• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it worth getting back into Eva?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen anything of Eva since End of Evangelion first came out back in... 2002?

I saw the original series on the old DVD box set (which is still the only version I have) and thought it was impressively deep but also overrated.

Out everything I've seen I actually still prefer the original episode 25 & 26 ending to all others. It felt like the most conclusive to me since it's the only one where spoiler[Shinji actually mans up and learns to get over himself].

The only thing I know about Eva now is that the ending has been revised at least one more time since Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion, that the series has been remastered, and that it's currently being condensed into three movies.

What does all this new stuff do for Eva? Does it expand on the content I've already seen? Do these new endings offer more in terms of what actually happens? Do the movies mediate a lot of the craziness that went on during the original series?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
If you are asking if you should Eva (pun intended) get back in Evangelion, it's actually subject to the individual. I saw a fansub of the first Evangelion movie and just didn't seem that cool to me. Anno got death threats about the famous acid-induced TV ending and releases the movies that are said to be the "true ending". He decides he's not happy with that ending so he decides to reboot/retell/remake the series with 4 movies. But why wait a decade for the first new movie? Personally, me getting back to Evangelion may be such a bad idea. But if you see the movie, you are essentially seeing recycled animation with new stuff. So, it's up to you if you want to revisit an anime that is noted for being a mind game.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the problem is. I mean, if you really liked the original series, then you'll probably like the reboot. So, in that case, you should probably watch it.

If, however, you felt so-so (or worse) about the series, and particularly if you didn't like EoE, then you'd probably be better off waiting until the whole reboot is done. After that, you could check out the comments here and in other places and decide if you want to watch it.

That would be the logical way to go about it. But frankly, if you're interested in it at all, and if you liked it, then why not watch it? At the very least, if you haven't seen it for a long time, it'll feel somewhat new again. Of course, if you hated the series, then I guess you wouldn't even be wasting your time asking about whether or not you should watch it.

I think you should "get back into Eva". But that's me.
[ARX7]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
In the series, the ending is focused to Shinji's reality (if that's the word for that) and everything ends resolved without the use of Eva's.

In the movie EoE (End of Evangelion) it focused on the alternate ending which closed the open-ended parts of the tv series. See spoiler.
spoiler[(Adam didn't get any role to play .. just a big lump of flesh crucified and locked up in NERV LOL)]

another open-ended part is..

spoiler[Gendou Ikari's (his first name is gendou right? I'm lazy to use google lol) motive for making rei and what the scenario he and his 'friends' are talking about)]

I haven't seen the synopsis or trailer yet for the incoming movie 2.0 so if that's a continuation of EoE (since 1.0 is just something of a summary of the series afaik .. with some added chars and scenes) it's probably worth the time to watch it (if you're looking forward to what happens next that is).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
[ARX7] wrote:
In the movie EoE (End of Evangelion) it focused on the alternate ending which closed the open-ended parts of the tv series. See spoiler.

spoiler[(Adam didn't get any role to play .. just a big lump of flesh crucified and locked up in NERV LOL)]

Actually, if you're referring to the thing that was in Terminal Dogma, that was spoiler[Lilith, not Adam. Adam was dormant in Gendo's hand. When he reached "into" Rei, he was trying to rejoin Lilith and Adam, but Rei rejected him.]

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it comes down to this: If you liked the original series, you probably will like the movies. I suggest that if its not bugging you too much, wait for the first 2 movies to be released on DVD. Watch them, and if you don't like what you see, dont waste your time with the last 2 movies. But if you do like them, well thats cool too. You can read reviews of both films to see if they're worthy enough of your time, or if youd rather watch something else. But I would recommend it. Eva was one of the first series I got into. I saw the Evangelion series when it was airing uncensored on TV (yeah, that's why its awesome to live in the San Fransisco bay area. Our PBS rocks! Razz ). It was one of the first series that I bought on DVD. So I have a special place in my anime lovin heart for Eva. Id watch whatever Eva related dribble comes down the pipes.

I've noticed that its popular to make movies based on series (although waiting 10 years is a bit much). There's the Raxephon movie, Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop films, FMA movie, numerous Inuyasha and One Piece films, plus the upcoming Eureka 7 and Trigun films (hey, theres another property that waited 10 years Shocked ). So I think its kind of unfair when I hear people blast the new Eva movies. They're not the only franchise to milk the cash cow. Although if Anno is gonna remake a series, I would rather him give Kare Kano the remake/ending it deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
If you do decide to watch the TV series again, the remastered "Platinum" release is very recommendable. It's got improved video, 5.1 English and Japanese audio, and some revisions to the subtitles (and to a lesser extent, the English dub) to provide more detail and greater understanding. Plus some good extras, depending on what version you get. And it's been re-released several times, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Oddly enough, I find myself wanting to get my hands on the old DVDs again, just to hear the French and Spanish tracks.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=84182

Theres already a thread where you can ask these questions. I humbly suggest this one is moved. Saves clogging up the front page with double threads. This one is already going to turn into one of 'those' discussions from what I see. Very Happy

Dean
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Out everything I've seen I actually still prefer the original episode 25 & 26 ending to all others. It felt like the most conclusive to me since it's the only one where spoiler[Shinji actually mans up and learns to get over himself].

spoiler[Shinji also "mans up" in EoE, as well. Taking the first step to overcome clinical depression doesn't give immediate results.]

Quote:
The only thing I know about Eva now is that the ending has been revised at least one more time since Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion, that the series has been remastered, and that it's currently being condensed into three movies.

None of the endings have ever been changed, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

As for the remakes, it's too early as only the first of three movies have been released, and it's primarily a straight-adaption of the first six episodes. The second movie promises to show a lot more deviations, with the third supposedly being entirely new content.

As for whether it's worth viewing or not: well, that's up to you. It's interesting to see a non-depressed Anno revisit the material, I guess, even if a bit disappointing that he's not remaking Nadia or Kare Kano.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Anno got death threats about the famous acid-induced TV ending...

Uh, no. There is only one death threat amidst a flurry of other comments (much of them praise), and all of them are in regards to Death and Rebirth, not the ending of the television series.

Quote:
But if you see the movie, you are essentially seeing recycled animation with new stuff.

Storyboards =/= Animation
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Re Recycling, they definitely recreate a lot of shots from the series, but the visual quality is high enough that I don't believe these could be directly taken from the TV series, even from the original celuloid.

Should you get back into Eva? It sounds like you have a lot of the standard doubts about the show, and the big question is whether Anno sans depression and TV pressure will produce something that is more integrated and less pretentious - and whether he'll fix that ending. No-one can answer that question yet. I was dragged to see the first rebuild, and was definitely impressed - where the art and story have been changed, they have definitely improved. I felt that Shinji and Rei were more rounded as characters, which bodes well for the future. However, historically, Anno's problem has always been one of consistency, so I will wait until the film series is complete before thinking about buying the set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1