• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach - [adult swim] broadcast.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Now, the part that I did NOT get spoiled on (or at least forgot was that Isshin was spoiler[a Captain. Don't know which squad...yet.] I'm looking forward to seeing Ichigo's reaction when he sees his dad!

Don't expect it any time soon. spoiler[Even with the Japanese manga 2 1/2 or so arcs ahead we still don't know what capacity Isshin served as a soul reaper (and not all soul reapers are part of the main 13 divisions). And Ichigo still doesn't know about his father.]

These two episodes (and the next) are one of the highlights of the series.

Unfortunately there's no Bleach next week. Fortunately they're showing G.I. Joe Resolute which is quite awesome in a bloody, violent way that G.I. Joe has never been outside of the comic books before. Everyone should take the time to watch it, it makes use of several anime voice actors including Steven Blum as Duke.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Something that came up last night- Uryu's dad said, in flashback, that he wasn't interested in being a Quincy because there's "no profit in it", yes? Was he saying there's no money in it, or does he mean that in the more general sense- there's nothing to be gained from it. Or- cue angsty backstory- does he mean you lose from it more than you could gain, indicating that he has lost something himself from being a Quincy?

Of course, that's a silly question, isn't it? We've never heard word of Uryu's mother, and given the people he hangs around with, connect the dots.
kingofaces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Something that came up last night- Uryu's dad said, in flashback, that he wasn't interested in being a Quincy because there's "no profit in it", yes? Was he saying there's no money in it, or does he mean that in the more general sense- there's nothing to be gained from it.

What I gathered from what we've seen so far in previous episodes, it seemed that he was more interested in the business world, and building a life that way. It didn't seem so much like he's talking about strictly money to me. It seems like he has a bit of a "get with the times, the age of Quincy is over, so get a job" kind of attitude. At least that's just what came to mind when I first saw this. Maybe we'll get more backstory later on in this current arc, but for now we're fairly in the dark.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Something that came up last night- Uryu's dad said, in flashback, that he wasn't interested in being a Quincy because there's "no profit in it", yes? Was he saying there's no money in it, or does he mean that in the more general sense- there's nothing to be gained from it. Or- cue angsty backstory- does he mean you lose from it more than you could gain, indicating that he has lost something himself from being a Quincy?

Semi-spoiler, but you'll get the jist of it in the next episode anyway: spoiler[Ishida's dad is being set up as the polar opposite of Ichigo's dad. Ryuken runs the local hospital and is entirely in it for the money (can't make money helping the dead). This is one of the reasons why Ishida hates his father, because he doesn't do things just to help people. On the other hand Isshin runs the local clinic and will take in anyone before he cares about money, probably often taking a loss with money being the last thing on his mind.

We never learn a thing about Ishida's mother. ]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

We never learn a thing about Ishida's mother. [/spoiler]

Emerje

You know, in the episodes with Ishida and Yoshino the Bount spoiler[there seemed to be some childhood flashbacks of Ishida's and I have always thought that Ishida connected with Yoshino because of things that had happened to his mother.

But, it looks like we won't learn about that.]
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the trouble with filler, it's hard to take things that seem meaningful as having any meaning.

Emerje
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
I liked these two episodes. It was interesting to learn that Orihime's spoiler["healing" powers aren't healing at all but perhaps a shifting of Time and Space.]

That Hiyoro (sp?) seems to be a bit of a spoiler[brat...and more powerful than Shinji - since she referred to the fact that SHE was the one to tell Shinji to recruit Ichigo.]

I'm also wondering why (and I'm sure I'll find out in later episodes) Urahara spoiler[doesn't want Ichigo to know that Isshin is (or was) a Soul Reaper.]

It will also be interesting to learn why/how Isshin spoiler[lost his spiritual pressure 20 years ago.] Not that he had any trouble kicking Grand Fisher's posterier!

Another thing that surprised me was that Karin spoiler[knew that Ichigo was a Soul Reaper. Howinthehell does she know about them?]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
That Hiyoro (sp?) seems to be a bit of a spoiler[brat...and more powerful than Shinji - since she referred to the fact that SHE was the one to tell Shinji to recruit Ichigo.]

It's not so much about spoiler[who's stronger as it is about Hiyori's personality. You get a bit more of a look into the relationship between them when the backstory for those guys gets fleshed out.]
Quote:
I'm also wondering why (and I'm sure I'll find out in later episodes) Urahara spoiler[doesn't want Ichigo to know that Isshin is (or was) a Soul Reaper.]
Wasn't it because spoiler[Isshin doesn't want it known he was a reaper, and Urahara is respecting that wish?]
Another thing that surprised me was that Karin spoiler[knew that Ichigo was a Soul Reaper. Howinthehell does she know about them?]

spoiler[Considering how incredibly crappy Ichigo is at controlling/masking his presence, it would be hard for spiritually sensitive characters not to notice.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Well, Shinigami/soul reapers are a common spiritual mythos in Japan she most likely only knows that much, otherwise she wouldn't be asking him.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Actually, if I remember correctly, Karin has some spiritual powers of her own. And she probably noticed Ichigo sneaking around, not to mention all the unusual stuff going on in the neighborhood and her own home. The other sister is oblivious because she seems to be a normal human.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Fun episodes to start a hopefully strong arc...

Umm... What exactly was Shinji Hirako doing to Hiyori Sarugaki in the scene you KNOW I'm talking about??
Was that a variation of the spoiler[kancho] ?!? Embarassed
Did something get lost in the dub translation-wise?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Fun episodes to start a hopefully strong arc...

Umm... What exactly was Shinji Hirako doing to Hiyori Sarugaki in the scene you KNOW I'm talking about??
Was that a variation of the spoiler[kancho] ?!? Embarassed
Did something get lost in the dub translation-wise?

No, nothing at all got lost. They were most definately violating each other anally. Ship away...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I just about laughed my head off when the term "goosing" showed up in that scene. Laughing
freezespell

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
So we have more Soul Reapers posing as students. I really don't agree with the decision to have Rangiku dress up as one of them. In my opinion, she would have been better suited to pose as a new teacher instead of a student based on how much older she looks and how "developed" she is. Wink I highly doubt she looks likes a teenager, don't you agree? I don't know how Tite Kubo could think that she did. Rolling Eyes She really looks like someone in her mid-to-late-20s, possibly early 30s on a bad day.

[/nitpicking rant]

I'm surprised that no one has commented on these two episodes so far this week. I guess there was nothing really comment-worthy except for the typical Orihime spoiler["I'm so weak so I have to feel sorry for myself"] routine.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
It was more of a gag than anything. Don't worry, there isn't some huge "highschool hijinks" arc coming up, I'm not even sure that they appear in school uniforms again after that. I thought it was amusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 93 of 107