• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Plans Get New Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
nargun: I'm sorry but I still don't see what you're getting at. Do you mean that the 70's was a lost decade for the Japanese

After the high-flying bubble economy of the 1980s bursted, the 1990s is considered a "lost decade" in Japan when its economy was stagnant and perennially in recession.

After the high-flying bubble economy of the late 1990s to early 2000s bursted, the U.S. may be entering its own "lost decade."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Box office and sales numbers also don't mean a damn thing,

For films like Iron Giant, I guess you might have a point. But SR is still no Iron Giant.

Quote:
Plus, your opinion of Speed Racer is completely irrelevant to Akira,

Well, SR is an example of how not do do Akira. You need to actually deliver where it counts, which is the thrills. And if they get Akira wrong by trying to turn it into a social commentary like V for Vendetta, rather than a sci-fi action film, they won't have the convenience of the kiddie DVD market to bail it out this time. Personally, I think the Hughes Bros. are at least a notch above that guy who directed DB:E and The One. They at least have some hands-on experience with the medium, and didn't just get work because of their X-Files connections. But whether or not they can deliver beyond that depends on their being able to meet the constrictions of an inevitable PG-13 rating. Plus, they also need to avoid dumbing down the material and trying to rely too much on gimmicks which may have worked for their other stuff, but which does not fit for this flick. [*cough* Adam West Batman-esque fight scene from Speed Racer. *cough*]
cool_inuyasha_girl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOO JUST NO, HOLLYWOOD SHOULD NEVER MAKE LIVE ACTION MOVIES OFF ANIME WE ALL KNOW HOW WELL DBZ WENT. Besides Akira is obviously R rated material, if they wanna appeal to a wider audience they are probably going to dumb it down:( Which means a less complex story line, no creepy awesome kids and no exploding insides on the grounds:(SadSad Akira is not something for children or a younger audience in general and we all know what Hollywood's intent for this movie is $$$$ There is no way this is going work they are going to try dumbing it down to appeal to a younger audience who won't even know what it is and the fans of the movie will hate it because of it.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

After the high-flying bubble economy of the 1980s bursted, the 1990s is considered a "lost decade" in Japan when its economy was stagnant and perennially in recession.

After the high-flying bubble economy of the late 1990s to early 2000s bursted, the U.S. may be entering its own "lost decade."

But Akira was started in the early 80's so I don't really see how that's relevant with it unless if you really want to boldly claim that Akira's future Japan somehow represents 2010's USA which I really don't think it does.

If you want find some real life allegory from Akira I think Japan in the 60's is the closest guess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But Akira was started in the early 80's so I don't really see how that's relevant with it unless if you really want to boldly claim that Akira's future Japan somehow represents 2010's USA which I really don't think it does.

Why do you keep wanting me to claim something I didn't even posit? Confused
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

You shouldn't answer on some one else's behalf if you don't agree with them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You shouldn't answer on some one else's behalf if you don't agree with them.

I was explaining to you the idea of the "lost decade."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3