• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Loses Blood+ & Death Note, Hints at 3 New Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This confirms my assumption when AS aired 4 episodes on Saturday for the past two weeks which got them to the end. The only reason I could figure for them rushing to get to the end when it was on so late that it didn't really matter was to finish the show one last time.

I wouldn't mind if FMAB and Inuyasha made it on, and they seem logical considering they still air those shows after they both finished a while ago. I'm not so sure about Soul Eater. It's possible since Bleach has been consistent for them, but we'll see.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Viz doesn't talk about anything. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ocean started dubbing a while back. Death Note had a decently quick turn around from announcement to English broadcast.

Bigger longshots: Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles*, Xamd**, Ultraviolet: Code 44**

*= They'd only air this if they want half of their audience to fall asleep.

**= If Sony decides to release/dub these things
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Katane wrote:
Adult Swim loosing the rights to Death Note doesn't bother me as much as them loosing the rights to Blood+. As far as the three new shows my guess would be anything not from Funimation. The show they should want to loose the rights to is Big-O, Big-O sucks!

Blood+ performed horribly. I'm sure they are glad to see that go. They will never lose Big-O 2 because they co-produced it.

WhosAsking wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm guessing the new 3 series are Soul Eater, FMA: Brotherhood, and Sgt. Frog.
IIRC, Sgt. Frog is full of culture-specific jokes. Super Milk-chan had the same problem, and I don't think it really caught on.

I'm pegging Slayers as my longshot for the third anime.

Super Milk-chan failed because they used the wrong, unfunny to anyone, dub. I'd actually love to know if there is any truth to the rumors behind what happened with the show.

Nobody is going to broadcast Slayers. It is from the 90's and does not appeal to the [as] audience.

Actually Blood+ was done brilliantly, unlike some of the other shows in their lineup like Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist. Blood+ was one of their best shows in their lineup and they dropped the ball on that one. Big-o still needs to be dropped, it doesn't matter rather they co-produced it or not it still sucks and they just need to cut their loss with Big-O.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Gimme a break. Blood+ was twenty six episodes worth of a generic girl-kills-vampires story stretched out thinly over fifty episodes, with a dub featuring largely only Crispin Freeman and Kari Wahlgren. Big O and Fullmetal Alchemist were both excellent programs that lived up to their promise of mystery and immersive worlds with interesting characters.

Blood+ is little more than wish fulfillment for teenage girls who want to fall in love with a handsome vampire. They dress it up in horror and a few fight scenes, but they might as well call it Twilight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Big-O was boring and stupid and Fullmetal is overrated and juvenile at times. I would still take Blood+ over those two any day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, because Blood+ wasn't boring or stupid, right? What with the main character doing absolutely nothing until late in the second half of the overlong series and the only interesting characters being the antagonists, with their ridiculous, convoluted plans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
bankai3232 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I'll join in the assumption that Soul Eater, FMA: B, and Inuyasha: FA are the most likely pick-ups. Neither Blood+ or DN were rating-getters, but FMA and IY were,

Inuyasha, Bleach, Death Note are the top 3 highest rated for Adult Swim, thats not including cartoon networks animes, but FMA had to be atleast #4..but it wasnt in the top 3 with Death Note..

FMA and IY are #1 and #2 for AS ever. (I believe both of them held the ratings record at one point.)

Katane wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Blood+ performed horribly.
Actually Blood+ was done brilliantly,[snip]
Read what I wrote again. All that matters to [as] is ratings. It could be the worst show ever, but as long as it gets ratings, they will gladly air it. Blood+ did not do well ratings wise.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I REALLY hope they go it alone with a Detroit Metal City license, I'd love to see some of their regular stable of actors from shows like Venture Brothers or Metalocalypse tackle DMC, even squeeze in a few celebrity cameos like they do on Robot Chicken. I think it would be golden for them.

Emerje

This would be totally awesome if they got DMC. I was thinking the same thing when I started watching Metalocalypse and how perfect both shows would be back to back. Too bad DMC is only 12+ episodes long Sad.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'd love for them to air Vampire Knight. Not because I'm a fan of the manga (I'm not), but because I'd feel like dancing a jig if a *shojo* finally aired on [as]! Obviously, I'd prefer Nana, but it's already on the Viz network and Viz On Demand. Also, there is that whole matter of Vampiric love triangles being all the rage right now. Wink

What about Keikkashi? Viz has it and is currently dubbing it, right? I love the manga, but the anime might skew a bit young for [as].

Darker Than Black is a decent guess, and Baccano! would be awesome, but might have some editing issues for violence.

Gintama...*wistful* man, how I'd love that! It's aired on MTV in Italy! But it's not dubbed in English, so I'll just have to settle for the occasional Crunchyroll viewing (I can't watch anything but Youtube clios on the Crackberry).
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Katane wrote:

Actually Blood+ was done brilliantly, unlike some of the other shows in their lineup like Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist. Blood+ was one of their best shows in their lineup and they dropped the ball on that one. Big-o still needs to be dropped, it doesn't matter rather they co-produced it or not it still sucks and they just need to cut their loss with Big-O.

I must agree with this opinion, although Blood + is not a favorite series of mine or anything. What I saw of it was great, and I was hoping to watch it all. Perhaps if Sony re-releases it one day in the future, only cheap! I despise FMA more then anyone out there, and I am not a fan of Big O either. Blood + is much better then both of those lol. But I think I liked the movie the best though Blood: The Last Vampire was great. Short, quick to the point, and some sweet scenes.

I do hope they get something I like...

Agent355: There is no "Viz Network" or "Viz on Demand" . Nana is on Funimation on Demand, and probally their linear station too, but who cares because no one on the planet has that really lol. It is being released by Viz though. Also the DVDs are already coming out for that, I doubt they'd want to air something already out. Adult Swim usually airs things before the DVDs come out. Still if they got Nana I'd be very happy. It's an amazing show.
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, because Blood+ wasn't boring or stupid, right? What with the main character doing absolutely nothing until late in the second half of the overlong series and the only interesting characters being the antagonists, with their ridiculous, convoluted plans.

We can debate all night and it wouldn't get anyone of anywhere, let's leave at that.

quote="bayoab"]
bankai3232 wrote:
Katane wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Blood+ performed horribly.
Actually Blood+ was done brilliantly,[snip]
Read what I wrote again. All that matters to [as] is ratings. It could be the worst show ever, but as long as it gets ratings, they will gladly air it. Blood+ did not do well ratings wise.

Sorry I misunderstood you bet yeah I see what your saying, too bad too.

[quote="Prede"]
Katane wrote:

I must agree with this opinion, although Blood + is not a favorite series of mine or anything. What I saw of it was great, and I was hoping to watch it all. Perhaps if Sony re-releases it one day in the future, only cheap! I despise FMA more then anyone out there, and I am not a fan of Big O either. Blood + is much better then both of those lol. But I think I liked the movie the best though Blood: The Last Vampire was great. Short, quick to the point, and some sweet scenes.

I do hope they get something I like...

I agree with you although I think Blood+ was better than Blood The Last Vampire but that's just my personal opinion.
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Super Milk-chan failed because they used the wrong, unfunny to anyone, dub. I'd actually love to know if there is any truth to the rumors behind what happened with the show.

Nobody is going to broadcast Slayers. It is from the 90's and does not appeal to the [as] audience.
Well, they did Lupin the 3rd, and that dated back to 1978. It worked for a while because of its humor. Older series can still be entertaining, and Slayers is full of humor. And don't forget about the fourth series, Slayers Revolution, which is brand spanking new (so new it isn't out on video yet--good marketing angle for Funi, which is also why I mentioned El Cazador de La Bruja which only recently came out).
SpaceCobraJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Does anyone else think Death Note and Blood+ are ripe for Ani-Monday?

The current batch of adds for Ani-Monday on Chiller-TV shows a clip from the OVA: "Blood, The Last Vampire".
Both Blood+ and Death Note would fit right in with the horror and gore of Chiller's version of Ani-Monday.
SpaceCobraJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Slayers was never on Adult Swim, nor do I recall it airing on TV.

It was on the International Channel more than a decade ago. (Back when TCI was the cable company.)
SpaceCobraJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I always tried to help the ratings for blood+ but airing it at 4 am made it too hard

Question Doesn't everybody have a TiVo?
I watch [adult swim], but hardly ever in realtime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11