• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I really HATE when companies split a series into 2 parts.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, other than a blatant cash grab, what is the point of splitting a 24, 25 or 26 episode season into 2 parts? Hey, why not just slap a "Bend Over and Take It Suckers!" sticker on the front?

I truly am thinking of just saying "screw you" to any d-bag distributors that continue to do this and simply stream the complete series for free.
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely hate this too.

I understand the case with Blood+ but for most other series it's just stupid.

Singles or Boxset. None of this half stuff.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
You're right, two is horrible. Now six or seven parts, THAT'S the way it should be!

--------------------------------

I don't see the big deal. You're right, it is a cash grab, and rightfully so. They need to make money off of these shows and if 13 episode volumes make them more money than a single box set then more power to them. Either way you're paying considerably less than if you were to buy 6 or 7 individual volumes at $20-$30 each. This is a GOOD THING! God, there's just no pleasing some people. They complain about having to buy so many volumes because they take up too much space, then they complain that two volumes is too many! I'm also sick of complaints that these sets take too long to release. Did it ever occur to you that it's faster to release half volumes than complete box sets?

There are times when I just can't stand the fandom. Rolling Eyes

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Two parts? I don't think that's too bad compared to the single volume 4 episode DVDs they sell for 30 bucks at release, when the box set eventually ends up being like 80 bucks or less for 26 episodes. That's just mean.

edit: well I got beaten to that haha
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
You're right, two is horrible. Now six or seven parts, THAT'S the way it should be!

I don't see the big deal. You're right, it is a cash grab, and rightfully so. They need to make money off of these shows and if 13 episode volumes make them more money than a single box set then more power to them. Either way you're paying considerably less than if you were to buy 6 or 7 individual volumes at $20-$30 each.

Emerje

I would have to agree with this. I look at this option as the evolution of the single volume releases. Granted I personally like complete season boxsets but to get halfseaon sets isn't so bad. Saves the wait you would get if you wanted to wait for full season releases. The price for the full seaons released in 2 half seaon sets isn't very high when compared to both single releases and full season boxsets.

I can live with it and do.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
bucklemyshoe wrote:
I absolutely hate this too.

I understand the case with Blood+ but for most other series it's just stupid.

Singles or Boxset. None of this half stuff.

In my view, it goes Complete >>>>>>>>>>>> half sets >> singles. They all have their ups and downs though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
You know, singles is a lot more expensive than when you're buying half the season or even the full season. I don't see the what the big deal is here. And it's why recently I've been resorting to things such as even thinpaks, unless the deals on singles are beyond belief.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You know, singles is a lot more expensive than when you're buying half the season or even the full season. I don't see the what the big deal is here. And it's why recently I've been resorting to things such as even thinpaks, unless the deals on singles are beyond belief.

And the extras that singles give usually don't end up being all that amazing. Mostly trailers for other shows or possibly some interview, nothing amazing or worth spending the extra cash/time on.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I don't see the big deal. You're right, it is a cash grab, and rightfully so. They need to make money off of these shows and if 13 episode volumes make them more money than a single box set then more power to them. Either way you're paying considerably less than if you were to buy 6 or 7 individual volumes at $20-$30 each. This is a GOOD THING! God, there's just no pleasing some people. They complain about having to buy so many volumes because they take up too much space, then they complain that two volumes is too many! I'm also sick of complaints that these sets take too long to release. Did it ever occur to you that it's faster to release half volumes than complete box sets?

There are times when I just can't stand the fandom. Rolling Eyes

Emerje

Yeah I agree with this, the only thing I'm really missing from the single releases are the extras but the complete box sets also lack them too so it's no biggie really but it would be nice to get some of the "nicer" extras back. So this complaint from the OP gets a ???? from me.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And the extras that singles give usually don't end up being all that amazing. Mostly trailers for other shows or possibly some interview, nothing amazing or worth spending the extra cash/time on.

Exactly. I've never been one to buy anything when it comes out right away, nor do I really look at trailers. There are a few rare instances where I might buy something when it comes out right away but even then I don't watch the trailers. Trailers are not what drives me to buy the DVD.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- add me to those who disagree.

I like the 1/2 season sets. At least you get to see 12/13 episodes not 4. I'm actually liking this idea that they've come up with...and I think that it's saving me money in the long run.

For example: I paid $17.99 for a volume of Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle (and that's with a Funi Sale at Right Stuff) and at the same time I got the second half of Ouran for $35.99. So, in the long run Tsubasa was more more expensive at 6 dvds totaling $107.94 vs. 2 box sets totaling $71.98. Depending on if I paid the same prices across the board.

Not to mention that the wait to see how the series ends is a lot less. With the singles, you'd have to wait a year or more to see how the series ends.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Exactly. I've never been one to buy anything when it comes out right away, nor do I really look at trailers. There are a few rare instances where I might buy something when it comes out right away but even then I don't watch the trailers. Trailers are not what drives me to buy the DVD.

While normally true, FLCL and Paranoia Agent had original director commentary that added value. And Gunslinger Girl had production commentaries.

Those are the kind of extras that add value to the disc itself beyond the anime itself.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
While normally true, FLCL and Paranoia Agent had original director commentary that added value. And Gunslinger Girl had production commentaries.

Those are the kind of extras that add value to the disc itself beyond the anime itself.

Commentaries is another thing I've never really cared about. While there are times when I do like to watch special features as to how the movie was made (LOTR, Pirates of the Carribean, Star Wars), I've never really fathomed the concept of commentaries.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If you get the chance you should watch the FLCL commentaries, unlike most of the other commentaries for TV shows, which cover only select episodes (like Paranoai Agent or Gunslinger Girl) this covers the entire series and the creator/director of the series goes into detail about how the series is made, what it's about (or at least his goals for it) among other details. So this is a more how it was made commentary then anything.

Much like the Gunslinger Girl ones, which were on the dub production side of things, going into detail about the process and what they had to do to make the dub happen.

So for me they are things that inform and add value to the experience after you have finished watching the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
I really like them personally. They're cheaper than singles and you get more content at once so it cuts down on the waiting game between volumes. I say hurray for half season sets personally.

Aside from that, right now it's best to support the industry if you want to own the series or watch the R1 anime distributors go out of business. I really don't want to see that happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13