• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
last exile and full metal alchemest

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
are these animes action and comedy? what animes can these be compared to?
firegirl22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about full metal alchemist, but last exile has some action, but not a lot of comedy, and when I say not a lot, I mean like Wolf's Rain seriousness. I'm not sure what to compare it to, so I'll leave that to someone else.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
For some Reason, I always compare Last Exile to Final Fantasy 3/6 with a little bit of Captian Harlock (for some reason, geuss it just might be Alex Row), with a little bit more seriousness and no magic/etc.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist is quite a bit more serious than would think. There is a lot of comedy to it, but it's spread out quite a bit. It's a good mix if you're looking for a show that fun to watch, takes itself seriously, but not so much that you won't laugh outloud atleast once every episode. It's a pretty unique series, not really sure what it could be compared to, alchemy is a very rare topic in anime (first show I've seen with it) and any show about magic just doesn't feel the same to compare fairly, and then there's the whole militant tone. Definatly a lot of action, quite graphic too, probably not good for the weak of heart (or stomache)

Haven't seen Last Exile yet so I can't comment on that one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Are any of these series similar to Inu Yasha
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
FMA isn't and I'm pretty sure Last Exile isn't either.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think so. I can't speak so much for Full Metal Alchemist (only seen the first three episodes), but Last Exile is very much a serious, epic drama with heavy steampunk and Leiji Matsumoto influences. Very far cry from being anything like Inu-Yasha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
balla wrote:
Are any of these series similar to Inu Yasha

Not one bit. FMA starts out very seriously, and scary if you ask me. Like Emerje said there is some comedy, but there is so much more drama to this series that you more often than not forget the humor.

Last Exile could actually in some aspects be compared to FMA in terms of feel, or atmosphere. Last Exile is for the most part very serious, but there is some comedy. Granted most of it is towards the beginning of the series, but there are humourous moments every now and then.

If I had to compare these two series to anything I would compare FMA to something such as Trigun, but without quite as many Vash being silly moments.

Last Exile could be compared to...well I don't know. I remember when I first watched it, the Vanship races reminded me of the pod races from episode one, except for much cooler lol. Sorry if I wasn't of any help. Wink

~LoneWolf
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
After reading the comment about FMA and Last Exile being asked if they were like Inu Yasha. I just can't help but be glad the show will have ended it's run in Japan in just a few more months. Franly I'm not an Inu yasha fan. Not a bad show but not sure what all the fuss is about. If you like RPG's FMA is for you. It's a truly awesome show. But it's not really a comedy. It is very much a dark drama. last Exile is good but the show is filled with far to many plot holes for my liking. It's another dark drama but also very good.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:32 am Reply with quote
Fenrir wrote:
After reading the comment about FMA and Last Exile being asked if they were like Inu Yasha. I just can't help but be glad the show will have ended it's run in Japan in just a few more months.

I thought that rumour was disproven.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:43 am Reply with quote
Fenrir wrote:
After reading the comment about FMA and Last Exile being asked if they were like Inu Yasha. I just can't help but be glad the show will have ended it's run in Japan in just a few more months.

This is unconfirmed by any official sources. Until there is an official announcement, it should be treated as a rumor. See ANN's news article on it here. Also, at the time that someone posted the rumor of Inu Yasha's end on a message, there were no other sources reporting it and discussion about it died rather quickly. That doesn't mean that it's not going to end in September, but the source information is unreliable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1