• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Simply pathetic. Go buy some face paint, and join a tribute band to your father. At least that way you wouldn't get in trouble for copying someone else's work. Laughing
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Momoyuki wrote:
I'm amazed that some of you are defending Nick Simmons by saying that tracing someone else's work is totally fine or expected in the manga industry compared to selling fanart at a convention. Artists who sell fanart do not trace. As an artist myself, I know that people who do trace don't last for very long in the art community, because tracing/plagiarism is a big deal. Drawing fanart is a way for the artist to express themselves by drawing their favorite characters in their own style, imagine their favorite characters in certain poses/situations/doing silly things, or just to pay homage to their favorite series/characters. And a lot of times, artists use existing characters to practice drawing. (What people do not realize is how hard it is to design original characters, especially when you have artist's block.) Even if you may have a problem with fanart, blame the people who make up the demand for fanart that's sold at cons. The profits the "fan artists" make probably only pay off the printing costs of the fanart, renting a table in the artist's alley, and their 3-day convention badge... and maybe some of their meals. That's why those same artists rely on commissions to make money.

I rarely ever draw fanart (I like to draw original characters since it's more of a challenge anyway), but I think many of you don't know what actually goes into drawing. It's one thing to copy the basic frame of a pose from a source, but it's another thing to photocopy practically every detail and claim it entirely as your own.

Also, Kubo Tite reacted in typical Japanese fashion (See tatemae). It shouldn't be surprising that he sounds calm about this. He's probably pretty upset over this (as any artist would be) but isn't expressing it due to tatemae.

To tell you the truth I'm not defending Nick Simmons, I'm just saying in an nice plea and Kubo understood where is this going from because back when he was young, He got flank on doing Bleach because it was similar than to Yu-Yu Hakusho and was saddened about until he had a phone call from Akira Toriyama telling him he like his project and keeps doing what is best and he didn't plagerize no one said he did. But he learned better on his animations and got what he is right now. I still think he would talk to the Simmons family and call of this issue off and maybe Nick would learn from Kubo's steps as time comes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
-dun...dun...dun...dun duh nun-

You keep on shouting...

YOOOOUUUU keep on shouting...

-du-duh chshh...du-duh chshh...du-duh chshh...du-duh chshh-

I....wanna rock and roll...ALL NIIIIIGHT....and plagiarize evaryyyy day!!!!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
ninja: It could be that the guy doing the drawings ripped off Bleach, and Nick didn't know.

RE: Facebook: Entry:
Quote:
Don't they write their comics backwards. Doesn't make sense

Um, where was your dad born again, dude? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the only positive is that people who keep up with that family might be interested in the manga, too.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget his worst crime. He didn't just copy Orihime... he made her boobs smaller... Death to the infidel! If you want small breasts, you trace Rukia!
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Whoa wait, he has a DA?
link, PLEASE!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
http://letsleepinggodslie.deviantart.com/

best part is here here he says:
Quote:

If you steal my artwork, you will pay. In cash.
Spank you very much and good night.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
The thing is this really isn't about the original artist anymore. Viz has copyright in America. There were many cases where BMI sued people for having MP3s of songs by musicians who publicly said they didn't care. Moral of the story: don't let lawyers smell blood.

Personally I think fan artists are heroes. More power to 'em. However, it is a bit hypocritical to complain about others "stealing" your art if you're gonna do this. Rolling Eyes
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Momoyuki wrote:
I'm amazed that some of you are defending Nick Simmons by saying that tracing someone else's work is totally fine or expected in the manga industry compared to selling fanart at a convention.

To tell you the truth I'm not defending Nick Simmons

I'm not really defending him, either, I've just been trying to point out that what he has been accused of doing isn't some isolated incident that is just despicable and beyond the pale. It's really quite common in the comic book industry, and it's not a sign that he is some despicable thief so much as a lazy artist who needs to work harder at his craft. I'm right there with everybody that thinks Incarnate is a derivative comic that's not worth spending money on, I'm just saying I don't think he deserves to be sued out of existence for making it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZangetsuN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Momoyuki wrote:
I'm amazed that some of you are defending Nick Simmons by saying that tracing someone else's work is totally fine or expected in the manga industry compared to selling fanart at a convention.

To tell you the truth I'm not defending Nick Simmons

I'm not really defending him, either, I've just been trying to point out that what he has been accused of doing isn't some isolated incident that is just despicable and beyond the pale. It's really quite common in the comic book industry, and it's not a sign that he is some despicable thief so much as a lazy artist who needs to work harder at his craft. I'm right there with everybody that thinks Incarnate is a derivative comic that's not worth spending money on, I'm just saying I don't think he deserves to be sued out of existence for making it.

Since he made money by copying some else's copyrighted art, he has to be sued...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
As if sueing solves everything. In this case it's probably a big waste of time and money. It's a short, unpopular comic. The only reason to sue would be to set an example and I doubt Viz needs that. The guy needs a slap on the wrist and a publishers that keeps a better eye on him.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect people to compare this to doujinshi or even fan art at US cons. In those cases, people are selling -because- they're promoting them as characters from popular manga. There's a whole debate on how that works and doesn't work, particularly in the US.

Yet this case isn't even comparable. This is a whole different animal. This case has a creator copying character designs and even whole panels... and calling them his original characters. That's a whole other level of deception.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
http://letsleepinggodslie.deviantart.com/

best part is here here he says:
Quote:

If you steal my artwork, you will pay. In cash.
Spank you very much and good night.

Thank you truly.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Kubo said in his second Twitter post that he is more interested in the fact that Gene Simmons' son is a comic creator, as opposed to whether there was actual copying or not. Thanks, maaya.

That's actually the first thing that popped into my mind when reading the article as well.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Now I do like the fact that somebody caught this, but I don't like the fact that the original GameFAQs thread went from talking about the similarities to self-congratulatory wank about how awesome GameFAQs is for catching this (I personally hate GameFAQs and the people who post there and this is a reason why)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10