• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mandalay Pictures Licenses Full Metal Panic! Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godlen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
do you have a resource for this article, because I see no proof from anyone stating that this indeed has happened. Every other blog just points to one another, but with noting official stating that this is going down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
well godlen, i was about to point you to this article, http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/04/06/mandalay-pictures-picks-up-rights-for-full-metal-panic-movie/ .... but then i noticed you posted the same comment on their page Very Happy sure, its just speculation. especially the whole zac efron casting. Assuming this story is accurate, Zac has only expressed interest in the film. doesn't mean he'll get it.

Last edited by David.Seth on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
godlen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Ok so we are all getting this from the same place. Well I guess we will see in the morning!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Nothing says Sousuke Sagara quite like a lily-white boy who sings in an awful Disney musical series that you just want to punch in the face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jaziek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
OH GOD WHY!?
What have we done to deserve this?!!?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though this movie can be adapted to an American HS more easily.

This was my initial reaction. I wouldn't expect a faithful adaption here, just use of the name and concept. Make it a spin-off based in the same universe or something, make references to Mithril, and maybe even Japanese events. Something like that could actually work, make it canon rather than an alternative or a re-do.

Emerje
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

This was my initial reaction. I wouldn't expect a faithful adaption here, just use of the name and concept. Make it a spin-off based in the same universe or something, make references to Mithril, and maybe even Japanese events. Something like that could actually work, make it canon rather than an alternative or a re-do.

Emerje

I really don't think this movie will ever be made. Just ask yourself if Sousuke carrying a loaded pistol into his high school or setting off explosives on campus would work.

It just doesn't fit... especially this post-Columbine-VT shooting stuff.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Craigasorus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'm sure everyone is aware, but LA anime films seems to be the new waters Hollywood is testing.

20th Century Fox already failed with their pathetic excuse of an adaptation of Dragonball with crapping out DB:E, but I think the 2nd tier of LA films will be far more successful thanks to Warner Brothers for one being behind the Leonardo DiCaprio produced Ninja Scroll and Akira films.

Just yesterday we got that article mentioning DiCaprio casting Japanese actors for Ninja Scroll, he understands it seems that staying faithful to the source material (both the aesthetics and narrative) is usually the best choice (as some recent american comic book characters have seen; Iron Man, The Dark Knight etc., when being adapted for the big screen.

In my book these anime-to-films are welcomed as it will be curious how these next couple of adaptations will cause the extinction of these films or the further green-lighting of them (similarly like American comic book adaptations have become extremely profitable for Hollywood).

Anyway, I'm glad Full Metal Panic is being taken into consideration. Hopefully they pull it off successfully. I'll keep an eye on this project.

Last edited by Craigasorus on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Asho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Seriously, less LA more 3rd Season.

Or at least a fummofu 2, throw us a friggin' bone here.

Can't agree more. He can't act. he's nothing more than a commodity to be traded amongst filmmakers who want to appeal to the pre-pubescent girl demographic. Even if we take a flight of fancy and say the script is acceptable, he wouldn’t be have balls to pull it off (and that’s ignoring the fact he can't act).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
I've been pretty positive about the potential of the other recent Hollywood adaptations of anime/manga so don't mistake this for the usual elitist drivel: This seems like a pretty terrible idea. I just can't see how FMP could work as live action. Nearly every aspect of it is problematic.

penguintruth wrote:
Nothing says Sousuke Sagara quite like a lily-white boy who sings in an awful Disney musical series that you just want to punch in the face.

Well...at least that will make Kaname's job easier.
CoolyChaN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
Oh god pls don't let Mr High School Musical be Sousuke. Crying or Very sad
Mika20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
I hate to bash on this one here.
I love Full Metal Panic. Don't get me wrong.

Not all ...shall I say every anime would make an awesome live-action movie. Seeing this happening makes me laugh in thinking "..You have got to be kidding."

And now seeing that Zac Efron will probably be playing a role in this movie makes it sound a bit unbelievable. He's a very talented actor....but I can't see him playing a character in this movie...heck I can't see this movie being live. Confused
Hokum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Surely an actor of middle eastern/central asian ancestory would be better cast? Being that Sousuke is from Afganistan?

Oh no, just read his brief agan, he's japanese, but raised in Afganistan. Again an actor who isnt american would be best...

Last edited by Hokum on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
I would watch this movie if three things happen

1. Its based off of Fumoffu
2. Disney produces it
3. Bonta-Kun is replaced by Mickey Mouse.

because who wouldn't want to see Zac Efron is a powered armor Mickey Mouse costume gunning people down.

That and a scene where Zac Efron punches out a foul mouthe Mickey Mouse entertainer to get he costume in the first place.
Scamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Emerje

I really don't think this movie will ever be made. Just ask yourself if Sousuke carrying a loaded pistol into his high school or setting off explosives on campus would work.

It just doesn't fit... especially this post-Columbine-VT shooting stuff.

To top it all off, isn't Sagara from Afganistan

This seems more idle speculation then actual fact so I'm not holding my breath. Zac will be in his 30's before this gets made so theres not much point casting him as Sagara
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10