• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
should ANN run through the site and refresh the memberlist?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graywolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
i only ask cus of the huge number of unused accounts

or am i bing an moron. feel free to bash me if i am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The memberlist accounts for all users on the site. That includes contributions to the encyclopedia and the My Anime section.

So, there are probably a lot fewer unused account than there looks.
graywolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
yes true but i have found alot with a little reserch that haven't been on in years.

i am also worryed about bringing it up i dont want to cause truble but i entered the first post befor i realized what i asked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't this belong in the site related folder? Anyway, it is true that there are not all that many people in the "My Anime" or other such sections; definately way less than ther entire memberlist. It wouldn't hurt to expunge some of the delinquent accounts, although I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth.
BlueRaven12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Some people just read the forums a lot and keep an account so that they can post if they want to. I'm pretty sure a fair number of the accounts are sporadic posters.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
A lot of people usually sign up and post only sporadically. It wouldn't be fair to get rid of their accounts for not having a high post count..
Depression

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
It would probably be easier just to leave all the members in also you can not tell what they are doing while on the site, they may just check post every while or just use the Encyclopaedia. Also what if the person ever wants to come back and post something they would have to create a whole new account. Also people may then also just create random meaningless post to stop their account from getting deleted which would create more work for the moderators. But I do agree that there are a lot of inactive members from time to time but that is no reason to delete them all.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
BlueRaven12 wrote:
Some people just read the forums a lot and keep an account so that they can post if they want to. I'm pretty sure a fair number of the accounts are sporadic posters.

Check the memberlist; the majority of people on there have never posted at all. Neither have they contributed to the encyclopedia or have "my anime" lists. Like I said, having their names on the list doesn't really hurt anything, but they don't contribute anything either.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I take it you're a bit of a neat freak like me too? Smile

I like refreshing member lists as well, but with something this big, time might be better spend on adding new features to the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1