• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lapses of logic that bug me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
The whole point of Wile E. Coyote is how illogical he is. Has there ever been a kid anywhere who didn't say "if he can order all that stuff to be delivered to the desert couldn't he just order take-out just as easily instead of starve?"

Well all he ever had was an account with Acme, and the only type of food that they have is birdseed made specifically for traps.

You don't get it. Catching the Road Runner is like climbing Mount Everest. You don't do it because you have to -- you do it because it's there.

Speaking of Misato and the apparent disparity between her personal economic resources and her influence... I think people fail to understand that bureaucracies (and NERV is a bureaucracy, like any other monolithic organisation) always underpay their middle- and low-level staff. I can easily imagine an officer like Misato with sufficient organisational clout to mobilise immense material resources -- yet still being paid a pittance.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Speaking of Misato and the apparent disparity between her personal economic resources and her influence... I think people fail to understand that bureaucracies (and NERV is a bureaucracy, like any other monolithic organisation) always underpay their middle- and low-level staff. I can easily imagine an officer like Misato with sufficient organisational clout to mobilise immense material resources -- yet still being paid a pittance.

- abunai

Especially when you consider how there is talk of NERV's budget as an issue. (Don't recall if that made it into the movie but it's in the TV series). They're already spending a fortune on something that is, at least before the start of the series, of a pretty questionable nature. I would think that would encourage them even more to cut corners where they can (such as paying their employees).

Plus, Misato definitely comes across as someone who might be...shall we say, not so great at managing her finances. The car issue is actually a perfect example. She seems like someone who pisses away a lot of money.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I saw it a while ago but for some reason I feel like picking on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so here are some irrational parts I remember.
1) When Kyon and Haruhi spoiler[are in the extra dimension created by Haruhi, she suddenly becomes aware of her abilities for no apparent reason. Not to worry though, she's oblivious again by the end of the episode. Can't let logic get in the way of a good mystery.]

2) A little more subtle isspoiler[ Kyon's fear of Haruhi's plan to remake the universe. It's not like it was the end of the world. She even said she would keep Mikuru and the rest of the SOS Brigade, so what was Kyon so worried about?]

3) Much like her awareness, spoiler[Haruhi's common sense vanishes and reappears at random. In season two for example, Mikuru shoots lots of things out of her eyeball, including obvious stuff like spikes, and her toy guns start shooting pressurized water. Defying the laws of physics aside, Haruhi doesn't seem to notice anything.]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
1) When Kyon and Haruhi spoiler[are in the extra dimension created by Haruhi, she suddenly becomes aware of her abilities for no apparent reason. Not to worry though, she's oblivious again by the end of the episode. Can't let logic get in the way of a good mystery.]

She was spoiler[in the process of becoming aware. And after the whole kiss, both were thrust back into the real world where they woke up in their own beds. Haruhi even flat out says to Kyon "I had a weird dream last night." Remember that Kyon got the info-dump from Koizume, Haruhi didn't, so that whole ordeal was merely a dream to her;] it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
2) A little more subtle isspoiler[ Kyon's fear of Haruhi's plan to remake the universe. It's not like it was the end of the world. She even said she would keep Mikuru and the rest of the SOS Brigade, so what was Kyon so worried about?]

I really don't understand this one since spoiler[Kyon specifically objects with the fact that Haruhi's new world wouldn't be 'his' world. Whoever appeared in this new world wouldn't be the real people who were left behind*. Plus, it would mark the end of the world he knew according to Koizumi's theory. Plus, look at what was happening in that world, that looks pretty dangerous and terrifying to me.]

I don't remember the scenes concerning your 3rd point, but isn't Haruhi lacking common sense and rationality one of the quirks of her character from the get-go?

* and in case you might argue that spoiler[the others would eventually be brought over from the abandoned world, remember that Koizumi and Nagato also pointed out that the link between the two worlds was just about faded out and would completely disappear very soon, so there would be no way for them to be brought over unless Haruhi started to miss the old world and reopen it (which is not going to happen).]
Hulten

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
You Foolish Fool!

When you have three emotionally distort teenagers what do you do? Give them soothing therapy and a nice cup of tea? HELL NO! You give them weapons of mass'frickion destruction with LAZERS and giant mother F'in knives! Then give'em a good B'smack any time one of those hoes step out of line!

Ok, all jokes aside.

1. Yeah they really don't seem to keep it much of a secret, but I don't think anyone, in the city, would ever be in a position to say anything sense they are saving their butts 24/7.

2. I would say all that money goes to the people who are doing actual work as compared to a person who just snaps her fingers and deals with emotional teens all day. Compared to working all those systems and highly explosive technology. Dealing with what she does every day is a cake walk. So I can see why she gets such a low pay.

3. See my opening statement... But to be fare they do need them to emotionally sync with those giant organic mechs that are oh so picky about who pilots them... or some other crap like that. But, yeah i don't always see why its teens, BUT then again it probably wouldn't have been as entertaining to see some grandfather with oldtimers pilot those things.... Or, would it?

4. I guess they thought it was a good idea at the time? I mean Shinji's father didn't really seem to have his head on straight in the beginning. I mean he has like a thousand clones of his wife (some dead, some alive) in his basement under the facility where he helps teenagers (with issues) fight giant monster called angels that fall from the sky.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
This potentially comic thread is being crushed with wave upon wave of logic Crying or Very sad
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
To be honest I am usually the type that looks right over these kind of logic lapses hmm let's see if I can think of one though.

MSG 00 : spoiler[During the first season where the ptolemy is located by someone firing about 200 sattelites I really didn't get it. I mean if the blackout was effective by disrupting communication devices then the field would have to be huge to be effective therefore rendering detection in this matter stupidly imprecise in space. However if the field is small and only cloaks the Gundam from scanning then no matter how many communication devices you have it will not matter. I mean a more powerfull one might but the idea of a communication sattelite minefield detecting a communication stealthed unit seems kinda ridiculous]. A bit complicated I know but hey it bugged me Anime hyper

Oh yeah and Gundam Seed Destiny that whole show pretty much counts as a lapse of logic that bugs me.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Oh yeah and Gundam Seed Destiny that whole show pretty much counts as a lapse of logic that bugs me.

When the head writer is suffering from brain cancer and holds petty grudges against some of the VAs, that's bound to happen. Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
This potentially comic thread is being crushed with wave upon wave of logic Crying or Very sad

I see a bit of the "Ed Wood" effect at play here, although among the audience rather than the director.

If you are into a story you tend to rationalize goofs into virtuous ad-libs or "extra subtle" plot points. Let me give you an example.

Everyone is sold on Haruhi being the "deity." However the evidence points to her NOT being the deity, spoiler[it is actually Kyon. Harhui is his ideal of a girl companion; he is not hers. Or perhaps this -- when they find the mysterious SOS logo on the web page is as actually some digital/mystic impossibility, you forget it way Kyon that edited it and uploaded it to the server, not Haruhi. Haruhi never touched it after she drew the original oversized version.] There are many other clues besides those -- lapses of logic. Yet people will rationalize them because they don't want to spoil their idea of what the story was.

What fun.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the head writer is suffering from brain cancer and holds petty grudges against some of the VAs, that's bound to happen

That I did not know. Seems pretty harsh that he was made to do that whole unnecessary show with a terminal disease. They should have left it at Seed and sent the guy of to the red light district with all of his savings like decent human beings!

What you lookin at me like that for I aint proud if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal disease you can bet your left bum cheek that me and my life savings will be headed to Amsterdam to drown my sorrows in drugs and wimmins. Hedonism Ho!
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
In Eyeshield 21, they are playing by established rules from American football. I don't care that most characters run a 3.5 in the series, the fact that the football field is the size of a battlefield, etc. but there is a huge problem in the game between the Deimon Devil Bats and the Nasa Aliens. Sena comes up with the strategy of holding on to the quarterback's arm so that he can't throw the football. You can't do that! C'mon you're playing an actual sport with actual rules, play with the rules of the game.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:
When the head writer is suffering from brain cancer and holds petty grudges against some of the VAs, that's bound to happen

That I did not know. Seems pretty harsh that he was made to do that whole unnecessary show with a terminal disease. They should have left it at Seed and sent the guy of to the red light district with all of his savings like decent human beings!

Some correction here: the head writer was the director's wife. And she didn't know she had brain cancer until shortly after the show was finished.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

If you are into a story you tend to rationalize goofs into virtuous ad-libs or "extra subtle" plot points. Let me give you an example.

Everyone is sold on Haruhi being the "deity." However the evidence points to her NOT being the deity, spoiler[it is actually Kyon. Harhui is his ideal of a girl companion; he is not hers. Or perhaps this -- when they find the mysterious SOS logo on the web page is as actually some digital/mystic impossibility, you forget it way Kyon that edited it and uploaded it to the server, not Haruhi. Haruhi never touched it after she drew the original oversized version.]

What you're talking about is a possible interpretation of the events, and not a lapse of logic on the show's part. Even despite the fact that I sort of support this little theory, you can't call other characters not believing the same thing as the viewers do a lapse of logic. I would also like to remind you that Itsuki at least entertains the thought, even despite the evidence of around three years of work.
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
She was spoiler[in the process of becoming aware. And after the whole kiss, both were thrust back into the real world where they woke up in their own beds. Haruhi even flat out says to Kyon "I had a weird dream last night." Remember that Kyon got the info-dump from Koizume, Haruhi didn't, so that whole ordeal was merely a dream to her;] it makes perfect sense.

How Haruhi interprets what happened isn't the issue. Her awareness coming and going for no reason is what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I really don't understand this one since spoiler[Kyon specifically objects with the fact that Haruhi's new world wouldn't be 'his' world. Whoever appeared in this new world wouldn't be the real people who were left behind*. Plus, it would mark the end of the world he knew according to Koizumi's theory. Plus, look at what was happening in that world, that looks pretty dangerous and terrifying to me.]

spoiler[Kyon doesn't want a world that isn't exactly identical to his current one. How is this logical? It's just a whim if you look at it objectively. The dimension they were in looked strange because it was incomplete. It wasn't the final result.]

Quote:
I don't remember the scenes concerning your 3rd point, but isn't Haruhi lacking common sense and rationality one of the quirks of her character from the get-go?

She lacks common sense most of the time, but it seems to come back whenever it's convenient, like when spoiler[Kyon tells her the real identities of the SOS Brigade members].

Quote:
* and in case you might argue that spoiler[the others would eventually be brought over from the abandoned world, remember that Koizumi and Nagato also pointed out that the link between the two worlds was just about faded out and would completely disappear very soon, so there would be no way for them to be brought over unless Haruhi started to miss the old world and reopen it (which is not going to happen).]

We are told Haruhi can spoiler[create a whole new universe. In that case she can easily create Koizumi and the others exactly the way they were before.]
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
In DBZ when Frieza fires that blast into Namek and saying the planet will explode in 5 minutes, which takes 5 episodes instead.

Also about Evangelion, let's be honest how many organizations/military/etc in Mecha series REALLY take good care of the pilots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6