• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
By the way, the pic for Tochiro is wrong. That pic is actually of Tochiro's friend Harlock. Tochiro is much uglier than that. Smile

If you or someone else has a correct pic for Tochiro, I'd very much like a link for it. This was one of the better shots that came up for him on a Google image search, so I assumed it was him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
C-1: Gohan
Just as much a hero as Goku if not more, just spent a lot less time in the afterlife than other DBZ characters. Although in DBZ, the afterlife is practically a spa vacation considering how easy you can come back from it. Given that Goku did spend quite a bit of time at the spa, Gohan had to pick up the slack even more. And Krillin is the most useful human fighter in that show and Gohan surpasses him during Namek saga, and given that Gohan is at least part Saiyan, you know he has the proper means to defend the Earth and all its inhabitants. Ah, DBZ logic! You can just ignore this, votes for Gohan.

C-2: Lenalee Lee
I admit that my general dislike of Studio Ghibli is coming into affect here, you can pretty much copy paste that onto any other match with a Miyazaki character in it.

C-3: Noa Izumi
coin toss, C-2 reason

C-4: Ichigo Kurasaki
He's been your selfless, stereotypical male shonen lead for ages, but he just does it so well! And I'm familiar with both series for once, but I still pick Ichigo over Li hands down.

C-5: Ginji Amano
guide, and I really hated Relena.

C-6: Kurau
guide didn't convince me to vote against her

C-7: Yang Wen Li
Totally Yang Wen Li all the way.

C-8: Lady Oscar
Arusu's over the top tree (or in this case animal) hugging really turned me off. It's partly a vote against her as I'm not a fan of the show (may no one mention that I nominated her) and I kinda feel that voting for Arusu would feel like I was voting for PETA or something.

C-9: Yugo Beppu
guide

C-10: Ai Tanabe
No way I can't vote for her! She's got what it takes, the type of life-like heroism that makes you go "man, I'm not sure if I'd do that in her situation"

C-11: Tochiro
guide

C-12: Monkey D. Luffy
This is more a vote against Sophie specifically, not entirely because of reason C-2 (not that it doesn't come into effect) but because I don't like her specifically either. I never really saw her do anything heroic that I remember, just do some chores, cry a bit, do some more chores, put her hand in fire without getting burned, cry some more.... I voted against her in nominations, I'm not about to vote for her now. Sure, Luffy is a male shonen lead, but he's a solid one that I have no problems voting for either.

C-13: Duck/Princess Tutu
How not? Not only is she the lead character of quite possibly my favorite anime of all time, but she's the heroic lynchpin of the whole thing. It's like she's leaking out heroism or something. And Quatre had the distinct distinction of being in Gundam Wing and being one of the two characters I did not hate, but he doesn't have much going for him, especially not when put up against Duck. She doesn't deserve just this win, she deserves the entire bracket.

C-14: Jane Buxton
guide

C-15: D
the quarter says so

C-16: Leo
classic Tezuka hero. You might question why I would vote against Arusu (C-8) but for Leo when they're both for the goal of wanting animals and humans to live in peace, but I go for Leo because 1) I love Tezuka and 2) I think Leo is just better at it without annoying me.
Sentire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
By the way, the pic for Tochiro is wrong. That pic is actually of Tochiro's friend Harlock. Tochiro is much uglier than that. Smile

If you or someone else has a correct pic for Tochiro, I'd very much like a link for it. This was one of the better shots that came up for him on a Google image search, so I assumed it was him.

I sent you one via pm. Let me know if you would like a better one.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Tochiro's Guide entry has now been updated to reflect an accurate picture, thanks to Sentire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh ouch, down 8 places in the mini-game Sad

Group C-1
Voting for: Sana Kurata, Kodocha

Reasons: Because any DBZ vote I make will go to Goku. Plus I do love the shoujo heroines.

Group C-2
Voting for: Lenalee Lee, D. Gray-man

Reasons: Guide

Group C-3
Voting for: Pazu, Castle in the Sky

Reasons: Because Noa does seem to be mostly just doing her job.

Group C-4
Voting for: Ichigo Kurasaki, Bleach

Reasons: Shaoran never greatly impressed me.

Group C-5
Voting for: Ginji Amano, Getbackers

Reasons: Because Relena is annoying. She gets significantly better by the end of the series but given that Ginji is awesome from the start a weak beginning is enough to take her out here.

Group C-6
Voting for: Kurau Amami, Kurau Phantom Memory

Reasons: Guide.

Group C-7
Voting for: Yang Wen Li, The Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Reasons: Guide (and he seems less ridiculous).

Group C-8
Voting for: Lady Oscar, The Rose of Versailles

Reasons: Even though I loathe what happens to her when she and spoiler[Andre get married], it doesn't take away from her awesome, classic heroism. Also, my avatar may hurt me if I didn't vote for her.

Group C-9
Voting for: Yugo Beppu, Yugo The Negotiator

Group C-10
Voting for: Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso

Group C-11
Voting for: Franz D’Epinay, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Reasons: Seen this one and the guide doesn't convince me that the competition is better.

Group C-12
Voting for: Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece

Reasons: Sophie is okay but I'm not convinced enough to vote for her.

Group C-13
Voting for: Quatre Raberra Winner, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Reasons: I nominated him, though seeing the competition I don't think I expect him to win (pretty sure Duck was very strong in nominations).

Group C-14
Voting for: Jane Buxton, Secret of Cerulean Sand

Reasons: I nominated her too and I'd really be thrilled if she did make it to the next round and got more people taking a look at this charming series.

Group C-15
Voting for: D, Vampire Hunter D

Reasons: He has an awesome hat.

Group C-16
Voting for: Alice L. Malvin, Pumpkin Scissors

Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Group C-8
Voting for: Lady Oscar, The Rose of Versailles

Reasons: Even though I loathe what happens to her when she and spoiler[Andre get married], it doesn't take away from her awesome, classic heroism. Also, my avatar may hurt me if I didn't vote for her.

But she and spoiler[Andre never get married in the anime. He dies before that point.] I feel very confident in saying that, as I saw the scene where spoiler[Andre dies] while screen capping for Key a few weeks ago, and they very specifically say that they're going to do that, not that they have, and he spoiler[then goes on and dies.]

Are you maybe thinking of the manga?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
They most certainly spoiler[get married] in the anime, or at least they act like they do. It actually turned me off watching every one of the last episodes of the anime because Oscar suddenly went all spoiler[girlie and started talking about how she needed to support her husband and stuff like that. I'm about 99% sure she calls him her husband].

However she did redeem herself as far as heroics go by the end when the French Revolution finally happened. So she gets my vote here (I did however vote against her and Andre in the Duos tournament because of how lame things got when spoiler[they finally did "get together].

But 100% the behaviour I'm talking about is from the anime because I've never read the manga.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
C-1
Gohan, Dragonball Z
Sana Kurata, Kodocha

Gohan
I guess Sana's just a little too mundane to really be competative in this tournament. I may change my vote later so it's slightly less of a landslide, but I doubt it will matter.

C-2
Nausicaa, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Lenalee Lee, D.Gray-Man

Nausicaa
Lenalee has a better guide, but it only mentions her wanting to protect her brother and friends. Nausicaa's benevolence seems a little broader.

C-3
Noa Izumi, Patlabor
Pazu, Castle in the Sky

Noa
Slightly more interesting guide entry.

C-4
Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach
Shaoran Li, Cardcaptor Sakura

Ichigo
Ichigo's stubborness may keep me from voting for him in later rounds, but Shaoran's role being inherently supportive puts the latter and a disadvantage for this tournament. I may switch later out of pity.

C-5
Relena Peacecraft, Gundam Wing
Ginji Amano, GetBackers

Ginji
Relena's entry isn't nearly enough to pick her over Ginji. Ginji believes the best of everyone, and does everything in his immense power to help them. He formed the Volts (his gang in the Infinite Fortress) to help protect the defenseless residents of Lower Town from the malicious toyings of those from the higher levels of the Fortress.

C-6
Kurau, Kurau: Phantom Memory
Oboro, Utawarerumono

Kurau
Oboro is a good choice, but Kurau is a better one. Both give everything they have to protect others, but Kurau spoiler[just goes that extra step when she must part from Christmas in order to save both the Rynax and the Earth and Moon.]

C-7
Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Kekko Kamen, Kekko Kamen

Yang
I'm torn. How do you even deal with the inherent silliness of a character like Kekko Kamen? A naked, masked superhero? I'm sorry, I just can't do it. Heroic, I'm sure; just not my cup of tea.

C-8
Lady Oscar, The Rose of Versaille
Arusu, Tweeny Witches

Lady Oscar
The impression I get is that Oscar just deserves to be here more.

C-9
Yuko "Yasako" Okonogi, Denno Coil
Yugo Beppu, Yugo the Negotiator

Yasako
Again, a tricky vote for me. I don't get why people love Denno Coil so much, but I can understand that Yasako really does end up as the hero in what seems to be a technological ghost story. Yugo, while facing more corporeal dangers, seems to have a reputation on these forums as not being quite as great as one would expect.

C-10
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso
Ai Tanabe, Planetes

Ai
Ai may be lacking slightly in the actions department, but with the trials she faces towards the end, she earns this one, I think.

C-11
Tochiro, Gun Frontier
Franz D'epinay, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Tochiro
Tochiro sounds pretty darned awesome. Franz, more like a conscience to Albert. Yeah, I saw the part about risking life and reputation, and it didn't quite grab me.

C-12
Sophie, Howl's Moving Castle
Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece

Luffy
Sophie's heroism didn't particularly impress me in the movie. Plus, people seem to love Luffy for his dedication to his friends.

C-13
Quatre Rabera Winner, Gundam Wing
Duck, Princess Tutu

Duck
Duck is win.

C-14
Tatsumi Saiga, Speed Grapher
Jane Buxton, Secret of the Cerulean Sand

Jane
Meh.

C-15
Age, Heroic Age
D, Vampire Hunter D

D
+1 hat of style.

C-16
Leo, Jungle Emperor Leo
Alice L. Melvin, Pumpkin Scissors

Alice
Her zeal for acting in a noble manner is incredible. Her whole-hearted belief in her mission wins my vote.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
But 100% the behaviour I'm talking about is from the anime because I've never read the manga.

I just double-checked, and that didn't happen in the anime. Here are screen caps from episode 39, about one minute spoiler[before he dies 7 minutes into the episode]

[Note: these images contain spoilers for the last episodes of this series.]
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/ANNStuff/RoV1.png
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/ANNStuff/RoV2.png
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/ANNStuff/RoV3.png
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/ANNStuff/RoV4.png
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Group C-15
Voting for: D, Vampire Hunter D

Reasons: He has an awesome hat.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
C-15
Age, Heroic Age
D, Vampire Hunter D
D
+1 hat of style.

Never knew fashion sense helped make the hero, especially for a brooding guy like D. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
C-12: Monkey D. Luffy
This is more a vote against Sophie specifically, not entirely because of reason C-2 (not that it doesn't come into effect) but because I don't like her specifically either. I never really saw her do anything heroic that I remember, just do some chores, cry a bit, do some more chores, put her hand in fire without getting burned, cry some more.... I voted against her in nominations, I'm not about to vote for her now. Sure, Luffy is a male shonen lead, but he's a solid one that I have no problems voting for either.

I'm probably going to end up voting against Sophie too, but I have to point out that she leaves her home alone and without protection, is not intimidated by Howl's reputation - which is about as bad as your local sex offender's/ex con's, stands up to Madame Suliman, helps the Which of the Waste spoiler[despite the horrible curse the latter gave her], and, finally, spoiler[gets Howl's heart back]. I don't think she's particularly heroic either, but give the devil his due.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Never knew fashion sense helped make the hero, especially for a brooding guy like D. Laughing

Only when it's a really good looking hat.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
Gohan, Dragonball Z

Reason: While not as heroic as his father he is easily the more heroic one in this match up. He always fights for good because it's just the right thing to do. He puts himself in danger often to protect those he cares about and everyone else when the next badguy attacks.

Group C-2

Reason: An easy choice for me. Nausicaa just embodies everything that makes someone heroic. No contest in this match.

Group C-3
Pazu, Castle in the Sky

Reason: Pretty undecided on this one. So I went by the guide and arguments presented thus far. Mostly the guide. Felt Pazu was a better choice to win this round.

Group C-4
Ichigo Kurasaki, Bleach

Reason: Like most typical shonen lead characters he has an over developed sense of justice. Always pushing himself to protect others against evil and people out to do them harm. Maybe not the best of heroes in this tournament but enough of one to win this round.

Group C-5
Ginji Amano, Getbackers

Reason: Ginji is just mr heroic in Getbackers. He's the conscience and understanding side of the duo. The one always looking out for the little guy because it's not right or fair to hurt others unjustly. He just oozes bubbly happiness and has a very strong code of what's right and what's wrong. A very unsung hero IMO and he definitely deserves to win this round and a few more.

Group C-6
Kurau Amami, Kurau Phantom Memory

Reason: She fights her own kind, risks her life constantly, and risks losing her other half (literally her other half as Christmas is her "pair") to protect and defend humans. She does so because it's just and right and because she doesn't want others to suffer. She risks everything she yearned for to protect those who even try to hunt her down. She definitely deserves to win this round.

Group C-7
Kekko Kamen, Kekko Kamen (warning: this Guide entry contains nudity)

Despite her choice of.....costume heh...she is a heroes hero. I mean she's just based on the old fashioned masked hero model...minus the wardrobe (though that would have made Saturday morning cartoons more interesting that's for sure). She fights for truth and justice against the villain of the week for the good of all heh.

Group C-8
Lady Oscar, The Rose of Versailles

Reason: Haven't seen Tweeny Witches nor an argument that's enough to m ke me switch my vote on this one.

Group C-9
Yugo Beppu, Yugo The Negotiator

Reason: The man puts himself into harm's way and goes through torture and abuse WELL BEYOND what his job entails. He does so willingly and on his own accord alwaysing putting other's safety before his own.

Group C-10
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso

Reason: I honestly think both are equally heroic and would like to see either move on. However only one can so I'm giving my support to Porco over Ai

Group C-11
Franz D’Epinay, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Reason: Really not that caring on this one with who wins to be honest. But I liked the guide and arguments thus far more for Franz so that's where my vote goes.

Group C-12

Reason: Sophie never seemed like a hero to me fully. More like a victim of circumstances. Howl is hardly a full blown hero himself. So while Monkey may not be the most heroic of the shonen characters (I mean how heroic can a pirate who plunders really be? =p) he's enough of one to win this round. Plus as mentioned he does blindly support his crew so that also helps him get the vote.

Group C-13
Duck/Princess Tutu, Princess Tutu

Reason: Out of all the Gundam Wing pilots Quatre is to me the most heroic because of his nature. So it's a shame he got this match up so soon. Duck just is everything a hero should be, in action and thinking, and easily deserves to go on to the next round.

Group C-14
Tatsumi Saiga, Speed Grapher

Reason: Despite the hate for the show Saiga is a hero none the less. Many say he only cares about Kagura. To a point that may be true. However he could have walked away. He could have turned a blind eye and not helped her. He had no reason to and no commitment or relation to her. He chose, despite his ever mounting depressing and angst at the world, to help her and he saw it through to the end. He constantly put himself in harms way to protect her, and others as well I might add (I loved Bob hehe) because it was the right thing to do. He may not have started out as a hero but he develops into one through the course of the show by fighting for what's right. Especially when spoiler[doing so was taking away his own vision in the process.]

Group C-15
D, Vampire Hunter D

Reason: He may be aloof and cold on the outside but D has a very noble interior. He has a clearly defined sense of right and wrong and fights against what he sees as evil. People may argue he's just doing his job but he goes well beyond the call of duty (even giving Dan pep talks in the first movie) because it's simply the right thing to do.

Group C-16
Alice L. Malvin, Pumpkin Scissors

Reason: While Kimba may be iconic Alice just wins in the heroism department hands down. After reading the guide, and seeing some of the show, I can easily say Alice should win this round.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Here are current scores after a day with 15 votes:

Match C-1: Gohan leads 13-2.

Match C-2: Nausicaa leads 12-3.

Match C-3: Pazu leads 9-6.

Match C-4: Ichigo Kurasaki leads 14-1.

Match C-5: Ginji Amano leads 12-3.

Match C-6: Kurau Amani leads 12-3.

Match C-7: Yang Wen-li leads 12-3.

Match C-8: Lady Oscar leads 14-1.

Match C-9: Yugo Beppu leads 9-6.

Match C-10: Ai Tanabe leads 10-5.

Match C-11: Tochiro leads 9-6.

Match C-12: Monkey D. Luffy leads 14-1.

Match C-13: Duck leads 13-2.

Match C-14: Tatsumi Saiga leads 10-5.

Match C-15: D leads 10-5.

Match C-16: Alice L. Melvin leads 11-4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouga13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Gohan, Dragonball Z

Group C-2

Group C-3
Pazu, Castle in the Sky

Group C-4
Ichigo Kurasaki, Bleach

Group C-5
Relena Peacecraft, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Guess I'm going for the pacifist over the gangbanger turned vigilante?

Group C-6
Kurau Amami, Kurau Phantom Memory

Group C-7
Kekko Kamen, Kekko Kamen (warning: this Guide entry contains nudity)

I just think it'd be funny if she won.

Group C-8
Lady Oscar, The Rose of Versailles

Group C-9
Yugo Beppu, Yugo The Negotiator

Group C-10
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso

I don't think he should win this one, but I have to vote for him. He's quite possibly my favorite character of all time.

Group C-11
Tochiro, Gun Frontier

Sounds like my kind of guy. And I can't describe any character from the Count of Monte Cristo as a hero.

Group C-12

Group C-13
Duck/Princess Tutu, Princess Tutu

Group C-14
Jane Buxton, Secret of Cerulean Sand

What does Tatsumi have over Sagara? They sound the same; Jane doesn't seem all that great either but seems to have a wider effect.

Group C-15
Age, Heroic Age

Can't believe he's losing to a hat. Real shame, Age deserved to go further.

Group C-16
Leo, Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion

Classic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 77