• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Linkin Park Anime Style Video and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aethyr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
I find Linkin Park to be a rather odd band, in that their music is rather distinctive (although the lyrics are generic). However, there is little uniqueness between their songs. In other words, Linkin Park is clearly different from other bands (especially those emo/whiney bands who I can't tell apart) but their individual songs all sound similar.

Linkin Park is also one of the bands that I like less the more I hear them. Unlike my favorite band, Tool, I find that Linkin Park gets more boring and repetetive with each sucessive listening, and coupled with the fact that they are massive overplayed, they quickly become rather boring.

This is the major distinction I find between them and say, Tool, who are more interesting and enjoyable with each sucessive listening. Of course, the amount of symbolism and metaphores in Tool's music (especially the Lateralus album) makes it interesting to listen to, because you can decode the meaning of the song as you listen. I've found that bands like Tool and to a lesser extent A Perfect Circle (Maynard is the lead singer for both, and thusly carries some of that symbolism over to APC's music) with their deeper lyrics make better songs to listen to repeatedly. I've even had discussions about the meaning and symbolism in Tool's music. Linkin Park on the other hand, while good when stressed out, lends little to think about.

Linkin Park is by no means a bad band in my opinion, they just get boring rather quickly.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Kardea wrote:
At least they write their own freaking music.

Frank Sinatra didn't write any of his music, does that mean that his music is on a lower artistic level than Linkin Park? I don't care who writes the music as long as it's good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sarcasm397

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Frank Sinatra didn't write any of his music, does that mean that his music is on a lower artistic level than Linkin Park? I don't care who writes the music as long as it's good.

Quite true, quite true. That's basically my thoughts on it.

Personally, I don't especially like Linkin Park. They sound too weird for my tastes.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I personally do not like bands that scream. I hate screamers\screamos bands. That is my main qualm with Linkin Park, as well as the overuse of angst. I find screaming as something that is distracting from the music.

Screaming is not an artform, or part of art, so why use it in your songs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can't say that 'screaming' is not an artform... art is open to be anything. So if it does not suit your personal tastes, here's the simplest solution: don't listen to it (nor complain about it for that matter, but you're free to do what you want Anime smile). Personally, I find that screaming in angsty music adds some extra depth to it, but if it's too much, I kinda tune out Anime smile + sweatdrop

Ho hum... anyone notice that we're drifting from the original topic? We're not focusing on the video/manga anymore... Confused
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Saw the video, (finally) didn't really care for the animation nor the song, but it's a start. Wink call me purest, but i prefer to see the anime styles that i am so acustomed to; No sketchy artwork,not too much digimation and especially no Peter Chung crap. (IMNSHO he doesn't make the cut when it comes to Anime.)

There are videos from rock bands that are better suited for Anime than Linkin Park. but to their credit at least they are more talented than say..Limp Biskit. Fred(Durst) is nothing short of a hack and a wannabee playa. (No Halle Berry or Angelina Jolle for you son.)

Sowwies if i'm OT here. Anime smile + sweatdrop
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kal wrote:

Ho hum... anyone notice that we're drifting from the original topic? We're not focusing on the video/manga anymore... :?

That's probably because myself, and many others I'm sure, are more picky and snobbish about our tastes in music than anime.

Personally I've got nothing against whining and screaming in music; it's just that, say, Morrissey can both write his own songs AND carry a tune while Linkin Park can do neither.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
It's OT, but half the bands out there now dont write their own music. I tend to like the older music, because you know they wrote it.

And i saw the music video. It's alright, the animation is sorta cool. Nothing great. I have some of their cds. I like them, not my favorite but dont mind them.

I'm more into punk and metal. But then again i dont mind any music inless its country or too poppy or rap. Though some rap is ok. I just dont like it as much.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I love linkin park. they have a little rap in it and I think thats cool. I don't like heavy metal but I do like some punk rock. I love jazz, reagee , but I adore hip hop meaning R&B and rap.
Anyway, The video was okay but I think it should have been better. But that's just me Wink
considerme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I think Linkin Park is trying too hard I mean it's enough that all of therei songs a very similar now they have to drag a well distiguised art form of anime into their videos. Linkin Park is not a good bad, and they shouldn't try too distract people with their videos to hide the similarities in their songs.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
considerme wrote:
Well I think Linkin Park is trying too hard I mean it's enough that all of therei songs a very similar now they have to drag a well distiguised art form of anime into their videos. Linkin Park is not a good bad, and they shouldn't try too distract people with their videos to hide the similarities in their songs.

(love it when these topics resurface)

Your grammar killed me. What? =/

From what I got, you say that they're using the music videos to distract people from the similarities in their songs. I don't really think so, as I think they just like anime, and found it cool to use it in a music video because they could.

And lemme beat someone to it, but Welcome to the Fourms! =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
considerme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Excuse my typing. At that time I was not really paying attention.
considerme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh and thank you very much for your kind welcome! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7