• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick Simmons' Incarnate Halted Over Alleged Bleach Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kinda not new: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121047

In any case, there are not many mangaka who can say their art was copied by Gene Simmons' son.

Last edited by Tamaria on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, did I call it or what? I actually missed the Bleach connection until someone on CBR pointed it out. I kept seeing a cheap Hellsing knock off. Wasn't until this week that I saw the more detailed comparisons by Bleach fans. Good for them. This thing just exploded last night.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It's not exactly the same, undeniably, but you can't deny it's pretty much copied - the character design itself is plagiarized regardless of the panel that was.

But seriously, this irresponsible and utterly stupid attempt at a "manga" makes the author of D.Gray-man look like a genius.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
What else can you expect of Gene Simmons' blood.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Ink for a Kiss comic book?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This...honestly isn't that big a deal. The art swipes (where he traced over others' artwork) may prove that Nick Simmons is a lazy artist, but what he did isn't illegal because you can't copyright a pose. The US comics industry has a lengthy history of artists swiping from one another (heck, the first appearance of Batman was riddled with swipes). I doubt, as LydiaDianne says, that "this is going to hurt him professionally for quite some time," considering guys like Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, and David Mack are some of the biggest artists in comics and, as those links show, they swipe ALL THE TIME. (There's even a manga swipe in there...keep an eye out for Eat-Man on the Liefeld page!)

What *could* get him in more trouble are the character designs that look too much like copyrighted characters, and the lifted bits of dialogue. But that's not what anyone is concentrating on.

phoenixphire24 wrote:
I'm amazed at the Bleach copying though. This isn't even subtle! It's like he photocopied the pages and then just drew some details over them! Shocked

He probably used a light box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
what a surprise: the spoiled rich brat of an egomaniac was raised with everything handed to him and now he can't meet the demands of the real world and thus does whatever he feels like doing to further himself without paying proper dues. it's as unoriginal of a story as the supposed artist himself... hmm, life imitating art, maybe?
Spaceman-Spiff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Bear in mind as a Japanese manga creator, he's probably quite used to being copied in doujinshi...

This is correct. And many mangaka started as doujin writers.

vashfanatic wrote:

But this is shockingly blatant. There's "inspired by" and then there's "changing skin tone just a little." How can a professional (as opposed to a fan) get away with this? Well, hopefully he can't. Sue him NOW.

I agree with this too. This case is not like a doujin at all. A doujin usually only borrows the characters of a series, but told in different stories and art. But in this case, not only copying characters, he also copied the art and story. It's clearly a rip-off.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Well they do all most look the same but Nick's art work is very good
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well they do all most look the same but Nick's trace work is very good

Fix'd.

The Xenos wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Ink for a Kiss comic book?

And here I thought Dennis DeYoung was the de-facto musical douchebag with no taste or talent...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Actually in his second post Tite Kubo says something like

"Honestly, rather than "does it look alike or not", the fact that Gene Simmons' son is a mangaka is much more on my mind"

seems he doesn't want to make such a big deal out of it or he doesn't care much about it.

That... is... AWESOME

When you think about what we know about Kubo's musical tastes, then he is probably a fan. Now I don't ever remember him saying KISS specifically, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Now whether that means he truly doesn't care that he was copied is another thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, I don't picture Kubo actually giving an opinion on a legal matter in a public post, that's kind-of not appropriate (especially not Japan appropriate), but what he said is funny.

I actually feel kind-of impressed and sad, impressed because even with the alleged traced scenes (but obviously they were copied, not traced), the kid can draw well. Probably among the best Manga style western artists, but the fact that he is coping, and coping so much is sad... Was he just lazy? Was he so in love with bleach he had to make his own? Or is he just really bad at character design...

Truth be told, I'm hoping for the laziness, because I've got my eye out on this kid now, and I'm curious to see what else he may come up with!

Last edited by Bell02 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So far from Kubos response to all this stuff is pretty cool. You gotta hand it to him, he's a real down to earth kinda guy.
As for simmon's if he in fact did (im no one to judge) then he should first of all apologize and make amends.
Either way he's in allota trouble.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
So far from Kubos response to all this stuff is pretty cool. You gotta hand it to him, he's a real down to earth kinda guy.
As for simmon's if he in fact did (im no one to judge) then he should first of all apologize and make amends.
Either way he's in allota trouble.

I love the irony of his journal entry in devArt:
Quote:

If you steal my artwork, you will pay. In cash.

Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10