• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 20 Most Popular Anime/Game Names to Give Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
For the girls Mikoto, Yuna, Yui, Sakura, Mio, Yuri, Nagisa, Rin are completely normal and very common names in Japan (apart from nagisa I think all are even in the top 100 of most popular names.)

For guys Touma, Sousuke, Tomoya, Kyosuke and Kyo are very normal as well.

So not a very spectacular list.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
My mom once told me that if The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time had come out ten years ealier and she had played it, my name might have been Saria...

I sometimes name my pets after anime/manga/videogame characters. For instance, there's Puar (cat), Chibi-sama (a little red rabbit) and Teto (another rabbit). My only pet with a more serious name is Senka (another rabbit), and while that does have a meaning or two in Japanese, I don't think any Japanese parents would name their kid Senka Laughing
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
Siouxsie wrote:

I'm also surprised that Sousuke was associated with Full Metal Panic before Naruto?

There's a Sousuke in Naruto? You mean Sasuke? Sasuke has its own pop culture link to ninjas in general long before Naruto. So most people won't think "oh Naruto" but rather "oh, he's a ninja". Sasuke is a fairly uncommon name.

I'm use to unique names. I know a "Early", "Second", "Third" (and yes, Second and Third are brothers), "Able", "Sasha", "Song", "Melody", "Sunny" (with a U), "Star", "Ruby", "Eden" and my Aunt's first 3 boys have the same intials; S.T.X. The last 4th boy got away with I.M.X.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't name my boy "Cloud". Maybe "Sky" or "Skyler" but not Cloud. "Sora" would be iffy. Probably stick to the english version. And asides for Nanoha, all the girl names sound fairly reasonable. I could actually use "Yuna", "Yui", and "Mio". Might offend family if I used the others. I'm also tempted to name my boy "Godzilla". How awesome would that be? I hope he grows up to be a football player.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
After Dr. Zhivago came out, there was an upsurge in the number of girls named Lara, and the names of soap opera characters often influence what people name their children. To me, this isn't all that different. As noted, most of these are perfectly normal names in Japan, and the main reasons I'm surprised to see "Cloud" is that it's a mouthful in Japanese.

That said, I love that half of the respondents basically said that this question was nuts. I think that's probably right; most people don't (at least consciously) pick a name based off a character in any medium.

**disclaimer: I would totally name a girl Danaerys (Dany for short) or Eowyn, so my opinion is perhaps skewed. Wink
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm use to unique names. I know a "Early", "Second", "Third"

Jyu-oh-sei!

Quote:

, "Able", "Sasha", "Song", "Melody", "Sunny" (with a U), "Star", "Ruby", "Eden"

Sasha isn't that unusual, neither is Ruby.

I know a kid named Pino. Pino is what they call Bigbird in Dutch...
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Cloud....

Sora = girl name?

Sousuke, Touma, Yuri and Kyo(suke?) don't seem bad. They're already used enough? Or maybe they just sound cool and that's it,, they aren't commonly used? I'm open to enlightenment.

Mikoto and Yui seem fine. The rest, mmmmm. Confused That's all I feel is 'mmm".
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Some of those actually aren't too bad. I knew Sakura was going to be on there - I called it before I clicked on the article. Anime hyper
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
I always thought the names were just common names that some in Japan would actually be called, so what's the problem anyway? I wouldn't christen a child, that wasn't Japanese in any way, a Japanese name for the sake of my hobby, that would be cruel. Rolling Eyes
matthewlow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
My brother was going to name his daughter Kagome as a practical joke. I got mad, so it ended up being her middle name, again as a practical joke. Of course, he decides to get another anime based name for her first name...

Kira

Yeah, I wonder what's going to happen once she finds out.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
What is it with people naming their kids Yuri. Don't they know what that means, or does it secretly mean something else as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
What is it with people naming their kids Yuri. Don't they know what that means, or does it secretly mean something else as well.

Yuri's a very common name throughout the world.

I seriously doubt someone's going to walk up to the person and go "There's not enough of you in anime."
GenericHero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
As of this writing I am hellbent on naming my daughter Kallen from Code Geass. Just sayin
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Of course, he decides to get another anime based name for her first name...

Kira

Yeah, I wonder what's going to happen once she finds out.

Kira is not necessarily anime based. It's used in Japan, but also in a lot of other countries (popular variant is Keira, as in Keira Knightley). Definitely a much better choice than Kagome, which is not even a real name in real life Japan (and therefore really a joke).

But maybe don't tell him about Kira, else he might search for a new punishment if the child is not yet born o.o;

Last edited by maaya on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:

Lily, it means lily....
"Yuri", the genre of anime/manga focusing on lesbian characters, became called that because a character named Yuri often showed up, (something to do with calling lesbians in Japan "The Lily Tribe")
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
I might use a Japanese middle name for a child (not necessarily anime-related); I think the first names will be based on biblical or literary characters though.

I knew a guy named Cloud. I met him at a costume party on Halloween, and he was dressed as Cloud from FF7 (he really fit the part too). So when he introduced himself as Cloud, my friend and I were like, We know you're supposed to be Cloud, but what's *your* name? Of course, he was born before FF7 existed. (And yes, his name really was Cloud; at least, that's how he was listed in the school directory.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6