• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thoughts on Eureka Seven?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otaku-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been debating for a while whether or not to sit myself down and watch the whole series.
Anyone care to share their opinion of Eureka Seven?
Normally, I would just check the rating it has on My ANN, but its a semi-long series, so I want to get some good input on it before I make my decision.

Thanks Smile

Oh, and no spoilers please Embarassed
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
I always highly recommend this series, it's my all time favorite anime and I'm going to be breaking my 250th series soon. It does so many things right. It really succeeds in the telling of the story and the development and evolution of it's characters and their relationships. Renton's narrative throughout the series really sets an excellent tone and lets you truly understand what he's gone through. The characters both in design and personality are it's strong points. I find it hard to not be engrossed by the world created in this series, it's something very different from anything else I've seen.

For a 50 episode series it's animation is fairly top notch, although you can catch a little cheating here and there and some recycled animation. Bones usually does a good job. Overall the action sequences are quite a spectacle and again something very different than what most would be used to.

I have to say the music on every level was done so well, it really blew me away. There are some really excellent pieces in this series that range from epic orchestral to futuristic techno. There really is a great variety and I cant think of a single piece that fell flat. The OP's and ED's were also very well chosen.

Now for the bad parts. This show is not for everyone, simply put there seems to be a real division between the hate and love for this series. Many people find it slow in pace, especially the first few episodes which don't really hint at the overarching plot. I myself did not have this issue, Dai Sato's style may come off a bit slow but when you look at his other works (cowboy bebop, wolfs rain, GitS, Ergo proxy) they all focus on the "setup" first and foremost.

The second big complaint is many people find some of the characters annoying. In particular the children who are introduced early on and in some cases Renton is loathed by some. This also varies between sub and dub but it's mostly just personal preference. I find children annoying in general so I couldn't tell Smile. Now I'm the last person to recommend Dub over SuB. I think they do an excellent job on both and I actually have a hard time choosing which I like better in this series.

One last complaint, and I can empathize with this one, was the use of technical terms and made up jargan. LFO's, trapar, scub coral, limit of question. It can be very daunting and complicated to catch it all. Just make sure to pay attention and all will be explained.

The last thing I want to make perfectly clear is that this is not an action series. If you come into this show looking for mecha fights and explosions you will be sorely disappointed. While the action sequences are great, they are not frequent. This is an adventure series about growing up, relationships, finding yourself and finding others. So set your expectations for a character driven story about love and hardship and immerse yourself into an interesting world. I cannot stress this enough.

So all in all I have to give this a huge recommendation. I've seen it 9 times and it's one of the very few shows I've rewatched at all. Sorry for writing so much, it's my favorite series.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
I love Eureka Seven. It is one of my favorite shows and if I was forced to keep only one anime it would be Eureka Seven. No matter what my mood there is an episode of Eureka Seven I can watch. However, there are a lot of people who do not like or are not impressed by Eureka Seven. I have read most of their complaints and criticisms so if you have issues with one of the following you should consider not watching Eureka Seven.

1. Pacing.
The biggest complaint I have seen of Eureka Seven is its pacing. The shows pacing and tone varies wildly and the pacing often shifts suddenly. The pacing in the show is geared towards character development and the underlying themes of the show not plot or action.
If you have issues with extended lulls in the plot or action for character drama or downtime you should reconsider watching this show. It is worth noting that the main plot does not kick in until the second half of the show.

2. Annoying characters or not enough screen time for character favorites.
Eureka Seven is largely a character drama, as a result, the characters start off imperfect and often get a whole lot worse before they get better, but this is one of the points of the show. Other characters that are a lot more fun often get a lot less screen time because the show is not about them and they are there to help illuminate some character development or one of the shows themes.

If you need your characters to be fun over the majority of the show you should reconsider watching Eureka Seven. In particular if the characters don't work for you by episode 13. you really should drop the show.

3. Open ending and unexplained stuff. Eureka seven's ending is open and many minor plot threads are left unfinished. While the ending is clear (to me anyway) many people have strong issues with everything not being wrapped up clearly. There are also several things in the show that are implied but not explicitly stated leaving you to deduce the reasons for some character behavior.
If you have a problem with open endings or not explicitly explained character motivations you should reconsider watching Eureka Seven.

4. Narrative detours. Eureka seven will occasionally do things that have nothing to do with character development or the plot and which focus more on one or more of the underlying themes of the show. if you have issues with this you should reconsider.

There. I think those are the major complaints from people who either hated the show or were decidedly luke-warm about it. If these things aren't deal breakers for you and you want to watch a well animated fascinating world with interesting characters and some cool action involving surfing mechas set to some great music then go right ahead and enjoy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the entire series. I only caught the episodes that were aired on the American channel Cartoon Network which were English Dub. I couldn't get into this show because I found the protagonist, (Renton?) to be incredibly annoying. I tend to despise overly whiny children characters who we are supposed to all feel sorry for for some reason. He definitely fits into this role pretty well. In most of the episodes that I saw he would either be in some kind of deep angst or he would be giving some kind of over the top, excessively corny soapbox type statement. Also the love story aspect seemed kind of forced to me, although that is usually the case in mecha genre stories where characters are destined to control some kind of ship or mecha-thing with their love-interest partner.

If you don't like angsty children, this will probably not be a good show for you. I have no problem myself with children protagonists and in fact some of the best anime from each genre have children protagonists. However, I generally like it when they bring something to the table that is unique and makes you care about what is going on in their story. I don't think that this show really does that, at least not in the early episodes. Maybe it does at some point but I couldn't really keep myself interested that long. The animation and sound and evertyhing are pretty good though... good production values, but the story and characters I just couldn't become excited about.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Check this thread, and you'll find many other topics discussing the series.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's one of my top favorites as well. Strongly recommended. Don't think of it as a mecha show. It's best if you think of it as a science fiction show where giant robots are just one aspect of the world in the series, as there really is a lot more to it than mecha.

lesterf1020 wrote:

3. Open ending and unexplained stuff. Eureka seven's ending is open and many minor plot threads are left unfinished. While the ending is clear (to me anyway) many people have strong issues with everything not being wrapped up clearly. There are also several things in the show that are implied but not explicitly stated leaving you to deduce the reasons for some character behavior.
If you have a problem with open endings or not explicitly explained character motivations you should reconsider watching Eureka Seven.

4. Narrative detours. Eureka seven will occasionally do things that have nothing to do with character development or the plot and which focus more on one or more of the underlying themes of the show. if you have issues with this you should reconsider.

I find it so weird that people think of it as an open ending. As far as anime endings go, it's pretty solid and satisfying. There aren't really any nagging plot threads left hanging, and even if there are, they're not big enough to matter or be remembered.

Also, the only episode that REALLY felt like it had nothing to do with anything was the soccer episode.

Either way, go watch. It's well worth it.
otaku-king

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thank you all so much for all the input on the series!! Smile

On that note, I have decided to start watching it ASAP -
Wish me luck! Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
It's a good series, although, it could have told the same story in half the episodes.
Treiz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like it. The show is too unfocused, the story drags in several spots, and the genre of the show shifts from one episode to the next.

To me, E7 seemed like the editors of a teen fashion mag got together and made an anime. The result is an uneven, shallow, but pretty execution on what COULD have been a very interesting show.

I like the ideas of E7, I just feel that the execution fell flat on it's face.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This series has it's problem but in all honesty nothing about this series is so bad that it really detracts from the enjoyment of it. As far as renton goes give him time. I found him annoying at the start and as a result dropped the show for about a year. I then came back to it when totally bored with everything else and got hooked round about episode 15-20. I then watched the whole lot in one sitting.
acstopstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the series is good, but i like the movie better!
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
acstopstar wrote:
I think the series is good, but i like the movie better!

think you're the only one i've seen that said they liked the movie better lol. fans are usually freaking out about how bad the movie is.
hipnox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked it a lot.

I didn´t feel it was slow paced, but i´ll admit i was confused at all the technical Jargon they started spewing at you as the series was nearing the end.

Anyways, I´d recommend it to everyone
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching(I know I'm late, but I figured I should watch this before the Deadman Wonderland anime airs...), I'm on episode 4 of the dub.

It seems like a pretty interesting series so far. Characters seem a bit weird, but I guess I'll get used to them over time. On note of the dub, I'm surprised by JYB's Renton. Mostly because I didn't think he could really voice a kid...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Rackzel23 wrote:
i really like E7 so much .. I've been searching all night for the latest news .. If you read this messege kindly tell to the BONES or BANDAI that i want a new series of E7 ... Thanks ..

The latest news is that it's currently a dead project meaning that there isn't any, and probably won't come back since it was completed and fairly conclusive.

Bones has moved on to do more Darker Than Black and next season's Stardriver.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2