• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think anime is too expensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
All of the current R1 companies have rather large companies backing them, and without someone to help pony up cash, living and dying by your own sales becomes VERY important.

There's a misconception to think companies "back" the little ones they own. Navarre simply owns FUNimation, but does not "back" this company financially. Thus, Navarre's video game revenues can not be used to support FUNimation losses. Not legally, anyway.

FUNimation is its own corporation, and thus, must justify their expenses with this corporate entity, not Navarre. If anything, FUNimation actually supports Navarre, not the other way around.

Thus, FUNimation, and others, are living and dying by their own sales.

Geneon isn't dead, actually. It's just no longer doing business in the U.S. as an anime distributor. I still believe, as with ADV, corporate management plays a big factor on the company's overall performance. Pieces I've read here and there point to this more than anime costs.

I still believe FUNimation is going to be the sole US distributor, and I'm guessing by 2012. They're obviously doing something well enough Navarre hasn't thought about selling the company. Revenues must be good.
Smile

With the loss of DVD sales, however, things don't look good for the future of any anime distributor. Retailers are going to be the first hurt, as more will be forced to liquidate stock which doesn't sell with prices which simply can't be made up elsewhere.

TRSI obviously will do great for a while with this, but eventually, their stock will also plummet. Can't buy overstock when it doesn't exist.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but sales data doesn't lie.
Sad
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
ven0m57 wrote:
haha depends on the fruit. i am totaly digging a pear right now. lol Laughing but could you explain what you mean?

I think Animeister's analogy was that buying anime is like buying anything else, but fruit is a necessity, whereas anime is a luxury.

Or else he is a pro-piracy troll, which was my first thought.

Prices are set according to what the market will bear as well as what is necessary for the company to remain solvent. I think companies would have been better off had they made better decisions on release formats early on. But then ADV in particular was constantly handicapping itself by releasing low-cost collections too soon after a release run was finished. You could also argue that Pioneer/Geneon had a similar problem but in the opposite direction; they would wait years to release collections and then charge almost the same price as if you bought all the singles. They tried to make up for it when they started having trouble, but by then it was too late. Was it ever possible to buy Trigun for less than $150 barring a massive retailer-initiated sale?

Also, anime is not a right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I still believe FUNimation is going to be the sole US distributor, and I'm guessing by 2012. They're obviously doing something well enough Navarre hasn't thought about selling the company. Revenues must be good.
Smile

I dunno, I've been wondering for a while now if Funimation isn't risking a similar kind of overextension as what got ADV into trouble. Right now they're being buoyed up by the fact that they were able to pick up and release a lot of significant titles comparatively cheaply; for most of their Geneon and ADV rescues, the entire production work (even including the packaging in many cases) was already done, so they just had to release it. Will they still be doing as well now that they've run through all the titles they picked up which didn't require production cost?

Faytlein wrote:
ADV is living off their catalog now, which isn't a good long term plan.

Not entirely. They did put out Clannad as a significant new release and recently acquired a few worthy license rescues, after all. Admittedly, though, they aren't the major player in the new-releases market that they were two years ago.

Blood- wrote:
The distributor does pay a license fee (not an astronomical expense these days), translation (again, a minimal expense - anime translators are not paid very much per script), dubbing & mixing (if a dub is done - again, this is not a huge expense because VA and crew who work on anime don't make much). DVD production itself is peanuts.

The main expense to a distributor are the wages for their staff and office expenses.

Even though license fees seem like they have come down (half-season boxed sets wouldn't be practical if they hadn't), you're underestimating that expense. Companies never talk numbers on licensing fees, but I've heard from people "in the know" that license fees are typically the #1 cost an anime importing company faces and join complicated rights agreements as the top barriers to certain titles getting licensed for U.S. distribution.

As for dubbing costs, given what voice actors are paid per hour (and it's often below union rates), overhead studio costs, and dubbing staff costs, I'd be surprised if the average cost of dubbing an anime episode is less than $2,000 per episode, and probably quite a bit more than that. That means a typical single volume probably costs around $10,000 to dub, a typical 12-13 episode boxed set around $25,000, and a typical full-season boxed set at $50,000+. If anime sold Disney/Pixar-level numbers then that would be chump change, but no anime release comes even close to that level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Will they still be doing as well now that they've run through all the titles they picked up which didn't require production cost?

I don't think any distributor would be doing well based on current releases without re-released titles.

But even with them, I do believe they're struggling. Can't dismiss the sales figures of the last two years as not having an impact.

A monopoly for a US distributor seems the only choice for at least one to remain in business. Competition, despite the woes of ADV, is still hurtful.

One box set of an ADV re-release is one less for FUNimation.

My fear is Bandai. This company scares me, but I can't put my finger on why. They're just too quiet. Reminds me of a clear day before the thunderstorm producing damaging tornadoes blows through town.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:
The distributor does pay a license fee (not an astronomical expense these days), translation (again, a minimal expense - anime translators are not paid very much per script), dubbing & mixing (if a dub is done - again, this is not a huge expense because VA and crew who work on anime don't make much). DVD production itself is peanuts.

The main expense to a distributor are the wages for their staff and office expenses.

Even though license fees seem like they have come down (half-season boxed sets wouldn't be practical if they hadn't), you're underestimating that expense. Companies never talk numbers on licensing fees, but I've heard from people "in the know" that license fees are typically the #1 cost an anime importing company faces and join complicated rights agreements as the top barriers to certain titles getting licensed for U.S. distribution.

As for dubbing costs, given what voice actors are paid per hour (and it's often below union rates), overhead studio costs, and dubbing staff costs, I'd be surprised if the average cost of dubbing an anime episode is less than $2,000 per episode, and probably quite a bit more than that. That means a typical single volume probably costs around $10,000 to dub, a typical 12-13 episode boxed set around $25,000, and a typical full-season boxed set at $50,000+. If anime sold Disney/Pixar-level numbers then that would be chump change, but no anime release comes even close to that level.

Interesting info. My own knowledge of distrib expenses is very limited, so I appreciate this kind of background. Well, all I can say is I hope the NA distrib biz bounces back and flourishes, because they are the only ones who provide dubs for anime (notwithstanding the seemingly increasing practice of sub only releases).
Akemi L. Mokoto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Anime isnt expensive at all. Dont trust my word, with the money I make, Almost Nonthing is Expensive. Sorta...Well Anime Materal isnt anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
There's a misconception to think companies "back" the little ones they own. Navarre simply owns FUNimation, but does not "back" this company financially. Thus, Navarre's video game revenues can not be used to support FUNimation losses. Not legally, anyway.

FUNimation is its own corporation, and thus, must justify their expenses with this corporate entity, not Navarre. If anything, FUNimation actually supports Navarre, not the other way around.

Thus, FUNimation, and others, are living and dying by their own sales.

I probably misused the term "backing" here. When I say "backing", I'm not saying that Navarre utterly supports all of Funi's efforts, profits be damned. Navarre gets good press when Funi does well, and if Funi gets into financial troubles, Navarre CAN loan them money, but it must be paid back. Because while Funi is allowed to retain its corporate identity for tax purposes, its "wholly owned" by Navarre. So its more of a partnership than "backing", but its kind of similar.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it can too be expensive but understand it is a lot cheaper to be a 4-episode disc for twenty-something dollars here than a 2-episode disc in Japan for like 60-70 bucks.
arachneia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think the problem lies in people feeling that they cannot quantify art, ideas, and the emotional response that they get from a show or a movie, thereby making themselves willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for something that cost a fraction of the sum to produce.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Expensive? No, not really. After bills, college expenses, and food, I still have enough left over from my job to waste on my DVD, music, and manga collections. If you shop online and take advantage of sales, used items, or pre-order lots of things you end up paying a lot less.

I've cut back on anime recently but that's due more to waiting for collections/boxes now instead of buying singles. Chiefly because that's how most of what I want is being released and furthermore because of being burned by Geneon and ADV and their fiascoes and worrying whether or not I'll be able to fill the blank space in those artboxes. I now just pretty much take the side of caution and don't buy things by single volume anymore. The only exceptions being Claymore and Moribito.

Quote:
My fear is Bandai. This company scares me, but I can't put my finger on why. They're just too quiet. Reminds me of a clear day before the thunderstorm producing damaging tornadoes blows through town.

I'm going to have to agree that something is up with them the way they keep delaying titles. I want Code Geass: R2, Gundam 00, and Kurokami from them still. Crying or Very sad
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm going to have to agree that something is up with them the way they keep delaying titles. I want Code Geass: R2, Gundam 00, and Kurokami from them still. Crying or Very sad

That's only because Bandai is making sure not to release anymore glitched DVDs so they're having delays whenever they spot one, which works for me as I'd rather wait and have a perfectly-working DVD. Not much to fear about that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well, at least they developed some semblance of quality control now. Crying or Very sad
seven_day7sm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
in my country,on any street market i can buy a complete set of an anime for appx. 8$, so i dont think that anime is too expensive.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
It's getting alot better. You've got anime on Hulu and other places for free. Funimation does some free simulcasts. Crunchyroll charge $6 a month and gives you 15 currently airing shows with day and date distribution and they have an archive of over 50 shows. I was browsing through it and there is actually ALOT of stuff that I like and have seen in there.

Anime is starting to become very affordable. You can pay nothing and legally have access to ALOT of content. Some of it archives, sometimes you wait a week and sometimes it's the same day.

I'm starting to wonder why I buy DVDs. I guess I like to own stuff but it's getting to a point where I buy DVDs and never even take them out the shrinkwrap. When I want to watch my Naruto boxes, I can go on Crunchyroll and do a DVD quality stream in like 5 seconds. Compare that to popping in a DVD and sitting through like 3 minutes of unskippable commercials.

This whole video on demand thing is perfect for people like me. I've got the internet so that's no worry. I can plug my laptop into my HDTV with only one $5 HDMI cable so i'm not limited to only watching it on my computer. If I want to watch something at a friends house, they've all got the internet so all I have to do is login and we're good to go. For me and the particular shows that I watch, it's getting really cheap. Cheaper and easier to access.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Key wrote:
Um, they clearly aren't making much of one, or Geneon and CPM would still be active, ADV wouldn't have had the troubles they did, etc.

Given the research I've done on distributors, these companies had troubles at their own doing.

Geneon's demise came from them trying to box trinkets with their full price offerings, being undercut by competitors.

CPM seemed only to pick up titles they thought would be popular. Limit supply is death in a fickle market. There are rumors internal management decisions also played a huge factor in their demise.

As for ADV, I'm clearly not understanding their situation if financially unstable. Given its title base, prices, and distribution methods (most of which requires a monthly service fee), the only thing I can fathom is internal management is at fault. ADV's problems have been years in the making, though, and even Sentai Filmworks isn't helping.

I don't consider anime expensive, but at the same time, I don't buy new releases either. Much like my video games, I let those who can't wait contribute to the profit margin. As for me, a year wait and cheaper cost is what I'm all about.

Of course, there are exceptions to this. Had Clannad been dubbed, that would be in my collection even at $70. It's sequel would also be right next to it.

I'm not sure why distributors don't stop wasting time with singles and two part box sets. Just release a box set for $50 and be done with it.

The reason there are single DVD's is because they want people to see what they buy before they invest in a series.

I personally believe it was CPM's fault that they got run into the ground. They picked weak titles that they knew people weren't interested. Point in case is World of Narue. I'm not sure if they thought that would sell.

I don't think anime is that expensive. I buy mostly box sets and singles if the series is less than 13 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9