• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So, what does it take to get a coveted 3rd Season?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Anime series can follow runs as small as 6-12 episodes, and sometimes if 24 or 30.

After the 1st season, if the show did well enough, a second season might be comissioned. Not a surprising occurrence, it happens a lot actually.

And the 2nd season comes and goes and :poof:, the manga/light novels continue while the anime incarnation ends completely.

Which makes me wonder simply - what does it take for an anime to reach its 3rd season or beyond?

I mean, i'm pretty sure that something like Haruhi Suzumiya will continue on for a bit - unless Endless Eight fiasco has completely gutted the fanbase. I know why something like Bleach, Pokemon, or Dragonball can go on FOREVER...

But, take the example of Shakugan no Shana (an anime which i'm actually not fond off) - it seem to have a pretty big fanbase, and it was rather popular. But it also suffered the :poof: effect.

So what does it take to reach season 3?
Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Wu Ming wrote:
Wink

1: The volume of Dvds sold.
2: The sponsor didn't care about what fans thought and pushed for another season.
3: The story was left open for a third season and a sponsor was barely found.
3 1/2: The barely found sponsor gave up and the third season discontinued.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
2: The sponsor didn't care about what fans thought and pushed for another season.
You forgot 4)Anime character related merchandises sales. As long as anime fans keep buying what they've seen in anime, the sponsors will keep making anime that advertise their related merchandises.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
It takes mainly 3 things. One, big ratings. The higher the ratings the more they can charge for advertising. If they are able to make a large amount of money off of the advertising it will have a chance of getting another season. Two, dvd and merchandise sales. The more money the companies can make the better. If they see that there is a large fan base willing to spend allot of money on it then it might get another season. But this is the biggest factor into getting another season, story. If the creators make a self contained series with in one or 2 seasons (or an ova) then they most likely wont go one to more seasons. That's why no matter how much the fans want it there's not going to be another season of Samurai Champloo, or Ergo Proxy, or (insert name of series here). Basically what I'm getting at is that there are some anime that aren't suppose to have a second or third season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
I don't know if there's a specific criteria. You raise an interesting point though. It seems like while 2 season anime are somewhat common but you hardly ever see something that runs 3 seasons. (Unless it goes on to run for ages.)
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems like while 2 season anime are somewhat common but you hardly ever see something that runs 3 seasons. (Unless it goes on to run for ages.)

Nowadays, many shows only exist to exploit an existing property, such as a manga or light novel.

The problem is that a title can only remain hot for so long. By the time they've gone through two seasons (and suckered otaku into buying so many character CDs, theme songs, figures, and DVDs), the property has already had its day. While another sequel might still be profitable, those investing in anime would rather aim for the next big thing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
egoist wrote:
You forgot 4)Anime character related merchandises sales. As long as anime fans keep buying what they've seen in anime, the sponsors will keep making anime that advertise their related merchandises.

Also:

5: A storyline or series concept long enough or good enough to sustain itself for more than 2 seasons. (Reguardless of whether it actually succeeds at this in the end)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
5: A storyline or series concept long enough or good enough to sustain itself for more than 2 seasons.

Crest of the Stars managed this, did it not? The existing novelised material was presumably instrumental in allowing another sequel to be animated, but one presumes the novels could just as easily have been condensed into a single series. The low episode count per series could have played a role as well, methinks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Wu Ming wrote:
Wink

"..And lots of money.. pulayah..."
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
If a anime has had two seasons before hand the other way a "3rd season" would be added would be in OVD format. That only happens with manga sales are good and you know people will spent the extra money to buy a LE copy with a OVA released with it. Only ones I think of are. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Negima! both Shaft titles I might add. They got two animes seasons and a set of OVD releases counting as half a season or a new series all together.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Also:

5: A storyline or series concept long enough or good enough to sustain itself for more than 2 seasons. (Reguardless of whether it actually succeeds at this in the end)
Slayers Revolution was an exception of that rule; the original novel ended its story run, while the new anime is therefore a whole new story that used the characters and settings of the Slayers franchise to generate viewings. So you could say that the Japanese anime industry will keep making sequels of anime series, as long as there will be enough people watching them, Regardless the story itself being good, bad, or consistent at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1