• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Never-ending anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I don't care about length, I'm here for story/characters, and if one chooses to tell a longer story, I'm cool with it.

This is fine, and I agree with the sentiment. If they have plenty of source material to work from, or a well-made plan, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, once it seems like they're just making stuff up at random to fill time, I'm out. Inexorably, these long-running shonen shows always seem to get to that point eventually. The storytelling has a significant effect on my enjoyment of a series, to say the least.

Here's one more thing to consider: for almost every show (if not all) that is going to run over 52 episodes, the animation quality eventually suffers at some point. The producers simply don't have enough money to continue to produce top-notch animation over the long term, even for immensely popular series. It gets to the point where the animation is being farmed out to the third-string Korean animation team and there are obvious differences compared to how it started out.

I'm not saying that the animation quality is the be-all, end-all of what makes anime enjoyable, but it is not something to be overlooked either, and can definitely affect how you perceive a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
I'm not saying that the animation quality is the be-all, end-all of what makes anime enjoyable, but it is not something to be overlooked either, and can definitely affect how you perceive a title.

Oh definitely, I recognize animation won't compare to most other studios' shorter series, though there are exceptions. Shippuden episode 82, for example, has incredible animation sequences throughout the entire episode. Also, One Piece often has "movie" episodes, where the animation is on par with their movie-quality, which is pretty good and does a fairly good job of capturing Oda's amazing art.

I've never felt like OP made stuff up and it's often brilliant in bringing back obscure elements or mysteries many chapters/episodes later, and while Naruto will suddenly bring in a random new element every now and then, the vast majority of the conflict is well set up for earlier in the story. Though take something like Dragonball, and yeah, you can tell when Toriyama was pulling stuff out of his rear. The Saiyans were definitely not set up for. Frieza was a natural extension of the Saiyan arc, and Androids/Cell worked by bringing back an old enemy of Goku's. Buu, on the other hand, felt like Toriyama was just throwing random elements left and right.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess very long anime put me off for being, repetitive, questionable quality (stretching out plot) or just being boreing. I am watching Bleach, though it gets a bit frustrating at times with not much development, and I think my favirout parts are when good side go dark and powerful in a fight, such as when Kenpachi gets to fight. After hearing about Detective Conan I took a look to see how many episodes, though I don't quite feel like going through the incredibly large number and same with One Piece. Though I would say that Hayate no Gotoku which counting its knew season has over 52 episodes is very good. Despite so many it manages to keep it fresh with lack of repeating itself or if it does repeat something it might be mentioned in a comedic fashion. Not to mention that they actualy make a parody of a plot if they choose to go for a cliche.
Sword Magess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Bitter_Almonds wrote:
You don't know "neverending" until you begin watching Sazae-san, Doraemon, and The Simpsons Cool

Those series share a common trait: They are episodic and change only with the aesthetics and social issues of the decade. The same is true of another famous decade long runner--Detective Conan. In terms of manga, Golgo 13 also fits into this category. The advantage of a series having an episodic structure is that there is no overarching point to reach, unlike Inuyasha, where nearly 200 episodes were spent on the same goal spoiler[that wasn't even accomplished.] I find it pointless to criticize such episodic series for their length, just as I do not criticize newspaper comics such as Garfield and Peanuts for having the longevity they did.

Some infinite shounens occupy a middle ground, where the first n arcs are often capable of being stand-alones. Take Dragon Ball Z, the most often mentioned offender when long running series are discussed. It would have been a complete narrative if it were truncated at 106 episodes, from the beginning to the end of the Freeza saga. Likewise, episode 194, the end of the Cell saga, could have also provided closure.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Bitter_Almonds wrote:
You don't know "neverending" until you begin watching Sazae-san, Doraemon, and The Simpsons Cool

Of course, with the current story arc, I have to say Haruhi is about the most "endless" series of all time. Very Happy

I'm just glad they're giving us the "condensed" version with only 6 episodes (and counting) rather than 15,221...
Xenosaga1980

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The longest running anime series I own is Rurouni Kenshin, The Slayers TV and You're under arrest. I kinda got mixed feelings towards the new seasons of Slayers. Can only hope for the best. But if Crispin Freeman isnt voice for Zelgadis in the new episodes, I wont buy it. I got too many fond memories of the old seasons:)

I do not like shows that goes on for eternity. I am prolly gonna buy Naruto when all the boxsets is ready, but thats due cause a recommendation from I friend I trust fully.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Xenosaga1980 wrote:
Can only hope for the best. But if Crispin Freeman isnt voice for Zelgadis in the new episodes, I wont buy it. I got too many fond memories of the old seasons:)

Rejoice Xenos
Quote:
The Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R's English dubbing cast has been announced:
ADR Director
Michael Sinterniklaas

Lina: Lisa Ortiz
Gourry: Eric Stuart
Amelia: Veronica Taylor
Zelgadis: Crispin Freeman
Xellos: Michael Sinterniklaas

Funimation will ship Slayers Revolution in early 2010.

That's actually old news, but it's still pretty damn great. So go ahead and geek out, everybody else did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenosaga1980

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the gang is almost all here.

They've changed the voice actor for Xellos i see.
I kinda enjoyed Xellos voiced by the original David Moo
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with doctordoom85, in that 52 episodes should be an upper limit for anime. Beyond that you tend to get filler episodes or other "drag-out" techniques. This is despite four of my favorite series of all time (Dragonball Z, Bleach, YuYu Hakusho, and Naruto) being well over that mark. I reconsile that by saying that it depends on how they adapt the source material. As long as there's a constant flow of new material I don't really mind length.

Naruto, for example, is supposed to be a 100+ episode behemoth (minus all the filler you'd still have over 100 episodes). DBZ could have been boiled down into four or five 26-episode arcs. I think people, myself included, are more annoyed at drawn-out plots and senseless filler than the show's actual length. Granted, there are plenty of shows in the 26-52 episode range that have been drawn out (Blood+ and Witchblade come to mind).

Funny how manga never has this problem. Naruto as a whole has 44 volumes and counting in the US. Inuyasha will have 50+ volumes at completion. One Piece has 50+ volumes in Japan and Oda says he's a little more than half done. All of which kinda makes me wonder how they got nearly 300 episodes of anime out of 26 volumes of manga (DBZ).
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
Funny how manga never has this problem.

Manga has filler too. It's usually an excuse for the creator to put the plot on hold, pull out all kinds of wacky oneshot characters and just concentrate on drawing fight scenes, AKA a tournament.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sword Magess wrote:
Bitter_Almonds wrote:

Those series share a common trait: They are episodic and change only with the aesthetics and social issues of the decade. The same is true of another famous decade long runner--Detective Conan. ... The advantage of a series having an episodic structure is that there is no overarching point to reach, unlike Inuyasha, where nearly 200 episodes were spent on the same goal spoiler[that wasn't even accomplished.]

Yes. When all the episodes are stand-alone, a series can't rely on ongoing story to keep viewers hooked, so they have to produce at a consistently good quality level.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Gabriel Osamu wrote:

One Piece, for example, consists for over 400 episodes, and I just can't seem to get myself to view all those... "hmm.." 8.000 hours of anime... I simply don't have 333 days on my hands. o.O

How did you get a figure of 8000 hours?

Assuming 3 episodes per hour, that would be 133.33 hours. Even if you only watched 2 episodes per hour, that would be 200 hours.

You multiplied the number of episodes by 20 minutes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm, looking at anime I dropped but enjoyed, we have: Case Closed, Bleach, and Ranma 1/2, in the case of two of them, still not finished (I quite Bleach around ep 150, the time when they had all those pointless fillers like the cake making one).

I do have a few mostly finished super long anime (like DBZ, seen everything except the cell saga, it never seemed to be on TV for some reason), or namely just DBZ, I can't think of any other ones.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is on hold, it's rather overwhelming for me, it's 110 episodes and two more OVAs of 24 and 26 episode length and like 3 movies. So far, it's been very good, but it's quite a daunting task.

I prefer to stick around the 26 episode range personally, but every so often I want to watch something longer, but by longer, I mean 52 episode range (although Avatar, Monster, Robotech, stuff like that are exceptions for me) and if it's going to be longer than 52 eps, then it sure as heck better be complete already or just about complete and complete for realsies, not with some potential of a cliff hanger or whatnot annoying. It's like honestly, most any idea should competently be able to be completed in 52 episodes or less (with rare things like Monster being 74 being just fine). No more "The planet's going to blow up in 5 minutes!" and then have it take 6 episodes, that is not good pacing.

I think I wouldn't have a problem with these shows if they weren't so anxious to get an episode out every week and waited for each arc to finish or near finish in the manga and then animated it without filler and whatnot. Or even wait for the arc to be half over on longer ones. Sure, this would mean coming out with more to the show years later, but at least it would be done more concisely with less wasted time. I don't think that's gonna happen, but hey, wishful thinking!
Ardlien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to shows I sense intend to continue indefinitely. This isn't a problem that is confined to anime, a lot of "drama" on television recently has evolved into what I can only describe as higher quality soap operas. While some begin with engaging stories, it seems to me that as soon as a show (anime or otherwise) gains popularity, writers are tempted to continue the series at all cost to plot. I don't think anime has fallen as far into this trap as live-action drama (I'm looking at stuff like lost [they already got off the island, come on], prisonbreak [pretty sure they got out of jail...], heroes [already saved that cheerleader] etc.) where the pattern has become "here is an interesting premise, people like these characters, now to keep grinding out new conflicts to solve every few months till we've milked it dry." Shonen animes with very few exceptions follow this pattern. While it makes for good money, quality storytelling it ain't.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
I take long-running anime titles cautiously as I look over enough critiques and fan reactions to the series before I consider jumping into such titles. As folks said, anime titles running for 50 or 100 episodes at a time are a long-time commitment and you want to be sure that it will be worth your time. With titles like Hajime no Ippo and Monster at 70+ episodes, I would think for weeks at a time if such shows would be worth my time before I finally decided to commit towards them. I also have interest in wanting to check out Kodocha, Touch, and Maison Ikkoku at some point which are close to or over 100 episodes which would be much bigger commitments for me. It's better to know the thoughts of other fans to a title before you jump the gun and watch anything with ridiculously long lengths.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3