• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox in Talks for Live-Action Japanese Paradise Kiss Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
They did Dragon Ball Evolution...
I wonder if they'll keep the end. A lot of things change around when they live action sometimes and endings get changed a lot (not that I'd mind a lot) like when they did Absolute Boyfriend
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
*rams head into wall*

WHY... IS IT ALWAYS... FOX?!?!?!

Let's not forget how Warner Brothers did with Speed Racer. :lol:

Or how Fox completely ruined Dragon Ball either. Granted Warner Brothers adaptation of Speed Racer was horriable as well, it wasn't nearly as bad as Dragon Ball.

Up next: When They Cry Higarashi live action movie.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

There is already a Higurashi live action movie: Trailer

I've never seen it because I didn't care for the anime and this movie was directed by Ataru Oikawa, the same director of the average Apartmen 1303.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

There is already a Higurashi live action movie: Trailer

I've never seen it because I didn't care for the anime and this movie was directed by Ataru Oikawa, the same director of the average Apartmen 1303.

Wow, I did not know that. Definitely something my friend who really enjoyed Higurashi would enjoy. I personally don't like horror, but I can actually see this movie being semi-decent if Fox doesn't get this.
Senna

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see Fox take an interest in ParaKiss. Of course, I don't know that much about how previous anime/manga to live-action movies have been produced, so maybe this is nothing new.

Since it seems to be marketed for Japan (and have Japanese companies on board), I'm not too worried about big changes; I just hope they carry through the fashion aspect well (as in, lots of gorgeous outfits). There are plenty of adaptations out there both good and bad (loved the first Nana movie, disliked the Honey & Clover movie), so I hope this is the former.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
YAY!!! ParaKiss pwns.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
1. Please, no more Speed Racer stuff. x_x

2. Everyone is crying out "don't ruin it, FOX," but this is FOX INTERNATIONAL. It's going to be mostly ASIAN. So, I had a really horrible comment in my first post, but technically, this isn't the USA Fox which had provided DBE, there really is no point to get knickers in a twist. The companies that you know mainly in the US do have international companies as well.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
yay im so happy
poonk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Since I haven't read the manga and thought the anime was just okay (though I felt the ending was sorta meh), I'll be a lot more (potentially) interested in this film when I find out who they're going to cast. That'll probably be the make-or-break for me, personally.

Joichiro Nishi wrote:
I'm 100% sure that George won't be bisexual anymore.
I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not saying it's totally impossible they'd alter the character, but Asian films & dramas do seem to be opening up to the idea of gay & bisexual characters (outside the yaoi/yuri niches), especially if there's a built-in fanbase for a title (see last year's wonderfully fun Korean Antique Bakery adaptation, not to mention No Regret, The King and the Clown, La Maison de Himiko; and the dramas Dare Yori mo Mama wo Aisu & Love Shuffle, come to mind from the last few years). Besides, wouldn't a lot of fans be p*ssed if they changed the character so much?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely. I think I'll cringe if they randomly cast Matsujun as George, whereas if they pick Narimiya Hiroki, I will celebrate.

*random*

If you liked No Regret and The King and the Clown then I think you'll enjoy the Taiwanese film Eternal Summer, which was licensed here in the states. If you haven't seen it then please do give it a shot. ^_~
poonk

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Umai_Mouri wrote:
Absolutely. I think I'll cringe if they randomly cast Matsujun as George, whereas if they pick Narimiya Hiroki, I will celebrate.
Although, as I said, I'm not particularly a fan of the source material and probably don't feel as strongly as actual fans would, I was sort of thinking Matsuda Shota; that, however, may be in (large) part because I'm in under the influence of Love Shuffle right now. Wink Regardless, I agree: MatsuJun wouldn't be the best pick; in fact, I can't think of any Johnnys that I think could pull it off (don't get me wrong, I like a lot of them in various dramas/movies but I don't know if they can portray a George-like character very convincingly).

Quote:
*random*

If you liked No Regret and The King and the Clown then I think you'll enjoy the Taiwanese film Eternal Summer, which was licensed here in the states. If you haven't seen it then please do give it a shot. ^_~
Yep, I've actually seen that (and the end left me spoiler[unsure if it was a happy ending... or not?]), it just slipped my mind. I would've listed Formula 17 (also Taiwanese) too, but that wasn't a very serious or nuanced story (but still, it's a lot of fun and I never get bored no matter how many times I re-watch it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
...I was sort of thinking Matsuda Shota; that, however, may be in (large) part because I'm in under the influence of Love Shuffle right now. Wink Regardless, I agree: MatsuJun wouldn't be the best pick; in fact, I can't think of any Johnnys that I think could pull it off (don't get me wrong, I like a lot of them in various dramas/movies but I don't know if they can portray a George-like character very convincingly).

Matsuda Shota. <3 The character he plays in Love Shuffle is so interesting. Very pimp-ish. I've only seen the first three episodes and by that third episode I was sent to fangirl heaven after seeing Tamaki Hiroshi's dorky character and Matsuda's character lip-locking randomly. Panda~ I have to continue watching once finals are over. Ok, let me get back on topic. I know Matsuda has the ability to pull it off and I can see him as George, but I just have my heart sent on Hiroki. I can't think of any Johnny's either. lol I can see someone playing Hiro, but that's about it.

Quote:
Yep, I've actually seen that (and the end left me spoiler[unsure if it was a happy ending... or not?]), it just slipped my mind. I would've listed Formula 17 (also Taiwanese) too, but that wasn't a very serious or nuanced story (but still, it's a lot of fun and I never get bored no matter how many times I re-watch it).

It's all good. spoiler[It's a happy ending. =D Since the movie was based off a novel, I read translations of the chapters preceding the final scenes and the two do get together even though it's so ambiguous in the film. ] But I heard it gets really, really depressing and bittersweet later on. Of course~

Formula 17 was not serious at all and, I agree, it is an awesome watch every single time. The lead actor from Formula 17 made an appearance in another film called Go Go G-boys, but I didn't enjoy that one as much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3