• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Department of Justice Files Suit Over Comics Scan Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
His clearly not under any delusions he just doesn't care.

Except then proceeding to argue that he does care:
Quote:
It's like the speed subber who cares more about being the first one released and not about the quality of the sub. His just in it for the views, and the ego those views bring.

And hence ego-stroking is likely to be an important part of recruiting volunteers to do the work that allows the big sites to generate a profit. And the ego defense against the charge of being a pathetic patsy being taken advantage of by the people who are in it for the money keeps coming up in the repeated declarations about not being a fan of the current owner.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
More copyright absolutism bullshit. Did the point about how this is unrealistic in an era of changing technology and changing expectations about the use of non-rival, non-excludable information make a nice sound as it went wooshing over your head?

I admit freely I am older than most posting here (50). However,the fact I'm on a computer indicates I have a certain ability to use some technology.
And I probably come from an era where we were taught to play nice & not steal. I'm sorry. No matter what words you use to convince yourself & your cronies you can't steal words or ideas (aren't all inventions ideas? Are not words put together in in a series to create a story a tangible object? A wizard is a wizard, but Harry Potter is a specific wizard with specific adventures created by his author) if the person who put that art on that page & who put that story together didn't say "Hell yeah, you can post my tale on the net for free" then no, you have no right on this planet to take the art that person slaved over to make.
Go make your own web comic & see how many people crash your site hitting it. Leave the art made by someone else to that person to decide if they want it up for free or not.

Nothing's whooshing over my head, dude. Put your money where your mouth is & make your OWN glory off something you make with your own hands & not by posting links to things you didn't create.
The thing I really don't get is where is the satisfaction defying the wishes of the person who made the art in the first place? No fan I can conceive would want to rip off the person giving him/her this pleasure. I WANT to compensate the artist so the artist will make me more art.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And I probably come from an era where we were taught to play nice & not steal. I'm sorry. No matter what words you use to convince yourself & your cronies you can't steal words or ideas (aren't all inventions ideas? Are not words put together in in a series to create a story a tangible object? A wizard is a wizard, but Harry Potter is a specific wizard with specific adventures created by his author) if the person who put that art on that page & who put that story together didn't say "Hell yeah, you can post my tale on the net for free" then no, you have no right on this planet to take the art that person slaved over to make.

Yes, there is something different about controlling the duplication of ideas, than from traditional property rights. If I made a tv set and sold it to someone, I don't have a right to keep demanding money from the person I sold it to. Copyright is just a legal construct, and without it, nobody has a right to control the production of copies of the information that make up copyrights (which is why, for example, nobody talks about discoverers in basic science having a "right" to control the distribution and discussion of that knowledge).

As I've pointed out, multiple times, harping on the "it's illegal" point is idiotic. The system itself is becoming fundamentally dysfunctional and pointless in an era where the distribution of information doesn't cost a fortune anymore. You're doing the manga producers no favors, by the way, in delaying that shift.

LordRedHand wrote:
Your just taking the easy/lazy path to this, waiting upon others to enact your desires and will. so don't complain when they aren't leaping to take on the risks and costs of your "awesome" plan.

I'm simply pointing out that it's inevitable barring an incredibly unlikely surge of serious copyright cooperation across many countries. If the manga producers don't figure that out, and ways to make money off of it instead of trying to cling to an increasingly obsolete business model, there simply won't be any manga or anime (or there will be much less). No amount of bitching about "lazy" thieves will change that, and perhaps if the manga business spent more time trying to work with the technological change instead of trying to fight it*, they'd be better off.

* Seriously, how effective do you think that Coalition is going to be? The RIAA, which has the support of much larger partners and resources from the recording industry, failed to staunch the spread of piracy and unlicensed duplication in the US (which has an exceptionally copyright friendly legal regime). They're going to just end up wasting a good chunk of resources for 5-10 years, then shift over to a new model if they hadn't done so by then already.

LordRedHand wrote:
Artists also read what you say, and some of them actually are getting sad and depressed over your kind of selfishness.

The smarter authors are trying to adapt to the changing conditions, since it also presents a whole world of opportunities as well as problems.

LordRedHand wrote:
Oh and just because technology changes does not mean that the rights that we grant authors and other creatives dies or changes with that shift.

It does mean that the system becomes increasingly pointless and obsolete.

Besides, states and peoples are always changing legal protections and "rights" to deal with the changing reality. Ever hear of Squatters' Rights?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
You are confused as what they are trying to do if you will is pull weeds so that legitimate efforts can succeed without competing against someone who by all rights should not exist and are preying upon a fan communities very ignorance. These people are literally bilking you and others efforts and goodwill.

Also in terms of copyright law there is no squatters rights, and even than copyrights expire after 75 years after the death of the original creator, so just because they are silent and are not releasing it to you does it give you some kind of squatter right to it, you need to ask. I know there are others who can summon that strength, we call them our distributors, and for some creatives that is all that it takes, taking the time to ask. Also it doesn't matter whether o not it is released here or not, their rights to their work begin the instant pen touches paper, paint to canvas and so on. So no there really is not a legal precedent or law that applies to what your supporting as in the end the manga authors need to be successful, not these sites that go out of their way not to pay them. As the manga author will and are proverbially taking their bats and going home, and I don't think you want that, as than the industry which you claim to like, the manga that you claim to like will effectively be gone. Oh sure there will be the mass market stuff that look like a shiny apple, but that apple will be really hollow..
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
You are confused as what they are trying to do if you will is pull weeds so that legitimate efforts can succeed without competing against someone who by all rights should not exist and are preying upon a fan communities very ignorance. These people are literally bilking you and others efforts and goodwill.

Actually getting a Crunchyroll-style platform out there for a good number of mangas (particularly the major ones like Naruto) will go much farther to staunch the aggregator sites than "pulling weeds".

They're not bilking me. As I said in one of my earlier posts, if a Crunchyroll-style site for manga comes out that can offer me the latest chapters of mangas like Naruto, etc in a very timely fashion (as in simultaneous release, like with Rin-ne), I'll gladly dump my aggregator sites except for the titles the legal site doesn't carry, and pay the subscription fee (if they have one).

LordRedHand wrote:

Also in terms of copyright law there is no squatters rights, and even than copyrights expire after 75 years after the death of the original creator, so just because they are silent and are not releasing it to you does it give you some kind of squatter right to it, you need to ask.

I never said there were. You pointed out that technological change doesn't mean that the copyright system is or should change, and I responded by pointing out Squatters' Rights as an example of how legal systems often do change to deal with realities "on the ground", so to speak (even if they violate the property rights of the absentee landowner).

LordRedHand wrote:
As the manga author will and are proverbially taking their bats and going home, and I don't think you want that, as than the industry which you claim to like, the manga that you claim to like will effectively be gone. Oh sure there will be the mass market stuff that look like a shiny apple, but that apple will be really hollow..

I doubt that. Somehow there manage to be some very good webcomics, for example, which survive in spite of relying on the new methods instead of selling copies of their stuff.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass, I am going to ask you the same thing I ask every other person who wants to do away with copyright.

How do you make large amounts of money creating in a digital enviroment? If people cared about the author they wouldn't pirate. With copyright you can force the person to not make copies, but in a copyright free world, you can make a digital copy and start selling it almost immediatly which kills the cost.

One Manga and Mangafox can make money because they only have to pay the servers. They don't pay for liscenses, they don't pay for translations, they steal everything except the servers.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Actually with web comics it's the other way around, the successful ones are the ones that can make merchandise/sell physical volumes versus just existing online.

Crunchyroll is also if you didn't already know doing a manga section with Bitway as well as several other online initiatives for the two part process of this change of which you are experiencing, one manga and those sites however cannot be allowed to stand as even from a gamers stand point, one group looks like it's cheating and really cheating everyone but themselves involved. As while I can't guarantee a profit for every venture (nor should I make such claims) there should be a concepts of fairness, and that requires everyone to be playing by the same set of rules.

Also note I'm not against an online distribution method but I do understand that these processes and changes do not happen quickly. I am however against people who cheat, which is where one manga fall into.
Fanofde4ever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Fanofde4ever wrote:
... Oh and you would not believe how quick it is to replace the links if you know what you're doing.

According to your estimate, it would take a day or two to replace 1,000 episodes. So one volunteer working a day on defense of their favorite series from attack could occupy the time of five to ten volunteers engaged in sticking the knife into the backs of the creators of the series.

I did Legend of the Galactic Heroes in roughly 2 hours, so yeah 2 days should be sufficient for 1000 videos if I was feeling overly energetic.

And I take it somebody with a differing opinion is a troll now? I haven't cursed (that I can remember), and I haven't started any off topic arguments (I believe agila brought up streaming videos).

agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Quote:
It's like the speed subber who cares more about being the first one released and not about the quality of the sub. His just in it for the views, and the ego those views bring.

And hence ego-stroking is likely to be an important part of recruiting volunteers to do the work that allows the big sites to generate a profit. And the ego defense against the charge of being a pathetic patsy being taken advantage of by the people who are in it for the money keeps coming up in the repeated declarations about not being a fan of the current owner.

Let's see if I can straighten this out. I was not "recruited". I asked to be allowed to join the staff (multiple times before I was actually allowed to), because that's where I was first introduced to anime other than what was on Cartoon Network, and is the soul reason I have bought any and all of the anime I have. Because of that I wanted to help work on the site. At that time the current owner was more or less absent, and the site was basically run by the forum members. We worked there, cause we wanted to. That was a year and a half ago. In the last ~6 months he has decided to allow the site to spread viruses multiple times, made staff changes on a whim without out saying anything to anybody before or after, among other things. I didn't ask to be admin, and I, along with most of the active forum members, were unhappy with the 2 existing admins that were demoted when I was made admin. That is why I'm not a fan of Jacky, and refuse to work on his site for him. He's taken all the fun out of it, and allowed the site to go down the toilet. I'm just there for the forum.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Fanofde4ever wrote:

And I take it somebody with a differing opinion is a troll now? I haven't cursed (that I can remember), and I haven't started any off topic arguments (I believe agila brought up streaming videos).

The fact that you clearly want to see anime fail in America by diverting the money from the people who pay the creators for the rights to the series so that some guy named Jackie could make millions of dollars.

You have admited that you work as a volunteer for a for profit group, you admit that you are being taken advantage of, but you refuse to notice that the anime industry is dying due to piracy.

In case you haven't notice but anime and manga are shrinking world wide as nobody is buying it because everyone is just pirating it. Your either a troll or completely delusional.
Fanofde4ever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Fanofde4ever wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Fanofde4ever wrote:
... Oh and you would not believe how quick it is to replace the links if you know what you're doing.

According to your estimate, it would take a day or two to replace 1,000 episodes. So one volunteer working a day on defense of their favorite series from attack could occupy the time of five to ten volunteers engaged in sticking the knife into the backs of the creators of the series.

I did Legend of the Galactic Heroes in roughly 2 hours, so yeah 2 days should be sufficient for 1000 videos if I was feeling overly energetic.

agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Quote:

Let's see if I can straighten this out. I was not "recruited". I asked to be allowed to join the staff (multiple times before I was actually allowed to), because that's where I was first introduced to anime other than what was on Cartoon Network, and is the soul reason I have bought any and all of the anime I have. Because of that I wanted to help work on the site. At that time the current owner was more or less absent, and the site was basically run by the forum members. We worked there, cause we wanted to. That was a year and a half ago. In the last ~6 months he has decided to allow the site to spread viruses multiple times, made staff changes on a whim without out saying anything to anybody before or after, among other things. I didn't ask to be admin, and I, along with most of the active forum members, were unhappy with the 2 existing admins that were demoted when I was made admin. That is why I'm not a fan of Jacky, and refuse to work on his site for him. He's taken all the fun out of it, and allowed the site to go down the toilet. I'm just there for the forum.

The fact that you clearly want to see anime fail in America by diverting the money from the people who pay the creators for the rights to the series so that some guy named Jackie could make millions of dollars.

Millions? Are you serious? Now who's trolling? ZOMG doesn't make much more a month than I do working on construction. I'll go way on the high side and say it made at best $5000 a month. The site has only been around 2 1/2 years. That's 30 months. That's $150,000 max. Now consider the site has only belonged to Jackie a year and a half. That's 18 months, or $90,000. Also consider traffic has dropped off considerably since the previous incidents I mentioned ( I have no hard number as to how much). You take from server fees from what's left, and his company probably made$50,000. Now that's nothing to sneeze at, but it's far from millions.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
What looks wrong here - that those paying for anime/manga, but still watch/read it illegally don't exist.
No one of us have the right data, or data at all, so don't go around assuming we're all ripping off the industry.
I watch lots without paying, but I also pay for lots within my budget. Illegally available or not, the much I spend won't change (and it's more than enough to afford what's currently being released in the US/UK, but keep in mind that I've been buying for just a few years and I'm making up for over a decade).
And agila, nothing personal, but your arguments are overly repetitive. I no longer read your arguments because it's clear you'll not change your view any soon.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What looks wrong here - that those paying for anime/manga, but still watch/read it illegally don't exist.
No such assumption is required.

Quote:
No one of us have the right data, or data at all, ...
That's probably what makes my arguments repetitive: given that relevant data is sparse but does exist, that limits the range of evidence-base arguments I can make.

Quote:
...so don't go around assuming we're all ripping off the industry.

"We're all" is not necessary. If bootleg manga viewer sites are hurting the industry on average, fans who support the right of the creators to make an income from their work would do what they could to help shut the bootleg manga viewer sites down.

Nobody in that process loses any access that they are entitled to.

Quote:
I watch lots without paying, but I also pay for lots within my budget. Illegally available or not, the much I spend won't change (and it's more than enough to afford what's currently being released in the US/UK, but keep in mind that I've been buying for just a few years and I'm making up for over a decade).

As Matt Blind at Rocket Bomber notes, there are 1,000 titles released a year. So spending more than enough to afford what's currently being released in the US/UK is impressive.

We do have enough data to know is that this cannot be true of all bootleg manga viewers:

(1) We know there were around 17m volumes sold in 2007.
(2) So the core manga buyers market is somewhere in the hundreds of thousands to low millions of people
(3) So 4.2m unique visitors to OneManga has to include people who were not in the manga market in 2007
(4) So if they all spent what they could on legit manga and only viewed bootlegs over and above that, the market would have had a big additional source of sales
(5) Instead, there were around 11m volumes sold in 2009.

Your individual behavior does not translate into the market impact of the manga viewer sites.

Quote:
And agila, nothing personal, but your arguments are overly repetitive. I no longer read your arguments because it's clear you'll not change your view any soon.
I'll change my views when new information is presented that convinces me I'm wrong and have to change my mind. After all, when presented with evidence on the impact of distribution of bootleg fansubs on the anime industry, I changed my mind.

Here, you've repeated the same argument that buying one manga entitles you to view an undefined number of additional bootlegs as well. Because, without that indefinite entitlement, the answer to "I've bought as much as I can afford to buy" would be, "That's how much you are entitled to get to consume, then".
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
They're not bilking me.

They are bilking people (and themselves to a point) who want to see series either faster or just released in their respective countries period.

egoist wrote:

*raises hand*

I read the scanlations of Negima! and buy the Del Rey releases.
I read the scanlations of Rosario Vampire and buy the Viz releases.
I try to read scanlations of Dance in the Vampire Bund and get the Seven Sea releases.
I used to buy Black Butler and Soul Eater till Yen Press decided to be dicks about scanlations and cancel their magazine.

I exist....unless you are trying to equate me to Project 2501?

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:

Yes, there is something different about controlling the duplication of ideas, than from traditional property rights. If I made a tv set and sold it to someone, I don't have a right to keep demanding money from the person I sold it to. Copyright is just a legal construct, and without it, nobody has a right to control the production of copies of the information that make up copyrights (which is why, for example, nobody talks about discoverers in basic science having a "right" to control the distribution and discussion of that knowledge).

See, there's the dif.
I have no problem paying Metallica for a cd so I can make whatever copies of songs FOR MY PERSONAL USE. If my friend wants Metallica, they can pay the $10 or so for the fricken cd. I am not going to post it online where a million strangers can make all the copies they want without paying the band because I want Metallica to make more music. I've seen other bands I like vanish into the mists of times as their careers came to an end. I understand I can no longer hear new music & it is sad, but it is life. I cannot see how contributing to the demise of a band I like, or a mangaka's career because I overrode the wishes of those entities to post their work for free on the net makes any snese & I do see it as vile & evil & I do believe in karma so everyone doing it will get theirs somewhere, someday. Life is hard & there's enough grief without more added to it.

Guardsman Bass wrote:

As I've pointed out, multiple times, harping on the "it's illegal" point is idiotic.

Ok.
It's immoral.
Feel better?
Guardsman Bass wrote:
The system itself is becoming fundamentally dysfunctional and pointless in an era where the distribution of information doesn't cost a fortune anymore. You're doing the manga producers no favors, by the way, in delaying that shift.

As someone who finally bowed to the need for a cell phone just last month, far be it from me to force technology on anyone else. There's that guy I read about who had his house key in his hand or whatever. Wonderful for him. Not all of us want that. I was a telephone operator & hate telephones-HATE telephones-so th idea of lugging one around everywhere was something I had to work up to. Yes, the artists need to come into the 21st century, but what fansubbers are doing is akin to forcing these artists to have cell phones implanted in their bodies so they have to use them.
When the artists see it is holding them back they will, as I did, cave in. I know I will have to buy something like a Kindle or whatever, but the report of their pulling titles off the machine (when they figured out the title wasn't public domain & thus their copy was not valid) gives me pause as did TP's pitch about a library program they are part of where where the title downloads & then vanishes when the borrow period is over is disturbing. If I buy a title, it should be mine & it shouldn't be sucked away because someone somewhere changes their mind about the availability. It's like they say avoid a car for the first couple years. Some people embrace technology immediately while others want to be sure all the bugs have been worked out.
Fansubbers are forcing their level of technology comfort on others (the artists) against their will. It may not be illegal, but it is rude, discourteous, & wrong. In a nation built on the rights of the individual, it is even more wrong. Fansubbing is like ordering Ford to sell cars in every color under the sun because the buyers want the option as opposed to them making cars in a dozen colors or so every year because they can get a cost-effective deal by buying paint in lots. Why should the rights of the user override the rights of the maker?

Fanofde4ever wrote:

So answer me how can you post these titles when the people making them have been saying for years "Please stop, you're killing me?"
I cannot conceive of where one's head would be to have the gall to defy the desires of the creators.
It's wrong & I personally believe there is a special place in hell for this sort of evil.
Fanofde4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
As someone who finally bowed to the need for a cell phone just last month, far be it from me to force technology on anyone else. There's that guy I read about who had his house key in his hand or whatever. Wonderful for him. Not all of us want that. I was a telephone operator & hate telephones-HATE telephones-so th idea of lugging one around everywhere was something I had to work up to. Yes, the artists need to come into the 21st century, but what fansubbers are doing is akin to forcing these artists to have cell phones implanted in their bodies so they have to use them.
When the artists see it is holding them back they will, as I did, cave in. I know I will have to buy something like a Kindle or whatever, but the report of their pulling titles off the machine (when they figured out the title wasn't public domain & thus their copy was not valid) gives me pause as did TP's pitch about a library program they are part of where where the title downloads & then vanishes when the borrow period is over is disturbing. If I buy a title, it should be mine & it shouldn't be sucked away because someone somewhere changes their mind about the availability. It's like they say avoid a car for the first couple years. Some people embrace technology immediately while others want to be sure all the bugs have been worked out.
Fansubbers are forcing their level of technology comfort on others (the artists) against their will. It may not be illegal, but it is rude, discourteous, & wrong. In a nation built on the rights of the individual, it is even more wrong. Fansubbing is like ordering Ford to sell cars in every color under the sun because the buyers want the option as opposed to them making cars in a dozen colors or so every year because they can get a cost-effective deal by buying paint in lots. Why should the rights of the user override the rights of the maker?

Because the user is the one paying the maker. Now if Ford decides to stop making trucks should I still buy a Ford cause they are the maker, and I should have no say in the matter as the consumer, or am I gonna go where I can get what I want? The maker can make what they want how they want, but if they aren't gonna make it the way the consumer wants it they can't expect it to sell. That's capitalism, and also what this country is built on.

CCSYueh wrote:
Fanofde4ever wrote:

So answer me how can you post these titles when the people making them have been saying for years "Please stop, you're killing me?"
I cannot conceive of where one's head would be to have the gall to defy the desires of the creators.
It's wrong & I personally believe there is a special place in hell for this sort of evil.

See that bold part? Read it again, then I'll get back to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19