• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who do you think should dub Heroman?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I initially thought that Disney had claimed the rights to the series since their name was on it in Japan, but apparently during the Kawamoto panel at AX awhile back Bones did a spliced demonstration of a possible dub, meaning their still trying to sell it to a english distributor.

So who do you think should dub it? It's currently one of the more mainstream(and awesome) series airing on Japanese television right now, and since it's heavily Americanized, it has the potential to do really well for a younger audience here, as it's a mostly kid friendly series with at best a couple of sexual or particularly violent scenes.

A small part of me wants 4 Kids to claim this series if they can as it is the kind of series they'd need to save them from the grave. It is a series that's currently being simulcasted though, so there is the possibility that a bit of the hardcore otaku audience is interested in it meaning it's something Funi may want to invest in if that rumor about 4 Kids and Nicktoons wanting more anime from them is true...

I think Viz, Bandai or Disney(really didn't want to say), are the ones who should invest in it since it would likely mean a Bang Zoom dub with Stan Lee hopefully voicing his character(sure does love his cofee).
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought I saw this question at Toonzone before, but anyways.

Stan Lee would probably be very touchy about the idea of someone else voicing or playing a cameo of himself whether if it a cartoon, live-action movie, TV series, or appearing as a special guest of a talk show. And he and many would probably agree that any cameo or representation of Stan Lee should be done and voiced by Stan Lee himself.

In other words, you'd probably be looking for a unionized studio with the same people who worked at the Disney's dubs of Miyazaki's films. But I wouldn't rule out Bang Zoom! Entertainment (probably the ONLY unionized studio who mostly work on anime in LA on top of my head) for two reasons:

1) Many of the voice actors who worked for the dubs of Miyazaki's works are normally "pre-lay" voice actors instead of ADR voice actors (only exception is Crispin Freeman, who worked on two of the Disney's dubs of Miyazaki's films, though he have good experience in both "pre-lay" and ADR voice acting). Heck, in some of the dub casts of Miyazaki's films, they hired actors who aren't even regulars in voice acting at all.

2) Bang Zoom! Entertainment have a reputation of producing one of the best anime dubs in the industry (across from Miyazaki's films). Some of their best dubs include Lucky Star, Eureka Seven, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Gurren Lagann (YMMV though). And with Eric P. Sherman controversial statements in late April, a lot of fans really don't want to see Bang Zoom! go away. Stan Lee might turn to Bang Zoom! to dub his anime work since Bang Zoom! does normally pick up voice actors who are regulars in anime (Wendee Lee, Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Yong Bosch, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum are a few examples). And even though Bang Zoom! is a union studio, Stan Lee can easily afford this and he probably wants to pick up the best English voice actors to dub Heroman.

So you probably be looking for a union studio in California to dub Heroman (since Stan Lee is part of some sort of union). The chances of Sentai Filmworks and Funimation would be really slim since they use their own home dubbing studios in Texas which are mostly non-union (them outsourcing dubs to LA are very rare unless if they want to keep the continuity of a series that was dubbed by a previous company). You'd probably would expect James Arnold Taylor, Tara Strong, Greg Cipes, Ashley Johnson, John DiMaggio, Wil Wheaton, or Hynden Walch. If he decides to choose Bang Zoom! Entertainment expect Crispin Freeman, Wendee Lee, Michelle Ruff, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Yuri Lowenthal instead (although the previous list I've mentioned can fit into this as well). Don't expect Texan regulars like Todd Haberkorn, Luci Christian, Eric Vale, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Chris Patton, or Jerry Jewell to be in it, since Stan Lee wouldn't be interested.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought the obvious choice would have been Disney, I know that they recently started branching out with anime, I think it was with Naruto Shippuden. And I also think there was something about them buying Marvel, if they marketed this right they could have a plenty of merchandise, so it makes a lot of sense.

A part of me has also thought of 4Kids, I could see this possibly going with LOTS of merchandise comeing out, with kids running around with Joey's gunlet. But I do know that they would probably bastersise the show, for one all the implied deaths would try to be removed, including Nick spoiler[even though there is the possibility he is still alive]. But maybe they will put some more clothes then just speedos on professor Denton in the beach episode, that would be a plus.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Bang Zoom! Entertainment is unionized? I was under the impression that they were not.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought the obvious choice would have been Disney, I know that they recently started branching out with anime, I think it was with Naruto Shippuden. And I also think there was something about them buying Marvel, if they marketed this right they could have a plenty of merchandise, so it makes a lot of sense.

A part of me has also thought of 4Kids, I could see this possibly going with LOTS of merchandise comeing out, with kids running around with Joey's gunlet. But I do know that they would probably bastersise the show, for one all the implied deaths would try to be removed, including Nick spoiler[even though there is the possibility he is still alive]. But maybe they will put some more clothes then just speedos on professor Denton in the beach episode, that would be a plus.

While Disney would be a good selection in that they could get Stan Lee to voice, they'd likely be as bad as 4 Kids considering their Savers dub and Shipuuden edits(those only bother me, because they make me wonder why they bothered to slap a PG rating on).

Well whoever dubs it would likely be working alongside Stan Lee anyway, since he's working on getting it dubbed, so I doubt they'd be able to take a lot of liberties with the dub.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The only connection the series has with Marvel is that it's made by Stan Lee. But there's no other real connection there.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Bang Zoom! Entertainment is unionized? I was under the impression that they were not.

Well yeah, Bang Zoom! is union. Why would they hire Crispin Freeman (who strictly works in union shops) in some of their dubs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1