keep someone he cared about safe. If you see that as sexist then that's just sad.

While she may not have immediately been a better fighter than Berserker or Gilgamesh, she was leagues beyond Shiro in skill and capability, plus if she died, her death would not be permanent, whereas Shiro had no reason to believe his wouldn't be. His supposedly valiant sacrifice would be utterly pointless. And why exactly is his immediate assumption be that he needs to protect someone whose role he knows is to protect him? He treats none of the male characters the way he treats the female characters - like they are fragile creatures in constant need of someone to look out for them. Chivalry isn't noble if you're being condescending to the recipient of your intended protection.

Wait, wasn't Saber severely weakened and handicapped in the anime/Fate route? As in, "If she fights too hard she actually will DIE". I'd say Shriou has every right to want to protect her or keep her out of harms way. He doesn't exihibit this behaviour at all in the UBW/HF routes of the game, in which Saber is at her full power, nor at Rin at any point since she too can hold her own in a fight.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Saber is the kind of person that would attempt spoiler[a solo assault on an enemy fortress while underpowered and injured]. In short, an arrogant moron. Shiro is also an idiot with no sense of self preservation and a hero complex. They both needed to protect each other and be be protected from their own stupidity. That's equality not sexism. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Wait, wasn't Saber severely weakened and handicapped in the anime/Fate route? As in, "If she fights too hard she actually will DIE". I'd say Shriou has every right to want to protect her or keep her out of harms way. He doesn't exihibit this behaviour at all in the UBW/HF routes of the game, in which Saber is at her full power, nor at Rin at any point since she too can hold her own in a fight.

Again, I have not played the games so I could not say with any sort of certainty. What I have heard and read seems to go with your assessment that in the other routes/games Saber is much more capable on her own from the start without any help. That would, if true, lend more credence to the idea Shirou is not sexist but just trying to protect her as he cares for her. Especially if what you also say is true regarding his lack of this behavior in the other routes.

Kruszer wrote:
Saber is the kind of person that would attempt spoiler[a solo assault on an enemy fortress while underpowered and injured]. In short, an arrogant moron. Shiro is also an idiot with no sense of self preservation and a hero complex. They both needed to protect each other and be be protected from their own stupidity. That's equality not sexism. Wink

Hadn't thought of it that way but you make a good point heh. Guess it goes to show why heroism often equates to a shorter life span. Plus on a non joking perspective the creators themselves show that Shiro is a moron and think so to a degree. Hence Archer. I haven't not played the games but I've read up on FS enough to know who he really is. Makes his constant condescending tone to Shiro follow your line of thought Kruszer.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I haven't played the game, so I wouldn't know, but even weakened, Saber is still significantly stronger than Shiro, and the only reason he doesn't die (more than once) is because of a factor he isn't even aware of. In which case his whole chivalry routine would have been pointless because he would have failed to protect Saber.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I haven't played the game, so I wouldn't know, but even weakened, Saber is still significantly stronger than Shiro, and the only reason he doesn't die (more than once) is because of a factor he isn't even aware of. In which case his whole chivalry routine would have been pointless because he would have failed to protect Saber.

I'm not talking about Shirou protecting Saber physically, as her Master, he can order her not to battle.

And again, let me explain more clearly:

1-Servants need magical power to remain in the material world. They use it up by using their attacks and hal, and can regain it from their Masters. Shirou, however, has no magical power to speak, so he can restore any of Saber's power.

2-Saber was severely weakened at the beginning of the series. If she uses her ultimate attack ONCE she'll use up all her power and die.

It's not really an issue that Saber is stronger than Shirou, it's that Shirou wants to keep Saber out of harms way and risky battles as much as possible.
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Try the Bechdel test:

1. Does it have at least two (named) women in it?
2. Do they talk to each other?
3. When they talk, is it about anything other a man?

This does not work on some long series. But it does work on the short series, the OVAs and movies.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
It's not really an issue that Saber is stronger than Shirou, it's that Shirou wants to keep Saber out of harms way and risky battles as much as possible.

Which would make sense if the battles were avoidable and he didn't try to fight in her stead. This was not the situation that happened against Berserker, at the very least, and I think against Lancer a couple of times as well.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
My fiance wants me to say something here. Feels like a loaded question for me, but here I go.
As anyone who's spent more than a couple of weeks in Japan can attest (I served for two years in Okinawa), Japanese women are very different from those in most western cultures. They are smaller, physically speaking, and are often expected to do what is best for the family. Gender roles in Japan are so strict, it can get really tripy some times. For those who have never been there, I suggest reading Otomen, and bearing in mind that there is very little exaggeration. Men are expected to be strong and macho, girls are expected to like cooking and teddy bears.
Before I returned to the States, I met a girl who wanted to be a physicist. Her parents refused to help her pay for college, because that wasn't a proper career for a woman (this is a very big statement in Japan, where parents are expected to pay for their children's higher education). Proper careers in Japan include: teacher, made, waitress, etc.

I don't know what else there is to say other than whats already been stated by others. Japanese culture is very different from ours, and applying our own view of morality and femininity is just ignorant. The vast majority of Japanese girls are perfectly content with the way their society treats them. Those who are not, make their own path in the world; and become stronger because of it. The girl I mentioned earlier was recently placed in one of the most renowned research labs in Japan, and she wouldn't be half the woman she is today if it wasn't for the struggles she went through.

So um, yeah. Also, the female cast from Kashimashi (with the exception of Jan-Puu) show some very interesting ways that a girl can be strong.
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it normally depends on what type of anime your watching. Some shounen anime will depict women in a stereotypical way. Though anime like Crest of the Stars will show strong, capable, and admirable female characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9