• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

*edit again* meant to ask, but who is James Dean?

Rebel Without a Cause, incredibly famous classic movie, the definitive "teen angst and rebellion" movie, before Grease or The Breakfast Club.

See, this is James Dean, famous pose...

Whoops, my mistake, this is him...

(Ouran is just chock-ful of references! Anime hyper)

On a side note, my bracket is all shot to hell already! Laughing I guess that's what happens when you fill it with your personal choices.

That being said, when I vote this time, I'm going to give very detailed responses so I won't have to lobby as much later, if at all, and maybe other participants can see where I'm coming from. That being said, I was pretty waffly with most choices last round anyway. There's only a few I give much of a hang about.
blazingeyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
B-1
Edward Elric
I don't really think Ed was really that heroic, he seemed awfully self centred and not really concerned about helping anyone in a major way but himself or his brother (though I could be wrong, it's a while since I've watched it) but I'm really not impressed with the guide for Kintaro.

B-2
Natsume Takashi
I'm voting for him for the same reasons I nominated him in the first place, because he helps everyone despite the odds and the dangers.

B-3
Eikichi Onizuka
Because he's one hell of a teacher. He supports his students when no one else will.

B-4
Nicholas Wolfwood
It's a tough decision but I'll go for Wolfwood becaus I believe he has the right motives for what he's doing.

B-5
Astro Boy
Guide

B-6
Touma Kamijo
Chief Yagami is in a job and he takes up the Kira investigation at first because of his job. Touma on the other hand has his problems shoved on him in an already hectic life and he takes every one of them on despite the fact that he has no obligation to; in fact in time he hardly thinks about the fact that he doesn't have to help, he will even if he's told not to.

B-7
Balsa
She really does remind me of a female Kenshin, and the guide for Jessica doesn't compare to that.

B-8
Naruto Uzumaki
Some people will be against Naruto simply because he's from Naruto, but I think that while he may not be the best hero out there, he is one of the most heroic in his thoughts.

B-9
Kurenai Shinkurou
Guide, and I've heard good things about him.

B-10
Saito Hiraga

B-11
Juliet Capulet
Guide.

B-12
Utena Tenjou
More a vote against Claus since he seemed to be doing everything just for a chance to fly.

B-13
Roger Smith
Not mad on Tohru.

B-14
Taichi Keaton

B-15
Shannon Casull
Going with the comments.

B-16
Vash the Stampede
This is the toughest one for me but I'll go with Vash because he will not kill anyone, even though many are trying to kill him for the bounty or other reasons. He even sometimes helps those who are after the bounty and also helps any random strangers, particularly if they're female. Sagara is also a heroic kind of guy but be's less inclined to help those who aren't Kaname.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Voting for: Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Reasons: I've only seen the first ten episodes of FMA but that was enough to convince me.

Group B-2
Voting for: Tsukushi Makino, Boys over Flowers

Reasons: Because I'd like some of the shoujo, non magical-girl heroines to get through to the second round and I think she's the best pick of the bunch.

Group B-3
Voting for: Fakir, Princess Tutu

Reasons: Guide.

Group B-4
Voting for: Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Reasons: While not the strongest contender IMO, he's still good enough to get to round 2.

Group B-5
Voting for: Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)

Reasons: Because he's classic.

Group B-6
Voting for: Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)

Reasons: I couldn't get through one episode of this series but the Guide makes him sound good. Better than Soichiro, though I do like him.

Group B-7
Voting for: Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Reasons: Guide (Jessica's entry is not even remotely convincing)

Group B-8
Voting for: Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto

Reasons: Because I love orange jumpsuits.

Group B-9
Voting for: Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai

Reasons: Guide

Group B-10
Voting for: Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku

Reasons: Another shoujo heroine, though historical I think makes it a bit different. Anyway, Shurei is awesome.

Group B-11
Voting for: Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster

Reasons: Because I hate Juliet in this version and her "heroics" (along with making the love at first sight even MORE pronounced than in the source material) was the reason I couldn't force myself to watch any more.

Group B-12
Voting for: Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Reasons: Because everything I've heard about her sounds awesome and this is a series I feel quite remiss for not having seen already.

Group B-13
Voting for: Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Reasons: I expected to go the other way, but Roger Smith's guide entry is another fairly lackluster one so Tohru is it!

Group B-14
Voting for: Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton

Reasons: Guide

Group B-15
Voting for: Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess

Reasons: There was quite a bit of discussion in nominations about whether Keiichi should be in the tournament at all.

Group B-16
Voting for: Vash the Stampede, Trigun

Reasons: This is a rather unfortunate matchup, because what I know about Sousuke suggests he deserves to go further. But not when up against Vash.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
While it is true that I nominated Cheif Yagami, he simply does not deserve to win here. I have a lot of respect for the chief, but he falls short when it comes to active displays of heroism. The chief may have been able to win against an easier opponent, but Tohma is too deserving.

It's been a while since I finished Death Note, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Soichiro continue working against Kira despite the police officially withdrawing, despite the explicit threat of death, and, finally, risking to uncover his own son as a murderer and a madman?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1

Edward Elric may have personal motivations, but his heroism isn't limited by them. Ed may be ridiculed on a regular basis and lets his temper rise, but at the same time his actions inspire great respect and admiration from others, friend or foe alike. That doesn't make Kintaro inherently less heroic, within his own context, but the point of this contest is the fact choices must be made.

Group B-2

I have not seen either series, but going by the guide entries, my vote goes to Natsume for the moment.

Group B-3

I'd like to see a more detailed argument for Fakir, to be honest, but for now I'll go with Onizuka as my choice.

Group B-4

Jinto does have at least a couple of moments that I'd consider unquestionably heroic, all things considered, but Nicholas Wolfwood seems to be more consistently heroic in terms of his goals, in spite of his very questionable methods, yet even there he does show a degree of personal growth.

Group B-5

Astro Boy is an iconic character and certainly represents a heroic archetype. That might not be enough to take him all the way, but for now it should suffice. Knowing a bit more about Samatarou wouldn't hurt though.

Group B-6

I was all set to support Soichiro here, on principle at least, but the guide entry for Touma Kamijo and some of the details provided by others make me see him as more deserving of my vote at this stage.

Group B-7

Balsa is certainly worthy, by all rights, but Jessica Edwards represents what I consider to be a more "realistic" and not any less admirable kind of heroism. To be quite honest, you could even say they both have compatible mindsets, from a certain perspective, but what Jessica represents in the long run is also an important factor.

Group B-8

Naruto. It would seem that his heroics and their effects on others are important enough to merit my vote, even if I'm still not really interested in him as a character overall.

Group B-9

I'm fairly undecided here. Iria seems to have a slightly more convincing case, at least in terms of guide entries, though it wouldn't be beyond me to re-think the issue and change my vote.

Group B-10

Shurei. It seems I was initially afraid of voting for her just because of how interesting her character sounded like and was far too hasty in my evaluation of her heroism. I now think the reasons provided make up for it.

Group B-11

Tough choice. I have not seen the series involved, but Juliet's guide entry is certainly impressive and, in a different situation, that would be enough to convince me to vote in her favor.

That said, right now I must still support Noriko for a number of reasons. We see her at her weakest, which may be a liability to some, but for me it's something that serves to highlight her development, making her ability to make what is essentially a gigantic leap of faith that much more worthy of admiration. She spoiler[sacrificed her present and any possibility of having a normal life for the sake of Earth's future]. By the end of the OVA series, all her efforts could well have been in vain, spoiler[ if the Earth had been destroyed during her absence or, failing that, if she and Kazumi had died in the process or faded into obscurity], which was always a possibility. The fact that her most selfless act was important enough to be remembered spoiler[for thousands of years] and earned her the lasting gratitude of the world says a lot. It may or may not count, strictly speaking, but the later Diebuster OVA also adds, from a different and indirect perspective, a new level of depth to the above considerations and, if nothing else, reinforces the fact that Noriko did become a very inspirational figure.

Group B-12

I can't believe it took me until last year to actually watch the series, but Utena is one of the most admirable heroines I can think of and certainly breaks the traditional mold in more than one sense. A lot of the series is ritualistic and predictable in nature, if you can look past all the symbolism, but some of Utena's most heroic acts come at the very end of the journey. Claus isn't bad, I like him as a character, but he's not a match for her in this category.

Group B-13

Voting for Tohru. After reading up on some spoilers, she actually sounds fairly impressive in this regard.

Group B-14

Keaton. Kazuma is very heroic but at the same time, he really, really enjoys fighting more than anything else and sometimes that runs contrary to some of his other, more admirable intentions.

Group B-15

On second thought, voting for Keiichi. Looks like I overestimated Shannon, especially after reading up a bit more on him, and rather sloppily undersold Keiichi (forgetting a couple of additional things he did do, which make a difference as Mad_Scientist has pointed out in further detail).

Group B-16

You could call both of them heroic, certainly, but Vash is willing to make more sacrifices and places a lot more on the line for the sake of his admirable ideals.

EDIT:
Vote changes

Christmas to Naruto.
Saito to Shurei.
Shannon to Keiichi.
Roger Smith to Tohru.

Last edited by nightjuan on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
*edit again* meant to ask, but who is James Dean?

I feel very, very old... Excuse me while I go weep into my beer.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I went ahead and sought out quotes I disagree with to implement in my "reasons for voting," let's get crackin'! (This is going to be padded...I'm honestly shocked that so many people are writing Yagami off considering his actions! Shocked)

Group B-1
Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
vs.
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Voting for: Edward Elric
Reason: Ed has problems in the hero department, but Kintarou seems downright ordinary. Being a good parent and a decent guy is nice, but...there just aren't high stakes here. Dr. Tenma and Tohru, for instance, are special cases because there are high stakes and ghastly dangers for them, but Kintarou has failed to impress me.

arachneia wrote:
He is very heroic, very brave, yada yada yada, but these traits are ascribed to him very mechanically, and he doesn't seem to acquire them through any growth process.

That could be said of many shonen adventures, but we're talking about FMA here, and growth is a major part of the story. Ed verbally acknowledges that he has changed from a man of apathy and bitterness to someone who "needs to care about things grander than himself." I mean, he has a monologue in episode 50 that sums this up.

On the philanthropic side of things, however, he's very different from a lot of shonen heroes who just "do the right thing because that's what the protagonists do!" He always has reasons. In the episode DerektheRed mentioned, he doesn't plan on helping the townsfolk at all because to help them he would have to break the law, and of course, he barely knows these people. His mind only changes when he realizes they're having to sacrifice something he knows is painful to lose. He gave up ever having a home and he knows it's hard, so how could he deprive these people of it? Even if it was "against the law," it was "the right thing to do," so he did it. This holds true in many other cases down the road, so I think his inherent self-centeredness being acknowledged and then denied is better than "oh, he's just a nice person (Naruto, One Piece) at heart because that's the way these shows go."

It's also better than "I'm pretty non-heroic in every way, but I'm somehow in this tournament because I'm a shonen protagonist." (Yu Yu Hakusho, but at least he's out now.)

I do feel I have to point this out this difference because I have a pretty big "no annoying shonen heroes clause" here, too...

Group B-2
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yūjin-Chō
vs.
Tsukushi Makino, Boys over Flowers

Voting for: Natsume Takashi
Reason: Not really familiar with either, so I have to go by the guide, wiki, other outside sources, and conclude that Makino sounds pretty "whatevah."

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka

Voting for: Eikichi Onizuka
Reason: The weirdest nominee in this entire tournament, I should say. He accomplishes an insane amount, though. He becomes a teacher despite having no teaching experience, he slowly wins over the hearts of the most wicked and nasty students I've ever seen in an anime, lives on the cramped and dirty school roof and still spares time to help out everyone who asks anything of him, the list goes on and on. And yet...he's a total punk, yes. He has a crazy high libido and usually solves his problems through acting like a gangbanger, but he doesn't resort to really reckless tactics. (Although there was that bungie-jump off the bridge...) He has strong hormones, but he's not a total pig: you never actually see him treat women like objects, he's outwardly polite (for a dumbbell)...he just kind of...thinks about them a lot in a non-chaste manner. Razz I get the feeling that's normal.

Maybe THIS isn't, but... Anime hyper

Group B-4
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto (aka Jinto Linn), Crest/Banner of the Stars
vs.
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Voting for: Nicholas Wolfwood
Reason: Wolfwood has a lot of the same problems that Ed does, but his competition is entirely lackluster. Lafiel was more heroic than him, and she still lost to a character who has questionable motives for his great deeds.

Speaking of questionable motives, I found this weird:

Mylene wrote:
Wolfwood was my favorite character from Trigun, and I adore him. But I just don't see him as a hero. He's a good guy--most of the time--but there were just a few too many ulterior motives mixed into his good deeds for me to want to see him advance.

Olliff wrote:
There are times where he is good intentioned, but there are also times where his ulterior motives shine.

Wolfwood's motives are actually 100% heroic and pure. At heart, he's a very good man. It's his methods that you really have a problem with, right? Look here.

Motive: Protect children from the dangerous world they have to grow up in. Give a home to homeless children, give them food, protect them from the many wicked men out to exploit them. (If you've seen how many exploited children there are in Trigun, it's no wonder he's such a busy guy.)

Method: Kill wicked men. On sight. No mercy. Furthermore, spoiler[since he's running out of money to fund the orphanage, work for Knives as a counter-agent to keep Vash alive...well, keep him alive in order to drive him mad and break his spirit, which is Knives' real plan.]

It's worth noting that he becomes friends with Vash on the job, grows to respect him, and as such, spoiler[when his orders are switched, (to test him,) from "protect Vash" to "kill Vash or no money," he refuses and gives up his life instead.]

A lot of other heroes in anime are about this rough-and-tumble, but Wolfwood just looks more "wicked" because he's juxtaposed against Vash, who is...well...Vash.

Group B-5
Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
vs.
Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)

Voting for: Astro Boy
Reason: Iconic charm and a good heart versus a character who sounds like he shouldn't be here, pretty much.

Group B-6
Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)
vs.
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note

Voting for: Soichiro Yagami
Reason: I think a lot of participants just remember L and Light's antics more, but this guy was a very active figure despite being relatively powerless. Few old guys have that much guts, moxie, dignity, fervor, and conviction. He played second fiddle because he was not...

Quote:
Soichiro Yagami had his heart in the right place, but was rather blind about the whole thing at the same time. Thus, vote against him more.

...a very smart man. Aizawa was craftier than he was. He was in an executive position, but he's no detective, sure. Should that disqualify him from being heroic? He REALLY is. It didn't take brains or power to leave a hospital after suffering cardiac arrest and do the hard thing no one else in the whole investigation was doing: get that terrible Kira broadcast off the air. After realizing no one was doing anything, this old guy spoiler[drives a truck through the door and threatens the sleezebag behind the operation], giving other people, like the TV anchorman that follows on-air, the courage to stand up to Kira as well. Now, yes, it was stupid. After he got in there and stopped the broadcast, he didn't know how to get back out, so he had to call for help (and help did come.) But it was incredibly heroic.

It may have been unintelligent for him not to realize that his son was Kira, but if he really wanted to defend his son, is there any greater love than volunteering to spend time in confinement (for months!) until he is proven innocent so as not to interfere with the progression of the evidence? I think not. Onizuka is a seed, and he's dumb as a brick. Unless it's willful, and Yagami's isn't, ignorance should not be a factor here.

Neither should the fact that he's a secondary character be a problem here, when you think about it:

GGultra wrote:
While noble in personality, I didn't see Soichiro do much of anything in Death Note.

Well, he's 50-something years old! He has health problems several times during the show's run, but he still crashes a truck through a building to prevent further wickedness, leads an assault on a mafia den and faces down a guy with a detonator in his hand by himself, puts in hours and hours of sleepless nights to solve the case when it's already hard on him, spends a few months in a cell of his own free will while suffering from aforementioned sleep deprivation and fatigue, and oh yeah, spoiler[resigns from a respectable high-paying job because of his moral convictions.] That last one is perhaps the most difficult of all, though it doesn't require any butt-kicking.

When talking about everyday heroes rather than action heroes, I tend to think of Yagami, but more than that, he's an everyday heroic man who STILL gets some action despite being rather old.

Aside:

arachneia wrote:
But how did such a good man raise such a dastardly son?

One of the cool things about Death Note is that it gives us many reasons as to why Light might think the way he does. His dad and mom aren't real involved in his life. His mom just wants him to do well in school, and while it's clear that his father has instilled him with a strong sense of justice, well, like many Japanese fathers, he's not home very often at all. They're probably not very close, given the ignorance about their secretive son that Mum and Pop and Sis continually prove. (Ignorance, foolishness, these are often traits attributed to heroes, you know. They have no power but their fervor to defend others and be righteous.)

DerektheRed wrote:
Sounds like it might be a lame show, but Touma.

Yeah, I kinda agree. It may not be shonen, but Touma strikes me as a guy who, like many shonen heroes, "is good because he's the protagonist of a magical show where he rescues cute girls," a Yukito/Yuichi man with action, adventure and injury at stake to kind of bolster his appeal. If someone can give me examples of what separates this guy from the flat and typical "I like to help others even if it hurts me!" flack, or some other kind of character depth that gives him more stake to do what he does, I'd consider him. As it is, I get the feeling he's too shallow to beat Yagami, who the original author called "the only truly good person in Death Note."

Group B-7
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Jessica Edwards, Legend of the Galactic Hero

Voting for: Balsa
Reason: Honor, diplomacy, bravery, convictions, and a veiled maternal instinct alongside buttkicking prowess? Not even a contest, Balsa should nearly go all the way. Nearly, anyway. Might be close. But not yet, it shouldn't be.

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.
Christmas, Kurau Phantom Memory

Voting for: Christmas
Reason: Naruto's grand goal is to master jutsu and become a great ninja. Some of his opponents...okay, a lot...are evil so we'll want him to win more, but what makes him any more heroic than Sasuke besides the whole troubled past thing? He's a protagonist who kicks a lot of butt, but he's also a childish stereotype who fights for his friends because it's part of the territory. There's nothing uniquely heroic about him at all, sorry. I think I also have a "no generic shonen" clause. There has to be more justification than a tourney fight show setup with a few Gaaras and Orochimarus thrown in to make a "good vs. evil" battle. Let's not forget that *gasp!* Gaara and Naruto are just two sides of the same coin! [/cliche] Any character whose principal concern in anything is to be "the best" is automatically a "no" for heroic in my book.

So Christmas by default, as she does display heroic fervor once she is able to, which proves she had a bold heart before obtaining powers, really.

Group B-9
Iria, Iria - Zeiram The Animation
vs.
Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai

Voting for: Kurenai
Reason: Haven't seen either show, but I did some research and Iria is an action hero...but maybe not "heroic at heart" as much as Kurenai. It is important to note that she's a bounty hunter who later seeks redemption through re-directed butt-kicking, and while that can be heroic...I have to give the nod to someone protecting the innocent from the get-go, one of my key factors of measuring heroics. Either way I may need more information, so I'll stick around to see peeps lobbying.

Group B-10
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Saito Hiraga, The Familiar of Zero

Voting for: Shuurei
Reason: She's extremely inspirational in a position where everything about her puts her at a disadvantage. She cares about people, does her job efficiently in the hopes of furthering a greater cause...against another action hero who is "good because he's the protagonist," I don't think this should be a contest...but it certainly will be. I need to watch The Familiar of Zero and see what I can surmise about this guy, if he has any depth at all.

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
Juliet Capulet, Romeo x Juliet

Voting for: Noriko
Reason: More a vote against Juliet who is...well...

...a cliche "I am woman" character from a bad show. Okay, she's not completely "Rawr! Gurl power!" but it gets pretty close.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Voting for: Utena
Reason: Now this is girl power with some depth and context, as is Lady Oscar in a later round. Utena has some big stumbling points I hope to address in later rounds, but her draw as an honestly strong female character (like Balsa) and not just a busty fighting action bitch, I'll give her round one.

Plus, Lavie was probably more heroic than Claus, and he can't be here without her. He maybe becomes more heroic as time goes on, but up front: Lavie had all the moxie. Think a Renton and Eureka relationship here, but give Eureka a girlish, spunky personality.

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Voting for: Tohru Honda
Reason: Roger has been compared to Batman, which is funny, but if you really want to get into it, he's more like Bruce Wayne. He's a businessman, and he knows when to cut his ties and form his deals. In combat he's brave and all-around a good guy, but he's not overtly heroic. It's a job, and he can be grumpy about it.

That is to say, he could win against weak sauce competition, but not against Tohru, no way.

Aylinn wrote:
Tohru feels like an artificial human being that is programmed to love and be loved by absolutely every character that happens to be in Fruits Basket. Plus, additional option to splutter words of wisdom by mother does not help.

I want heroic people not heroic robots.

So your criticism is that she's too good-hearted to be heroic? I don't see how someone could be "too good" to be considered a real hero unless they are unrealistically developed or have a "shonen problem," being good because they are the protagonist and they fight bad guys, but have no golden personal traits, like Naruto or Yuusuke.

Tohru clearly doesn't have the second problem, so I assume you mean there's a problem with the first. Tohru is very well characterized. She's a genuinely innocent, sweet, giving person who was raised by a mother who instilled those virtues in her every day above all else. I'm sorry that you don't know people like that, but I do. Parents can have that profound effect on their children. (S'why Death Note's Light turned out so bad: his folks didn't get to know him well enough.)

Does everyone automatically like Tohru in Fruits Basket? Not by a long shot, several characters despise her, and those that don't are skeptical about the effect she has had on the other Sohmas. Her actions, detailed in the show as they are, speak her true character and slowly change people's minds about her. It's why the show is so inspirational and moving to many people: it is believable. Right off the bat it's been established that she's kind and selfless: she tries to live on her own before ever imposing on her friends who would have to go out of their way to house her. They don't tell her this, she knows this, and she knows that they would invite her in anyway despite the inconvenience so she doesn't tell them she's homeless at all for their welfare. That's VERY selfless, and it sets up the behavior that carries the rest of the show and saves an entire family from itself.

Which brings up the stakes thing. Is Tohru just a "good person," or is she a heroine, meaning "proactive?" She goes out of her way to make life easier for people that she learns very early on could ruin her life through association with their master and getting too close to the darker secrets.

She gets close anyway, and gets hurt. (image slightly spoilerish)

If there's any doubt to Tohru's proactivity and profound effect on people, the last episode of the series should clinch it. There was nothing unrealistic or robotic about spoiler[the scene where Tohru risks severe beating and having her memories erased to reach out to a man who hates her...and succeeds.]

I'm not saying Tohru should get real far, but she should trump Bruce Wayne the snarky mech pilot for certain.

Group B-14
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Voting for: Taichi Keaton
Reason: He helps everyone he meets, saves lives once or twice, and lest we forget, disarms a bomb with chocolate! Razz

When I say that, I'm not referring to the cleverness of disarming the bomb. The thing I noticed about that scene is that he stayed clutching that thing as it ticked down long before he knew he could deactivate it. He risks his life and reputation repeatedly like that.

I don't much care for his competition here, from what I've read it sounds like he has moral issues...

Group B-15
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry

Voting for: Keiichi
Reason: Just to be contrary, but beyond that, Shannon interested me less and sounded more cliche, although both entries sounded similar. I'm not sure I care either way on this matchup, because...

Group B-16
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
vs.
Sousuke Sagara, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Voting for: Vash the Stampede
Reason: Just like Kenshin, a quintessential hero, one of the first to come to mind when the word is first mentioned.

It may not be necessary, but I will address some quotes against him for the heck of it:

arachneia wrote:
I also think the guide is kind of manipulative in its description of his abilities, because it's not as though he makes some sort of difficult moral decision when he refuses to "destroy all mankind" - simply, that type of thought doesn't enter the equation for him in the first place.

It doesn't have to enter his mind to do so. He is repeatedly mind-controlled throughout the series to force him to do so instead, and he has to fight that. He actually spoiler[fires numerous rounds into his own arm to re-aim his uber-gun "Angel Arm" when it is once again being controlled to destroy people.] So his refusal to destroy mankind is struggling against someone directly controlling his body by hurting himself sometimes, which is quite hardcore.

Aylinn wrote:
Sure he is a clichéd and generic character

Well, I won't go into it just yet because it isn't too important, but Vash is a psychologically complex character, despite being a screwball. Think Maes Hughes but with more layers. Honestly, I've seen online essays about his Oedipus complex, and I do mean more than one essay.

Olliff wrote:
Yes, Vash is a pacifist and this pacifism defines his character, but his reasons for being one are not particularly heroic.

How so? Vash's motives for being a pacifist, besides that it's how he was raised (it's also how Knives was raised, so that doesn't account for much,) are that he absolutely loves humanity. He sees the good in absolutely everybody and wants to give everyone a second chance. The fact that he uses terms of endearment on horribly yucky people, ("my vicious little friend," "pal," "cowboy," etc.) and is not sarcastic about it speaks volumes to this.

So while it could be argued that he's a pacifist because his "mother" was a pacifist, it's just as obvious that he's a pacifist because he chooses to be at great great cost to himself.

Olliff wrote:
Vash in inherently reckless and he causes a lot of destruction without ever taking responsibility.

Why should he take responsibility? It's never his fault. No, really, there's not one incident where he actually damaged someone's property on purpose. Stuff tends to explode while he's fleeing someone who is throwing bombs at him or firing off grenade launchers and he's yelling "Head for the hills!"

He still finds time while fleeing to protect innocent bystanders even if he has to be a meatshield, though. A building might get leveled, but because he's there, no one gets killed.

Olliff wrote:
His character is also defined by such a strong degree of passiveness that I do not find him particularly heroic as a top tier competitor for this tournament.

He's not passive, he's a wanted man. A lot of his actions (going out of his way to reveal his identity to help people he just met,) are very brazen when you consider that he's supposed to be hiding from everyone in the world who wants to kill him for something he didn't do. He rescues enough people per episode for me to consider him proactive, continual escapee from the law or not.

In fact, he's still in wanted mode when he becomes incredibly proactive and decides to hunt down Legato, one of the most evil characters in anime, and look what happened: spoiler[he got tricked, cornered, and mind-controlled into blowing up a city.] Should have stayed down, really. Regardless of when he decides to move forward or stay hidden, every decision he ever makes is in the interest of protecting people from beginning to end, so that's pretty heroic.

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lodossdreams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
vs.
Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

I am up in the air with this 1 but I will give my vote to Yajima Kintaro

Group B-2
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yūjin-Chō
vs.
Tsukushi Makino, Boys over Flowers

Never saw any of these so Tsukushi Makino

Group B-3
Fakir, Princess Tutu
vs.
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka

Eikichi Onizuka

Group B-4
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto (aka Jinto Linn), Crest/Banner of the Stars
vs.
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun

Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto really he did save a lot of lives on planet Lobnas II. Which almost cost him his own.

Group B-5
Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
vs.
Astro Boy, Astro Boy (Note: link is for original 1963 version)

Samatarou Kamiyama

Group B-6
Touma Kamijo, A Certain Magical Index (aka To Aru Majutsu no Index)
vs.
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note

Touma Kamijo

Group B-7
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Jessica Edwards, Legend of the Galactic Hero

Balsa

Group B-8
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
vs.
Christmas, Kurau Phantom Memory

Naruto Uzumaki

Group B-9
Iria, Iria - Zeiram The Animation
vs.
Kurenai Shinkurou, Kurenai

Iria

Group B-10
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Saito Hiraga, The Familiar of Zero

Saito Hiraga

Group B-11
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
vs.
Juliet Capulet, Romeo x Juliet

Noriko Takaya disliked Romeo x Juliet.

Group B-12
Claus Valca, Last Exile
vs.
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Claus Valca

Group B-13
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Tohru Honda

Group B-14
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kazuma, s-CRY-ed

Kazuma

Group B-15
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry

Shannon Casull

Group B-16
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
vs.
Sousuke Sagara, Full Metal Panic! franchise

Sousuke Sagara
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Reason: More a vote against Juliet who is...well...

...a cliche "I am woman" character from a bad show. Okay, she's not completely "Rawr! Gurl power!" but it gets pretty close.

Yes, yes, that's exactly it! I am so sick of seeing this character type, especially in settings where, quite frankly, it makes little sense. Juliet's characterization destroyed what could have been an excellent new take on the old story (I loved how they started off with the feud being over and the Montague family having destroyed the Capulets, but Juliet's antics destroyed it).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Mini-game results. Overall, the cumulative expected predicted the winner of 14 of the matches, while there had been a decent preference for Saya in the match that ended in a tie, and one of the closer match-ups (Gourry/Minamoto) and had an even split in predictions. Predictions were also fairly accurate as to showing which of the matches would be blowouts, although Allison did considerably better than I would have expected from the mini-game guesses.

Olliff's perfect score gives a 2 point lead over second place (there was a mistake in the first score listing for Mad_Scientist), while the remainder of the players range from 14 down to 8. For the most part, there are not yet long losses do to first round guesses, although 3 people have had a Final 8 pick knocked off.

Also, what do I not know about Astro Boy that he's winning by such a landslide? I've seen only one episode (I think it was the oldest series), so I'm trying not to make hasty judgments, but it seemed like kind of a cheesy show. Is being iconic that much of an advantage?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Yes, yes, that's exactly it! I am so sick of seeing this character type, especially in settings where, quite frankly, it makes little sense. Juliet's characterization destroyed what could have been an excellent new take on the old story (I loved how they started off with the feud being over and the Montague family having destroyed the Capulets, but Juliet's antics destroyed it).

I KNOOOOOW. "Strong-willed" women like that, the whiny tarts, are insults to what a real strong woman should be. I can vote for certain characters from bad shows who stand alone with strong traits, but there are some shows out there, let's face it, that are so poor they drag every part within them down. The fact that Romeo and Juliet lost the first round of the Duos tourney to weak sauce should prove how gag-worthy this show is...especially its characterization.

As for the mini-game, I knew I was doing poorly, but...

I'm in last place! I've never been in last place before! This is a new landmark for me! I'm so proud! Laughing

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Also, what do I not know about Astro Boy that he's winning by such a landslide? I've seen only one episode (I think it was the oldest series), so I'm trying not to make hasty judgments, but it seemed like kind of a cheesy show. Is being iconic that much of an advantage?

Look at his competition. A show nobody's seen, and furthermore, a really dumb-looking guide entry and picture. (I don't mean the layout, I mean a description that says nothing, and a pose that says, "I'm a wee bit stoned.") I looked up other information about him on my own, though, and he's still weak sauce. Besides, Astro Boy may be from a corny show, but he's really a good soul and he uses his powers to fight bad city-leveling robots and whatnot, so there you go.

EDIT: Speaking of the guide, I was wondering why Tohru was getting so very pwned this round so far, and now I think I understand. Looking at the guide, far more info is written about Tohru than Smith, but Smith's entry says "He saves the city a lot," and Tohru's kinda says, "She's a nice person."

If I may remedy that, I'd say, "Smith saves the city a lot because that's his job and he gets paid to do it, although he doesn't mind too much," and there are pragmatic reasons as to why he doesn't take credit for the jobs he's pulled...he likes his privacy. He has stringent rules for how his negotiations are carried out, and outside of work, he prefers to be left alone...which is why Dorothy is such a problem initially, hee hee hee.

and,

"Tohru risks abuse, trauma, and puts her own well-being aside time and time again to help a family of extremely psychologically disturbed people all on her own...and succeeds." That's more proactive, and it's 100% true.

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I hate to seem like a jerk, but I'm starting to get tired of the "no generic shounen hero" reason that some folks have thrown around against Naruto. It seems like a double standard when in last week's voting that Goku dominated in his match while being a "generic shounen hero." Sure I could care less about both DBZ and Naruto. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna completely give such characters the boot when matching up their heroics to other characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I hate to seem like a jerk, but I'm starting to get tired of the "no generic shounen hero" reason that some folks have thrown around against Naruto. It seems like a double standard when in last week's voting that Goku dominated in his match while being a "generic shounen hero." Sure I could care less about both DBZ and Naruto. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna completely give such characters the boot when matching up their heroics to other characters.

No, not completely. Ed is technically from a shonen show, so is Goku, and I voted for both of them. And I'll vote for Luffy when he shows up, because all of these characters display selfless actions and protective instincts outside of the fact that they "fight for justice" and get really mad when you beat up their friends.

But they're different from Naruto, Yusuke or Ichigo. Yoh Asakura isn't here, but if he was, I'd kinda throw him in there with the rest of them. Outside of the moments where they have to fight to save the world or whatever, are these guys role models, or are they punk-ass kids with motives to "be the best!!!" The answer is the latter, and that's the dividing ground. If they're not honestly admirable characters without the presence of evil to make them do things, I can't vote for 'em. If the only argument of their selflessness comes up as "They would sacrifice their lives to protect their friends/wayward spirits/the kid in the road," I'd argue "That's it? That's a plot device of all shonen, though. On a regular day, they're obnoxious, immature, lazy, swearing barbell-brains."

So I guess I don't have a "no shonen hero" clause. I have a "can't just be a shonen hero" clause.

Without the homunculi and the military's scummiest around to cause problems in alternating arcs, Ed would still be trying to atone for his sins and recover his brother's body and he'd still be helping the poor and oppressed in hodgepodge towns like Liore, Xenotime and Youswell around the country, despite his temper.

Without the Saiyans crashing to (earth?) to grab the Dragonballs and wreak havoc, Goku would still be taking great care of his wife and kid, training young ones to be good responsible fighters as well as good men, and helping people around the city with whatever they needed with a smile on his face.

Luffy hasn't shown up yet, but I'll give him fair credit when he does, despite the fact he wants to be "king of the pirates," he's a lot more admirable and likable on a day off, bad guys or no bad guys. Take into account the incident with Nico Robin.

^ (HA! I finally know the difference between Nico and Nami! Yay! Anime smile )
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm also having a problem with the "generic shonen hero" complaints being used as excuses for voting against someone, as I also find that a weak and inconsistently-applied argument, but whatever. JesuOtaku's modification to "just generic shonen hero" is more acceptable.

I do, however, have much more of a problem with this comment:

JesuOtaku wrote:
[A Certain Magical Index] may not be shonen, but Touma strikes me as a guy who, like many shonen heroes, "is good because he's the protagonist of a magical show where he rescues cute girls," a Yukito/Yuichi man with action, adventure and injury at stake to kind of bolster his appeal. If someone can give me examples of what separates this guy from the flat and typical "I like to help others even if it hurts me!" flack, or some other kind of character depth that gives him more stake to do what he does, I'd consider him. As it is, I get the feeling he's too shallow to beat Yagami, who the original author called "the only truly good person in Death Note."

Guess I'm just not seeing what the issue is here. Why isn't his desire to rescue and protect people enough? Touma is consistently portrayed as a good-hearted and helpful guy who needs no deep ulterior motives to do what he thinks is right or help out those he's befriended - in some cases even if they adamantly don't want to be helped (though they clearly need it). In fact, I'd say it's his lack of ulterior motives that is one of the strongest supporting arguments in his favor.

Quote:
Voting for: Keiichi
Reason: Just to be contrary, but beyond that, Shannon interested me less and sounded more cliche, although both entries sounded similar.

If Shannon and Keiichi are similar, it is only in the most superficial sense. They are quite different characters.

Quote:
[Referring to Juliet:]I KNOOOOOW. "Strong-willed" women like that, the whiny tarts, are insults to what a real strong woman should be. I can vote for certain characters from bad shows who stand alone with strong traits, but there are some shows out there, let's face it, that are so poor they drag every part within them down. The fact that Romeo and Juliet lost the first round of the Duos tourney to weak sauce should prove how gag-worthy this show is...especially its characterization.

I utterly disagree with this assessment of both the series and character, but since I actually voted for Noriko instead I'll let it pass. But really, "whiny tart?"

On a separate matter, I am somewhat concerned about the way the voting has been going in Group B-10. Saito does sound like he has some worthy heroic traits, but he should be outmatched here. For those not familiar with The Story of Saiunkoku, Shurei not only broke a major gender barrier in her series' setting but she also did so without sacrificing her femininity or compromising her principles. When backed into a corner on one occasion, she does not just rely on a resolute refusal to accede to the boss figure's wishes; with just a few sentences she utterly transforms the power dynamic of the situation, putting herself in charge instead. (This is a wonderful scene that I will recommend as the first clip should she get this far.) And these are far from her only merits.

Really, I haven't seen strong enough arguments in favor of Saito to prove that he deserves to be tied with Shurei at this point.

On another separate note, let's stay away from the "he's only heroic because the series was written to make him like that" argument. By extension, that can be used against nearly any character in the tournament, so it's a weak support for a case against a character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
But they're different from Naruto, Yusuke or Ichigo. Yoh Asakura isn't here, but if he was, I'd kinda throw him in there with the rest of them. Outside of the moments where they have to fight to save the world or whatever, are these guys role models, or are they punk-ass kids with motives to "be the best!!!" The answer is the latter, and that's the dividing ground. If they're not honestly admirable characters without the presence of evil to make them do things, I can't vote for 'em. If the only argument of their selflessness comes up as "They would sacrifice their lives to protect their friends/wayward spirits/the kid in the road," I'd argue "That's it? That's a plot device of all shonen, though. On a regular day, they're obnoxious, immature, lazy, swearing barbell-brains."

You don't seem to take in account that Naruto brought several of the characters in the series to their senses by spoiler[challenging their beliefs on living after such characters suffered tragic events in their pasts and changing these characters for the better after dealing with Naruto in some sort of battle. In Naruto's mind, just because your life's been hell doesn't mean you're the only one who has suffered. The best examples of this being his encounters with Neji and Gaara.

Neji is of lower standing in his clan who blames the main branch for sending his father to his death. Because of how he interpreted these events in his life, the kid had a fatalist mindset thinking one's status in life was irreversible. During his match with Naruto in the Chuunin exams, Naruto made Neji realize how hypocritical his beliefs were as Neji really had the dersire to earn acceptance from the main branch of Hyuugas and that it was possible to overcome dire odds.

Gaara and Naruto faced similar hardships. Both had demons sealed in their bodies and faced prejudice as a result. But while Naruto was fortunate enough to gain acceptance from Iruka and Team 7, Gaara never found such joy as he winded up being deceived from the one person who he thought he could trust. This resulted in Gaara thinking that he had to fight for self-preservation, viewing anyone near him as a threat to his life. Seeing Naruto's determination to ensure the safety of Sasuke and Sakura during their battle while Konoha was being invaded made Gaara realize that the kid had the same hardships as him yet gained acceptance.]

In comparison, I didn't get any sense of Christmas bringing about life-changing inspiration to others. She always clung around Kurau being mostly concerned for her partner's well being and safety. After recently completing Kurau: Phantom Memory, I can certainly see why folks nominated Kurau and she certainly has my support when her matchup pops up. But I just can't say the same thing for Christmas since her heroism was barely present until later in the series and seemed completely focused on Kurau.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 77