• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Murders She Wrote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I SO wanna be in that room. Looks so cool > _ < I want the Pani Poni Dash! box set!!!!! Oh so badly!!!!! I need money T _ T
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reviews as always Bamboo.
I see we finally have a winner that reached the perishable pinnacle this week. Didn't have any last week. Knew one had to show up sooner or later right? But hey, least it's only a re-release, and not something new.

Some great shelves this week too, very impressive. Smile
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Murder Princess was fun so long as you didn't actually care about the plot. That unfortunately did make it somewhat less enjoyable as it progressed, due to the twists they throw in to try to make it interesting, but if you're looking for the simple pleasure of a girl in a dress killing stuff, it's not too bad. Plus, you get to make fun of the awkward lesbian undertones.

It's a shame that this PPD doesn't have the vid notes. I've got to hurry and find the last three discs from ADV then (I got the first three for free from a friend because he found the box for cheaper than the buying the last three discs individually).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
"And then his bad-assery eventually take over" that line had me cracking up so much. I really want to see Darker than Black actually, I've heard some decent things here and from friends about it.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
I'm jealous of the room but he's missing one thing:
I don't see a Wii anywhere.

*buries head in hands* It's OK to not have a Wii, for cripes sake!

Sorry, personal issue there. Every gaming conversation I ever have:
"What system do you have?"
"Actually, I've got 9- 14 if handhelds count."
"Whoa!"
(wait for it)
"Do you have a Wii?"
"....no."
"Oh."

I mean seriously, the nine (nine!) already here aren't good enough?! When Wii has games I care about, I'll buy one, OK? Sheesh!

Ok, thanks for letting me get that out...
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
Any word on if you guys will review Nanoha A's? That show needs some love. Smile

Bamboo already did, two weeks ago.

I saw that when it came out, but I meant like a full fledged review, not just three paragraphs and some Cliff Notes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The shelf image with Enki, Asuka, and Rei looking like they're out for a stroll is pretty awesome. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I would give many, many things to have a room like that in my pad someday. Very impressive. Smile
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash is really awesome series...it's so crazy and any anime fan will have a riot watching that show....

i do wish Funimation did include some linear notes or try to have the vid notes from ADV...

that show has soooo many background gags that i still find few here and there...it's really a funny show with great dubbing by Hilary Haag on Becky...plus all the voices fit the characters and the gag is even funnier when the actors really get into the role...

i'm glad i still have my copy from good ol' ADV days...

p.s. i was one of the winner on Pani Poni contest and have signed copy of Vol #6 by Hilary Haag...that DVD's one of my most valuable item in my collection...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Thanks for the reviews as always Bamboo.
I see we finally have a winner that reached the perishable pinnacle this week. Didn't have any last week. Knew one had to show up sooner or later right? But hey, least it's only a re-release, and not something new.

Some great shelves this week too, very impressive. Smile
Murder Princess is new; ADV never released it before the license got transferred. In fact, nobody even knew that ADV had it in the first place, until the Sojitz/Funimation deal went public.

For PaniPoni Dash, I have to echo Bamboo's dismay about the Vid-Notes and other extras not making it onto the current release. I highly recommend getting the ADV single DVDs, even if they are slightly more expensive than the Funi set under the current TRSI sale. That's still less than what I paid for them as they were coming out.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Another voice for tracking down the singles for Pani Poni Dash.
Some of the best extras from any series I own.
(if you like English dub actress interviews, multiple versions of Yellow Vacation opener sung by different Japanese actresses, every closer in this series had some unique animation, and all of them get the textless treatment, and Oh yeah, Vid notes, which really explain a ton). It was the first series I completed by buying singles, and remains my favorite comedy.

Hmm, I blind bought Murder Princess from the latest sale, I will buy just about anything under $20, oh well.

The second season of School Rumble is in my rental queue, and I will be purchasing it, I loved the first season.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/28488/s7.jpg

Anybody else notice Enki pimping Rei and Asuka? BEST THING EVAR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Murder Princess is new; ADV never released it before the license got transferred. In fact, nobody even knew that ADV had it in the first place, until the Sojitz/Funimation deal went public.

Thanks for the correction. Wasn't sure if i had just missed a "previous" release of the series or not. Hadn't heard of it until today, so glad it wasn't something I had missed. Given the review, I wouldn't have missed anything anyways it seems. Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

It's a shame that this PPD doesn't have the vid notes. I've got to hurry and find the last three discs from ADV then (I got the first three for free from a friend because he found the box for cheaper than the buying the last three discs individually).

RightStuf has them for $6 a piece.

For anyone who needs the whole series, as Zalis mentioned, you can get a bundle with all the discs and the box, for $49.99. But its actually cheaper to buy the individual discs rather than the bundle. If you get the box, it comes out to only $40. $36 if you don't want the box.

I highly recommend the ADV singles for anyone looking to get this series. The ADVid Notes are the biggest reason, but the series has a lot of nice extras in general, including amusing inserts (the ADV of old was really good with those) and other on-disc extras. Those on-disc extras are particularly good for dub fans, as they had a number of extras with the English VAs.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Pretty room ... a little too neat & tidy though. Condolences on the shelf headroom, but I guess not really an issue yet if using filler. Kinda curious where pic #4 is located, as it doesn't seem to match with any of the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4