• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has this ever happened to you (streaming question)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's happened to me twice: once with School Days and once with Eve no Jikan.

So what happened, you ask impatiently?

Sometimes I don't pay real close attention to things. So when I decided to watch School Days on Crunchyroll, I selected the episode that was at the very top of the list. However, Crunchyroll always lists the latest episode first and the first episode at the bottom of the list of eppies.

So anyway, I watch the ENTIRE episode 6 of School Days under the assumption it is actually the first episode of the series. The really embarrassing part? I didn't figure that out until I went to watch the next episode and discovered my mistake.

Yep, in other words, I watched an entire episode from the middle of the series without having ANY clue i wasn't watching the first episode. You can argue that is because I'm particularly dense, but I think it has to do with the nature of anime itself.

Due to the sometimes non-linear, non-conventional story-telling techniques used in some anime, it is not always clear when you are literally jumping in the middle of something. It is amazing how much stuff you can "fill in" on your own.

And I did the same thing with Eve no Jikan. Watched the 4th episode thinking it was the first and didn't realize it until it was all over.

No, I'm not blonde actually, why do you ask?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Not on the episode level, but for a series level. I saw Lyrical Nanoha A's first. I sat scratching my head wondering what Fate did to deserve her probation. I bought both sets to fix this bewilderment.

I also did this on DVD. Some series don't label "Disc 1", etc. I've come to realize box sets put them in order from right to left. I guess the distributors wanted to keep it more Japanese style.
Smile
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I also did this on DVD. Some series don't label "Disc 1", etc. I've come to realize box sets put them in order from right to left. I guess the distributors wanted to keep it more Japanese style.
Smile

Confused what region are you? None of my anime boxsets were ordered right-left, same with my non-anime boxsets, everything was ordered left-right upon purchasing. And taking a quick look, they are all numbered accordingly.

As for the question at hand; I specifically make sure I read what episode it is I'm about to click on before I click it. The only time I accidentally watched ahead was when I was using a DVD player that (for some unknown reason) liked to instantly play my discs on the 3rd or 4th episode instead of the beginning of the disc runtime or the menu screen. Both times I felt a sense of being lost, so then I hit the menu button and started over and thus figured out what happened.
That blasted thing almost ruined the ending of Noir for me by instantly playing the VA interviews on the last DVD while I was making myself a sandwich. Luckily I stopped it before they got into the big spoilers, I would've destroyed that thing on the spot if it did ruin it for me Mad .
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I always check which episode I'm watching, whether it be on a DVD or on a download. If I'm unsure where I left off, I recheck with MAL.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Does thinking episode 8 of Cardcaptors is episode 1 of Card Captor Sakura count? Smile

I don't think I've ever accidentally watched a later episode when trying to watch episode 1; though when watching on telly, you don't always get much choice...
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Since I hadn't seen it before, I decided to head over to Hulu to watch death note. They put the episodes from beginning to end. So the "first" episode listed was Season 1 Episode 37 (I miss read this part and thought it was Episode 1). Yeah. The very first episode I saw, not knowing a thing about Death note, was the last episode. I stopped half way, and finally i figured it out. Stupid hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Confused what region are you? None of my anime boxsets were ordered right-left, same with my non-anime boxsets, everything was ordered left-right upon purchasing. And taking a quick look, they are all numbered accordingly.

Region 1 (US). Most are numbered on the binder of the case, but not all (DVDs are also usually numbered. I was trying to find a series for example, but gave up after looking at 3). I just reviewed my boxes and I see my own confusion.

When I pull them out, the last case is on top, and #1 is on the bottom. Heh. I guess it depends how the cases are "dumped". I'm left handed, so this makes sense now.
Razz
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've had a similar experience once. I was watching Code Geass (season 1) on Adult Swim. One Saturday I had the misfortune of missing the new episode (the last one). So to watch it I went to some random fan sub streaming site and clicked on the final episode. Unfortunately I was not informed that this was the last episode of R2. Luckily I quickly noticed that things weren't quite right and realized my mistake. On the plus side, I only saw about 10-20 seconds of actual episode and I don't even remember what happened in it (I think I'm repressing the memories so nothings spoiled for me). So I guess nothing awful came from this.

Moral of the story; make sure you know what your clicking on before something awful happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Not on the episode level, but for a series level. I saw Lyrical Nanoha A's first. I sat scratching my head wondering what Fate did to deserve her probation. I bought both sets to fix this bewilderment.

I did something similar once, though I noticed it pretty soon. I started watching the first episode of The Tower of Druaga: The Sword of Uruk on crunchyroll without realizing that it was the second series, preceeded by The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk. I noticed numerous references to past events in the first episode of The Sword of Uruk, but I knew the series was based on a video game, and so I at first assumed the references were to what happened during the video game. At some point during the flashbacks I got suspicious that I had made a mistake, though, and checked ANN and found out my error.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Back in the VHS days, I bought a Trigun tape that, according to the back, was episodes 1, 2 and 3. I suspected, but think it was honestly years later when I fully realized the tape was mislabeled and contained episodes 4,5, and 6.

To this day, my brain has not fully adjusted- I still think the infamous 'love and peace' bit was episode 1. Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
I watched the Clannad movie on Crunchyroll, and it was divided into 2 parts. I streamed both parts at the same time, and when both parts were fully loaded (at around 1 AM Anime hyper), I started watching. I didn't realize I watched the second part first until I saw the end credits. It totally ruined the movie for me Anime hyper
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

Region 1 (US). Most are numbered on the binder of the case, but not all (DVDs are also usually numbered. I was trying to find a series for example, but gave up after looking at 3). I just reviewed my boxes and I see my own confusion.

When I pull them out, the last case is on top, and #1 is on the bottom. Heh. I guess it depends how the cases are "dumped". I'm left handed, so this makes sense now.
Razz

I have had boxsets where the DVDs were put in backwards like that. The two Geneon X TV sets, the Hellsing set, and the Serial Experiments Lain Set.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
This has happened to me with manga, because of bad amazon listings, but not actually with streaming anime.
Although I was pretty close several times, but somewhat could avoid it. I might add that it was with School Days, as well Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1