• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yare yare...

One can't help but wonder what sort of reaction this announcement would have gotten had the news of uncut 4Kids releases through FUNi not preceded it.

Anyway, I don't really know what to say here. Though I have "defended" 4Kids in the past (c'mon, against those people you'd have all done the same), I don't necessarily condone their treatment of the anime titles they acquire. The FUNimation subtitled releases are a good sign, but the only confirmed titles we have on that end are Shaman King & Yu-Gi-Oh!. I myself haven't seen One Piece, but I am somewhat interested in it (due in no small part to Zac's praise of the series), and the fact it's coming to this country in some form is at least a little positive.

It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

*proceeds to smash face into keyboard*

If FUNimation doesn't get the DVD rights - the uncut DVD rights - I might just strangle Lance Heiskell the next time I see him. Because Alfred Kahn and Norman Grossfeld would never show their faces at a convention... the yellow bastards...

Tonight, on fox, when animation fans attack...
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Edit- Ya, ok...MANY whineyfanboys right now....well *cough* I said that the future looks uncertain well not anymore. 4Kids is probably going to treat this good, so there is no need to flame bomb 4kids as FUNi is probably releasing subbed versions...ok? The urge to kill is going down isn't it?

Last edited by Animefreak08 on Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'm not too concerned. Shaman King turned out great, with very little (if any) sugar coating added. It's a show about the dead and they spotlighted it without concealing touchy subjects like murder.

Just like a show about Pirates will have to focus on what pirates do. It's going to be hard to make it anything else. I actually doubt anyone else could handle it better on network television.

You also have to figure that if any other company wanted the series they whould have gotten it. You really think 4Kids has more buying power than ADV or Geneon? 4Kids gave Toei and Fuji what they wanted, mass merchandise options. The ability to plug a series into as many markets as possible.

I'm all for it. We'll get a TV broadcast, Uncut DVDs, AND mountains of "stuff". I'm just crossing my fingers that Bandai gets the toy license and not Mattel...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel certain that the closely announced news of the uncut DVDs of 4Kids series and the aquisition of One Piece foreshadow that Luffy will get the same treatment. I'll just wait it out.

And for those people who think that 4Kids is going to aim towards a more mature audience: Look at their name. It's called 4Kids, not 4Everybody.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HAX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This truly sickens me to my core. If the series is ruined, I will be boycotting it. e-mails have already been sent expressign my distaste for their decision

The following link is to an interesting quote made by 4Kids CEO regarding Tokyo MewMew

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4584
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

If FUNimation doesn't get the DVD rights - the uncut DVD rights - I might just strangle Lance Heiskell the next time I see him. Because Alfred Kahn and Norman Grossfeld would never show their faces at a convention... the yellow bastards...

That's an awfully unfair way to treat a nice man, who has no bloody say in the final process.

Wow, just a month ago, everyone was saying, "OMGOMGOMG FUNI IS TEH ANTI-CHRIST" and now everyone's wanting FUNi to get a jump on this. Huh.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Lance on AoD wrote:
Found out the same time as you all did. Everyone is at Licensing Show right now. Will find out more soon.

Dang.

That's not a particularly good sign...

That's a rep of Funimation, isn't it? If Funimation had no idea about it, that's definatly not a good sign.

I'll just continue to download fansubs of this show. Sure they're illegal now, but they're the only option at the moment for an uncut version, unless you go bootleg which I will not touch with a 20 foot poll.

I really hope someone at 4Kids or Funimation will announce an uncut version soon. Tokyo Mew Mew, Yugioh, and Shaman King didn't have a giant fanbase of non-kids like One Piece does... maybe 4Kids hasn't realised this yet...

*continues to cry over her Sanji loosing his signature object* That's going to be a lot of digitally removing there. Will Sanji forever have a blurrly thing near his mouth?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'll just continue to download fansubs of this show. Sure they're illegal now, but they're the only option at the moment for an uncut version, unless you go bootleg which I will not touch with a 20 foot poll.

Don't kid yourself; they were always illegal. Now they're only more visibly illegal. Bootlegs aren't the only option, either, as I can clearly see One Piece DVDs on amazon.co.jp.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Sanji will will a toothpick in his mouth now rofl...

But seriously, all this whining is immature, why not show 4Kids we arent immature kids and mature anime fans?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Don't kid yourself; they were always illegal. Now they're only more visibly illegal. Bootlegs aren't the only option, either, as I can clearly see One Piece DVDs on amazon.co.jp.

Yes, I know fansubs have always been illegal, but the industry usually has a blind eye for them, and yeah, the amazon.co.jp option is up, but I don't have an unlimited supply of money which I can spend on paying 70 bucks for 4 or less episodes a dvd when I don't even have a region 2 dvd player. I commend those who can do this though. Not everyone is lucky enough to go to Japan either to find the official dvds at their cheapest. Whatever happened to the animation industry trying to stop the imporation and exportation of dvds to other regions anyway? Last I heard they were against this as well. Maybe it's all some scam Toei is playing to try and boost their region 2 dvd sales.

Between paying money for someone making a living off pirating anime, and downloading from someone just translating it as a hobby and not getting any money, I'll pick the later. Would it be more to your liking if I just downloaded raws with the commercials in tact? Not that it matters to me, but hey, I may be on the other side of the world, but I can go down to my local oriental food market and buy some of that gum, or some of those Pokemon soccer pez candies that pop up in the commercials so much. What's the difference between my downloading that raw or hooking up my sattelite to pick up Japanese channels?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well... I woke up my roomate with my cursing.. so you can guess how pissed I am about this. This is just the worst company to get it. There was talk of a huge bidding war over One Piece, so I souldn't be surpised the big company with all the money from cash cows like Yu-Gi-Oh would win.

I was hoping for Funmation from the start because I really like them. From experiences at cons, they seem like a really good compnay dedicated to pleasing fans. They also gave us the impression that they really like One Piece. My friend who got us all into One Piece and I ran into one of the Funmation guys at a con. He actully came to us to ask what shows we liked and such. We mentioned One Piece and his eyes lit up. He said there was nothing offital but there was an interest and you could tell he liked the series himself. I have never even seen 4kids at a con and heard nothing but bad things about them and they seem to be a company distant from fans.

My greatest concern is the dub. I like dubs. If they censor it I sure hope they have uncut versions, but if the dub is bland, then there's nothign you can do. I can only hope they might use the same studios that Funmation has used lately because I have enjoyed their work. I just wnat a good dub.

Plus this is going on Fox. I HATE Fox. They have had a long history of butchering shows, both anime and domestic. Heck, I remember hearing horror stories of stupidity in censoring even back with the Batman toon. Especially in today's climate, I cannot assume things have gotten better. I was hoping cartoon network would get this and it would end up on like Toonami or even just later at night. It may be cartoony, but it's got a fair share of drama too. Face it, One Piece is now a saturday morning cartoon on Fox. I think it derserved better than that.

Now someone mentioned Shaman King. I admit I haven't watched it. You say they did a decent job there. I hope that's it is a sign that One Piece may get a decent treatment, but I can't help but think the worst or at least just bad. This just isn't calculating out to a good thing in my head. I think One Piece derserved a better comany than this rather than just the richest and possibly most cheap one.

-Xenos
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Plus this is going on Fox. I HATE Fox.

<snip>

Now someone mentioned Shaman King. I admit I haven't watched it. You say they did a decent job there. I hope that's it is a sign that One Piece may get a decent treatment, but I can't help but think the worst or at least just bad. This just isn't calculating out to a good thing in my head.

Let's be rational about this. 4Kids has a history of doing...interesting things to their shows on TV, so that's a legitimate concern for TV viewers. But your complaining about FOX is quite uninformed, as you admit yourself. You'd be wise to forget the "hunches" and stick with facts.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Professor Genius wrote:
which basically means it's 4Kids or something worse.

Something worse! Is that even possible? Shocked

The reaction I've read in this thread is truly amazing. I've never seen the show, but it must be awsome to warrant this kind of response.

If there is market for uncut Yugioh *who would waste their time/money on such a thing?* then uncut One Piece will definately be produced as well.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to be honest, I'm basing my Fox bias of stories from years ago. Still overall I don't like the network and how it treats shows. Not so much on the recent Saturday morning shows though as I haven't been following those as much lately. Anyway, I'll drop any argument there.

Also, looking over the small report 4kids has "domestic distribution" rights. Now you would think this means they are in charge of dubs and editing. Now maybe someone who knows the terminology a bit better and knows precidence could point out what this means. Mainly I wonder if there is a possiblility of someone like Funmation being in charge of the dub.

As always, we should always wait for more details. Still, I don't think people would have to and be so upset if a better company and network/timeslot got Luffy and crew.

-Xenos
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15