• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How difficult is it to recognize a seiyuu?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
As a few people have mentioned already it really depends on how closely the actors stick to a certain archetype.

Aya Hirano (Haruhi), Hiroshi Kamiya (Zetsubou Sensei), Chiaki Omigawa (Soul Eater), Norio Wakamoto (Everything), Rie Kugumiya (Tsuntsun Deredere), Jun Fukuyama (Code Geass) and Ono Daisuke (Haruhi) are all examples of actors who very rarely change the quality in their voice. They may change things up now and then but they are usually instantly recognisable.

However, there are many actors who have a large range and will often take you completely by surprise when you find out they acted two completely different characters. For example:

Satomi Satou - Ritsu (K-On!), Aria (Seitokai Yakuindomo)
Miyuki Sawashiro - Perrine (Strike Witches), Maria (Zetsubou Sensei), Shinku (Rozen Maiden)
Romi Park - Edward (Fullmetal Alchemist), Teresa (Claymore)
Megumi Ogata - Shinji (Evangelion), Ayato Naoi (Angel Beats)

Etc etc. Of course, an actor will occasionally need to take on an entirely different role than they are used to and that can easily change how they sound to us, especially for actors who often play a mix of males/females. Still, it's interesting to go on voice actor hunts around ANN sometimes, it's surprising what one can find. Very Happy
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think Romi Park has that huge of a range as I can usually immediately tell when she's playing a guy (surprisingly the few times she plays girls, I don't really notice).
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's fair to say Romi Paku doesn't have range when you're comparing similiar roles, in this case teenage boys.

Still though I think Ed sounds a little different than Hitsugaya for example. But she certaintly has a distinctive voice and is extremely easy to pick up for me, even her female roles.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say Romi Paku doesn't have range when you're comparing similiar roles, in this case teenage boys.

Still though I think Ed sounds a little different than Hitsugaya for example. But she certaintly has a distinctive voice and is extremely easy to pick up for me, even her female roles.

I didn't say she had absolutely no range. I just said not that huge of one. Like it's a distinctive voice, like you said, and it's really easy for me to know when it's her.

If we want two completely different roles, how about like Maki from Air Master and that cat-boy-person from Clannad After Story. Two completely different roles but I knew it was Romi immediately in each one even though it's a different presentation in each one. I'm not saying I don't like her BTW.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
My fault Garfield, you're absolutely right. You didn't say that she had absolutely no range, that was my bad.

Anyway I guess my friendly question is what do you consider range? Cause you already established that she can play different roles. Maybe Im mistaking range for versatality.

- I apologize if I sound like im being sarcastic, im not.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
With male seiyuu I can recognize Tomokazu Seki, Tomokazu Sugita, Shou Hayami, Toshihiko Seki, Kaneto Shiozawa, Kappei Yamaguchi, Akira Ishida, Unshou Ishizuka, Takehito Koyasu, Ryo Horikawa, Toshio Furukawa, Shuuichi Ikeda, Ryusei Nakao, and Kazuhiko Inoue.

With female seiyuu I can recognize Noriko Hidaka, Kikuko Inoue, Rei Sakuma, Megumi Hayashibara, Saeko Shimazu, Yoshiko Sakakibara, Maria Kawamura, Michie Tomizawa, Chisa Yokoyama, Ai Orikasa, Urara Takano, Mariko Kouda, Junko Iwao, Rica Matsumoto, Houko Kuwashima, and Yuko Miyamura.

With those seiyuu I listed, I can zero in on their voice and identify the roles they have done based on vocal tones with a unique quality that I don't confuse them with someone else, such as Kikuko Inoue who usually does sweet-sounding characters like Belldandy of Ah! My Goddess and Kasumi Tendo of Ranma 1/2, Junko Iwao's cute character roles like Tomoyo Daidouji of CCS and Akane Higurashi/Soir of the Mai HiME/Otome series, as well as characters like Ceres of Ayashi no Ceres and Tomoe Yukishiro of Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal in which she voiced the characters with a more mature-sounding voice. It's easy to recognize Akira Ishida's voice, whom is well known and has a long list of credits in his name.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
I thought I could recognize Kikuko Inoue, until I started watching Nadia, where I did not recognize her. It's too bad the Japanese dub of Ogenki Clinic has been supressed, so I can't hear her far out of her usual range.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I recognise a lot of them by character name rather than by va name (for instance, I knew straight away that the AI in sora kake girl was Lelouch, as with Lawrence in Spice and Wolf, and that Horo was Kallen's va...)

The one I do know is one of my favourites; Kugimiya Rie. I don't necessarily like the characters of the parts she has to play (Louise, Shana, Nagi) although some are awesome (Taiga) but she undeniably does an excellent job of them all, and has a memorable voice to boot. She's probably my favourite..

Same here. I can almost instantly recognize a voice as a character from another series, but I don't bother to learn their actual names.

And speaking of Kugimiya, she totally nailed Kagura in Gintama, and then when I started watching Toradora a few days ago, I was like "Hey, It's Kagura!".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
FOr me personally it's rather difficult in most cases with Japanese VA's as opposed to American VA's. I can pick out English VA's pretty well at this point, but then again I do prefer dubs over subs. I think your preference in watching it subbed or dubbed has a big impact on which set of VA's you can pick out better over others. In my case I think it also matters since English is my native language. That being the case it's easier to pick out different tones and voice connotations in terms of distinguishing and recognizing voices. I would tend to think it''s the same for most people. Some though regardless of their language just have a very unique and identifiable voice.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I recognize more English VAs then Japanese VAs. I can recognize maybe some Japanese VA's voice (even in dubbing over American stuff if they used that same voice Very Happy ). But a lot of time I can't recognize their voice because the VA keep changing their tones, and their pitch like for example:

-Rie Kugimiya voiced Mizore in Rosario + Vampire she used a different voice when she voiced Mizore unlike how she voiced Shana and other tsundere character.
-Tsukune Aono's VA Daisuke Kishio: when I first heard that voice, I thought it was Kappei Yamaguichi who is voicing him till I look up and it isn't him.
-Misato Fukuen who voiced Yoshika Miyafuji in Strike Witches and Kurumu Kurono in Rosario + Vampire used a different voice for the 2 characters. I never thought the 2 characters would be voiced by the same VA because Misato Fukuen used a different voice for both of them.

When I watch American thing dubbed in Japanese I failed on recognizing the VAs because a lot of them sound too similar to one another.

However, I was able to recognize some VAs:

Mamiko Noto: her shy-soft voice makes it easy for me to recognize her voice.

Mie Sonozaki: Beside her numerous anime voiceovers, and her voicing Ashe in Final Fantasy 12. I recognize her voice in the Japanese dub of Bioshock.

Romi Park: When she voiced a male character, she's very recognizable.

Rie Kugimiya: if she used her tsundere voice I would be able to recognize her like when she voiced Ayumi for the Japanese dub of X-blades, I recognize her voice when I first heard it.

Tessho Genda: I hear his voice a lot in several anime and I was able to recognize his voice not only in anime, but I recognize his voice as Batman and Sam Fisher for the Japanese dub.

So for me a lot of time I can't recognize the VA's voice because they can sound too similar to another VA unless you can recognize their voice like I can recognize Mamiko Noto's voice from several anime I watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motaku96

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
It's become increasingly easier to recognize the seiyuu's voices lately. Guess I'm just getting used to them. The thing is, I don't actually recognize the seiyuu, but the character I most associate with that voice. Like say for instance an anime with sugita tomokazu. Whatever character he plays, I always hear Gintoki(Gintama)'s voice. I can't hear anything else. It's like Gintoki is the voice actor.
TenoriTaiga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
I bet you weren't able to recognize Daichi as being voiced by Rie Kugimiya in Ladies versus Butlers.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Daichi was not very hard to notice as Kugimiya Rie... but at the sametime I've seen almost every big show Rie has been in.

Basically the more you watch and listen to someone you can notice them more in other shows.

I will admit for some reason though I sometimes mix up Hikaru MIDORIKAWA and Daisuke Ono.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
FOr me personally it's rather difficult in most cases with Japanese VA's as opposed to American VA's.
Same here. I mean, the only time I've really been able to pick out a seiyuu was Noboyuki Hiyama as Hirano in High School of the Dead, and that was only after having played over 240 hours of Tales of Rebirth.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, another Japanese VA to add to my list of people who stands out to me is Masaya Onosaka. The voice of Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Momo from Prince of Tennis, and Shinji from Bleach amongst other roles.

But you know what I do find difficult to figure out? Whether Nozomu Sasaki is a guy or girl. Seriously. I don't know and can't tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5