• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Teaches about Jury Duty with School Romance Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
keepergirl wrote:
Please keep in mind that for many people, it's not just a day or three. I was called to serve on a grand jury, which meant I served for an entire month.

I agree that's a far more substantial sacrifice and there are some trials that can last multiple months and cause all kinds of problems for average jurists. Point taken.

ZiharkXVI wrote:
They'd have to pay more than a stupid fine if they're found guilty of firing workers for serving on a jury.

At the local jury duty waiting room where I live they have clippings from newspapers when companies were charged with punishing employees who accepted jury duty, including companies I've worked with. I guess it's kind of an odd thing to have around but it helps pass the time when you're waiting for your name to be called. When the problem is endemic and several people have been fired in succession then they're going to have a strong case, but if it's just one worker claiming they were treated unfairly then it's much harder to actually prove. Such cases are difficult to win unless the employer voluntarily admits that's why the employee was let go. Texas is an at-will employment state that allows employers to terminate you "for any reason or no reason at all." It's true that there are some protections for jurists, but according to the newspaper clippings it can be hard to prove that jury duty was the primary cause of any trouble.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you're a blue collar worker, jury duty hurts you a lot.

Says the person who's never actually served?

Laughing

I would think that with jury duty being put into place it makes it a bit easier on the judge. But I definitely think that Japan's system will be interesting to follow , provided that they haven't had any of it for 60 years.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I need to watch more Harvey Birdman to get all this.
Laughing That's just what popped into my head when I seen this report, and it's for real. Kids on a jury, what a unique way of bonking class. Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
"The anime uses a high school boy's one-sided infatuation for a classmate as an unusual segue to discuss the jury system."

You see, when a boy and a girl love one another and they want to have a baby, the boy must adjust his penal system to avoid mistrial. The girl is admitted to counter-suit upon proper allegations...

Definitely my top selection on how they pull it off, but is there anyone with the linguistic skills who can provide an update based on the links as to what this curious plot linkage actually is?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
You mean...they HAVEN'T been using jury trials? What kind of trials DO they use?

Sorry, I don't know much about the court system in the U.S. or Japan (other than the twisted fiction I got from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Before that, I didn't even know what "prosecute" meant...") I didn't know there were other types of trials. Anime hyper I did think it was a little weird that all the people in the crowd in the courtroom, when I'm playing PW:AA, didn't ever do any jury stuff.

(What? No special guest appearances by Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth?

Fail.)

Indeed.

~ An Ignorant Child
vedicardi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder what fansub group is gonna do this -A-

The jury is behind the judge? Hm
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm suspecting that the girl will probably be interested about Jury Duty, and then the boy begins to strike up a conversation about it. Then they talk all about it until it ends, where they'll resolve the romance part in some way.

That's what I think will happen. This is just like those live-action videos Disney sells to inform people, except in anime form. Like in fifth grade, when we were touching upon the subject of puberty. 8th grade will be much more "in-depth" for us....
vedicardi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Haha it's wayyyy too short for that

and the computer lab they are in looks like the ones I've seen in north korea -A-
kyoukix

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
You mean...they HAVEN'T been using jury trials? What kind of trials DO they use?

I didn't know there were other types of trials. Anime hyper

In fact, they are. In most of Latin America & México there are no “jury duty” If the State accuses you of some felony, you have the right to get a lawyer. The state use a prosecutor to prove its charges and the Judge decides in favor of one part or the other. If the dispute is between two particulars (ie: a dispute about a bussiness), each one haves is lawyer and is up to the judge to decide. Obviously, you can appeal the verdict and there are some other legal mechanism to help the accused (like the “juicio de amparo” in México). I’m not a lawyer, and my English is not the best, but overall that’s how things work here. I guess Japan's legal system works in the same way (until the reform, at least).

I think most of Japanese citizens reject jury duty because they fear retaliation from convicted felons family or gang (if mafia is involved in the case). That’s one of the reasons why “jury duty” will not be implemented in countries like Mexico, because NOBODY in a court will declare “guilty” someone as powerful, rich or revengeful as a druglord.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2