• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
nick simmons is a plagirist! he sucks for denying it when its so abvious!!!

Tite Kubo is a a geniues and nick simmons should know no one gets away for such obvious crimes
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Stmurda23 wrote:
nick simmons is a plagiarist! he sucks for denying it when its so obvious!!!

Tite Kubo is a a genius and nick simmons should know no one gets away for such obvious crimes

I completely agree. It doesn't matter if Nick Simmons father is Gene Simmons, what he has done is immoral, illegal and down right utterly stupid. This crime is very obvious, anyone that reads manga or otherwise could spot the difference quickly.

As a long time fan of the Bleach anime and manga, what Nick did to Tite Kubo is disrespectful and needs to repent heavily for his crimes.

Very shameful indeed.
Iliketacos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
For all the comments about this not being so much different then fanart. Generally there is a big difference. Fanartists aren't usually making a profit, and usually they aren't tracing. These pictures were obviously traces! However, I can't deny that 75% of fanart online floating around isn't traced either. The biggest thing that gets me is the fact that this guy is tryin to sell this as HIS OWN WORK.

A fanart, to an aspiring artist, is merely a way of showing your love for the show and the characters, no different then cosplay in my eyes. Fanart is a great way to learn how to draw and get yourself set up for hopefully, one day breaking out into the professional world. Many will argue with me on this, but how is an anime based off of a manga, not fanart? How is animation different from fanart? Animators have to animate someone else's characters, is that not fanart? The difference is, they're working with the creator instead of just stealing from them, or in this case, tracing panals from the manga, slapping and removing a couple details, and selling it as your own.

The goal, to me at least, of drawing your favorate anime character, is to LEARN from it. Just like drawing from a live model, you're their to study and ANALYZE the forms of the model, or in fanarts case, an animated, or comic book character! You can't animate or draw something you can't understand, am I right?

It's apparent to me, that this guy didn't learn to draw at all, he merely just traces details, instead of sitting down and sayin, why does Orihime look so hot, or why is Kenpachi so awesome, and analyzing the models (or artwork if you will). Finding out how things tick and applying them to ones own work is how most artists come up with something awesome, as opposed to just traces.

Sry about the long post, wanted to chip in my few cents on the issue.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
just wondering here, am I the only one who saw that dog at the beginning and was wondering if he ganked stuff from Wolf's Rain as well? the eye shot, the style the eyes are drawn in, there was a scene in one of the early eps with Kiba walking a city with some scenes shown from high above, and I think I remember seeing Toboe in a similar pose as the dog when he was slinking off.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that ANN has reported on plagiarism a number of times in the past, and even beyond that people have posted a number of posts detailing other occurrences and these really don't get much of a reaction.

Now we get a case of a US artist blatantly ripping off someones work, and an artist with ties to a high profile celebrity as well. Now it's suddenly a huge deal and everyone is standing in line to join the angry mob. I'm not saying it's right what he did, because it obviously isn't. It's just interesting to note the reactions this time when a US artist is involved compared to the many other plagiarism cases that have been reported here over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I find it interesting that ANN has reported on plagiarism a number of times in the past, and even beyond that people have posted a number of posts detailing other occurrences and these really don't get much of a reaction.

Now we get a case of a US artist blatantly ripping off someones work, and an artist with ties to a high profile celebrity as well. Now it's suddenly a huge deal and everyone is standing in line to join the angry mob. I'm not saying it's right what he did, because it obviously isn't. It's just interesting to note the reactions this time when a US artist is involved compared to the many other plagiarism cases that have been reported here over the years.

It's Bleach, one of the top selling manga in the US, Famous manga copied by semi famous person. Obviously more people are going to talk about it.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
I was interested in how this was playing out in the mainstream press. Well, I did a search and it turns out there is almost no coverage, and the little coverage that exists cites ANN as their primary source.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
It's really quite common in the comic book industry, and it's not a sign that he is some despicable thief so much as a lazy artist who needs to work harder at his craft.

Now hang on. Yeah people do often rip off poses as in the particular perspective and way a character is standing. What he's doing though is pretty much ripping off the actual appearance of the characters as well. As people have said, it nearly looks like he traced them line for line. Anyway, I'd be more inclined to agree if his work overall showed an ounce of originality. The whole thing just screams ripoff though. The whole art style and premise seem so unbelievably similar to Bleach and Hellsing.

Keonyn wrote:

As I said above, has it ever been anything this blatant?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Double Post

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

It's Bleach, one of the top selling manga in the US, Famous manga copied by son of a famous person. Obviously more people are going to talk about it.

Fixed.
ikillchicken wrote:
As I said above, has it ever been anything this blatant?

Actually it has. Keonyn does have a point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
Iliketacos wrote:
For all the comments about this not being so much different then fanart. Generally there is a big difference. Fanartists aren't usually making a profit, and usually they aren't tracing. These pictures were obviously traces! However, I can't deny that 75% of fanart online floating around isn't traced either. The biggest thing that gets me is the fact that this guy is tryin to sell this as HIS OWN WORK.
Exactly! As much as fan art can annoy me for not being original, at least fans are honest that it's not their characters and that they do it with a love for another creator's work. This case is just full of deception. As the internet joke goes, "Original character. Do not steal." and then you see someone just made Hulk purple or a yellow Sonic with a Pikachu tail. (Sadly, those are real examples.)
Quote:
The goal, to me at least, of drawing your favorate anime character, is to LEARN from it. Just like drawing from a live model, you're their to study and ANALYZE the forms of the model, or in fanarts case, an animated, or comic book character! You can't animate or draw something you can't understand, am I right?
It's apparent to me, that this guy didn't learn to draw at all, he merely just traces details, instead of sitting down and sayin, why does Orihime look so hot, or why is Kenpachi so awesome, and analyzing the models (or artwork if you will). Finding out how things tick and applying them to ones own work is how most artists come up with something awesome, as opposed to just traces.
Well, I'd say you should stick to live models and drawing from scratch. Looking at drawings for reference will only get you so far, but I keep hearing it's photos and live models that will truly teach you how to draw the human form. Not to mention a good study of architecture and such objects.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Actually it has.

This is the part of the show where you elaborate.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Iliketacos wrote:
A fanart, to an aspiring artist, is merely a way of showing your love for the show and the characters, no different then cosplay in my eyes.

Agreed.
Iliketacos wrote:
Fanart is a great way to learn how to draw and get yourself set up for hopefully, one day breaking out into the professional world.

Well, fanart doesn't have to be for the purpose of learning how to draw, or a stepping stone to a pro career. It could just be a way to have a favorite character doing something they don't normally do in the canonical material; admittedly a lot of the time that is a romantic (or even ecchi Shocked ) fantasy, but it could be anything. Want to see Kyon being tripped by Koizumi? Twisted Evil Want to see Kero-chan (from CC Sakura) sipping a martini? Cool Go to Artist's Alley at some con, and you can find someone willing to draw it for you. I think that is pretty damned cool.
anbuwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well they do all most look the same but Nick's art work is very good

um anybody can do a very good copy but yes i agree his art is quite good and maybe one day he can be what he wants but he has to ruin it by taking a short cut.
anbuwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
What Nick Simmon did is just some shameless copy and paste jobs. If it was some fanarts, then it's okay in my opinion, but he's now selling his comicbooks with contents which belong to an other artists/mangakas.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but don't artist in the Artist Alley of cons sell fanart all the time?

but he didn't mean it as fanart. actually he quoted that he had never even heard of bleach before(not that anyone actually believe him. i mean he doesn't live on an deserted island does he?). he meant it as his own original work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10