• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

Not buying this = less support for this. Which means less of a chance more titles like this will be released over here... Confused

To be quite honest, there is only one other title that is like this one that isn't already licensed, and it never will be licensed. Ever.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to be honest. I have not been able to get into this show. I have tried(I watched the first 15 episodes) and still I could not get into it.

I don't have a reason as to why. A friend suggested the show is too slow but that isn't a problem as I didn't think the show moved to slow and I have even watched and liked much slower shows then this.

The one thing I really don't like about the show is the animation and art style but normally I don't let something like that get in the way of a great show.

I guess I need to just take a break and come back to it at another time and see if my opinions change. Everyone has such a high opinion of it and I would like to see the series as a result.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

You didn't read my post. This is not Viz Media's fault (for once). This is what they got for the soundtrack. The French and Spanish DVD releases have the same soundtrack. It's a very small change, and it's something the Japanese did, not Viz Meida.

Not buying this = less support for this. Which means less of a chance more titles like this will be released over here... Confused

Frankly I'm aware of rights issues and the soundtrack changes being on other releases of Monster outside Asia for a while now. I wouldn't really fault Viz for that, though I can fault Viz for being the least communicative and least responsive to feedback of all US anime companies. Want to know if there are any changes? Just buy it and find out. Same with changes to Nana and Hunter x Hunter. Viz can't be bothered to ever say anything.

I'm not buying Monster due to soundtrack changes, and it's not because I'm looking for an excuse not to buy it. It's really a small expense compared to Japanese releases I buy. I don't buy shows with altered soundtracks, anime or otherwise. There are US TV series that I love that have been out on DVD for years - but with altered soundtracks due to rights issues. Haven't bought any, and if they're never released with the original soundtrack, I'll never buy them. I think I'll live.
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

spoiler[In the manga, Roberto strongly implies that Nina has to be killed because she's trying to kill Johan... but that doesn't make sense given that Johan won't kill specific people until they can see "the end": Dr. Tenma, Wolfe, Nina and Anna [the mother]]

spoiler[I think Roberto was disobeying Johan in order to protect him. It doesn't seem like something Johan would want to do. I think Johan wanted to meet his sister, why would he go through the trouble with having the cops bring her to him in the first place?]
Citan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the entire series fansubbed years back. Never thought it would get released in the states due to its length, content, and appeal. I love this show and I will make it my first anime purchase of 2010.

The music changes do irk me (I love that Sylvian song), but a few minor sound changes do not make or break a series. This show's caliber outweighs those minor changes.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Prede wrote:

To be quite honest, there is only one other title that is like this one that isn't already licensed, and it never will be licensed. Ever.

There are tons of seinen anime out there that don't get brought to the states because the companies fear (and rightfully so) that no one will buy them. By "titles like this" I mean very vaguely like this... Rolling Eyes
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Lunge is my favorite character; just wait, he becomes awesome (yet another reason this section is not yet as good as it ever gets).

Really? Him, the creepy weirdo? Becomes awesome? Boy that'll be a turnaround when I see it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Harrycombs wrote:
DKL wrote:

spoiler[In the manga, Roberto strongly implies that Nina has to be killed because she's trying to kill Johan... but that doesn't make sense given that Johan won't kill specific people until they can see "the end": Dr. Tenma, Wolfe, Nina and Anna [the mother]]

spoiler[I think Roberto was disobeying Johan in order to protect him. It doesn't seem like something Johan would want to do. I think Johan wanted to meet his sister, why would he go through the trouble with having the cops bring her to him in the first place?]

I'm under the same impression as Harrycombs, spoiler[that Roberto was acting more on his own in what he thought was Johan's interest, rather than following specific orders from him. For the most part, Roberto doesn't even have contact with Johan, does he?]
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What bothers me the most is this: Why is this anime rated lower than Death Note?

Not to denounce Death Note, but this one has so much more heart, a lot more lessons of life, and is REALLY fun to watch despite the length (which surprised me!).

I already pre-ordered this before, because the impression it left me on the SyFy channel convinced me that the pacing and story wouldn't bore me in the slightest...

I know Carl gave it an overall A/A-, but I'm sure those who haven't seen it prior to the SyFy release might be more impressed with a slightly higher grade. But Carl did an EXCELLENT job with this review. Haven't read a good like this one since his Druaga review!

And I loved the dub, as always. Liam O'Brian reminded me of Vince from Ergo Proxy, and Karen was great match for Nina, Richard was cool, Laura Bailey will always be one of my fav VAs, and Keith will make Johan!

Can't wait for the next release... and it's corresponding review!!!
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, what a good show it is. One of my favorites now that it is FINALLY available to see and buy.

People been complaining about how Viz changed the music for the show, but to be honest, I haven't notice and I could hardly care less. Sure, music can be good and add to the show, but the dialogue, the atmosphere given off from the settings, and the emotions from the characters do more for the show then the music. I have also heard the original music in the fansubs, but I'm still not bother since it didn't make an impression on me.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
What bothers me the most is this: Why is this anime rated lower than Death Note?

because people have actually watched death note
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

what?
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Kirikiri23 wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

what?

HUH!!!!????

I thought it was pretty clear
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I have to be honest. I have not been able to get into this show. I have tried(I watched the first 15 episodes) and still I could not get into it.

Otaking09 wrote:

It may just be my advanced age, but I think that having experienced the Cold War and its conclusion first-hand makes the story more compelling than it might be for someone too young to remember that historical period. Please understand I'm not saying younger people cannot enjoy Monster; I've read and enjoyed historical novels from periods before my lifespan as well. But it probably has less resonance for people for whom the Cold War and developments behind the "Iron Curtain" have no immediate resonance.

In fact, I wondered if Viz missed the boat by waiting so long to release Monster just because the audience has moved on. The viewing audience definitely skews very young, with 12-24 year-olds making up the majority of anime viewers. Most of those people weren't even born when the events that Monster portrays take place. The market of DVD purchasers is no doubt older than that, but it still drops off fast after age 35.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review.
I'm ecstatic that Viz brought this series over. Johan is one of the most intriguing (and creepy) antagonists I've ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6