• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steve Conte.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I never had this problem until I got "Stray" stuck in my head, but how do you pronounce his name?

Is the "o" pronounced as an "ah" sound or an "oh" sound, just curious, and thanks in advance! Wink
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
in my head, it's always been a hard 'a' but that's probably in part to me ny accent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:55 am Reply with quote
Really?? Woah...I ever said Conte as it is written, as the japanese Konte.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Since Conte isn't a Japanese name (by any stretch of the imagination) I'd say that it probably not a long "o" sound (an "ah" instead), but it is probably a long "e" at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quote
My guess would be "KAHN-tee", but I suppose the French pronunciation would be "kohn-tuh." Razz

Last edited by Iron Chef on Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
... I have no idea how to pronounce it, but he's actually an American singer, and he has an official site with his brother: http://www.crownjewelsnyc.com/biosteve.asp

I haven't listened to any of the Non-Yoko Kanno stuff he's done, but maybe the pronounciation is on one of his cds, or somewhere on the site.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
I've always pronounced it "kahn-tee," like Canti of FLCL.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Since Conte isn't a Japanese name (by any stretch of the imagination) I'd say that it probably not a long "o" sound (an "ah" instead), but it is probably a long "e" at the end.

I know I always did it wrong, but if for years I had say this way...Hum...It's hard now to change the pronunciation Smile
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:39 am Reply with quote
I always said it kind of like "Kohn-teh," but I haven't the faintest if that's the correct pronunciation. Although... it was how Raj Ramayya pronounced it (provided I'm remembering correctly, which I might not be), and they know each other through the Wolf's Rain soundtrack (Steve Conte singing Stray, Could You Bite the Hand?, and Heaven's Not Enough; Raj Ramayya singing Strangers), so that might be a clue. I'll ask Steve himself once I get his e-mail address from Raj. (Raj promised to give me his e-mail!)

*Unhelpfully sings Heaven's Not Enough at the top of her lungs*
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
OK, I figured it out. It's Steve "Kanti" as in the FLCL character. I noticed this when I saw a report on ESPN about the whole steroids thing in Major League Baseball. The supposed distributor of the stuff had the same last name, his name is Victor Conte.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
I've seen him in person at this year's "Ohayocon". He's an amazing musician. I'm pretty sure his name is pronounced "Kohn-tee".
However, you can ask him this question yourself. He's email is: [email protected] (please don't abuse it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1