• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How difficult is it to recognize a seiyuu?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixolydian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
S.Canton wrote:
I think that once I've heard a person enough I can get a general idea based on their tone, inflection, timbre, etc.

This is the same for me, although it is a bit more difficult given the whole language barrier. I can understand how can be easier for someone to recognize a dub actor, but it does take a lot more time for the kinds of voices you don't hear everyday.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Funny, my experience is strikingly similar to Zalis'.

Zalis116 wrote:
The first J-VA I consistently recognized was Ayako Kawasumi, mainly because watched a string of shows that featured her in gentle/Yamato Nadeshiko roles, like Ai yori Aoshi, Mahoromatic, To Heart, Piano, and Outlaw Star.

Ayako Kawasumi is by far the only seiyū whom I can ALWAYS recognize. One sentence or even just 2-3 words are enough.

Zalis116 wrote:
Like Satsuki Yukino, who plays a lot of outspoken/angry girls.

I can tell her voice >95% of time. However, when she intentionally bends her voice (like Saki spoiler[being forced to enroll a cosplay contest, answering MC's questions on the stage] in Genshiken ep. 11; she returns to Saki's "normal" voice when she spoiler[found the hidden camera]) I wouldn't be able to recognize her immediately.

Zalis116 wrote:
Takehito Koyasu for smooth-talking bishounen.

He's my most recognizable male seiyū, but I wouldn't say he has been typecasted, for in many cases he can be a cold-blooded badass, like Hades in Appleseed movie. Another male seiyū I recognize easily is Jōji (George) Nakata, who often plays calm and cunning masterminds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
The ones that I usually recognize are Takahiro Sakurai and Noto Mamiko, cause they usually use the same voice for all their roles (actually, the roles they usually have are pretty similar too. Takahiro Sakurai always has bishie roles, and Noto Mamiko always has those ojou-sama roles). I can recognize Romi Paku's voice too, but there was one time (when I was watching Kuroshitsuji, I think) I thought it was Romi Paku but it was actually Maaya Sakamoto Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
The only Japanese seiyuu that I can pick up instantly are Romi Paku and Jun Fukuyama. I have a much easier time picking out English VA's
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I'd say for many fans, potentially, they have an easier time picking up English seiyuu.
TheresaJayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
The one which i was talking to a friend about was Rie Kugimiya

Apparently in one role she had the chance to say Urusai Urusai Urusai

Which of course she made famous as her role as Shana.
But looking at her page WOW i never knew she had done so much.

I never pick up the actors because i try to make the characters the important part when i watch. so each series has a different character even if played by the same actor/actress
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The only one i've ever identified with any regularity or confidence is Ryou Hirohashi. But the rest kind of blend together in my ears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Takehito Koyasu for smooth-talking bishounen.

He's my most recognizable male seiyū, but I wouldn't say he has been typecasted, for in many cases he can be a cold-blooded badass, like Hades in Appleseed movie.

Just like you two, I'm also able to recognize Takehito Koyasu in an instant. I used to associate him with Touga Kiryuu from Utena, since it was the role I knew him best for back when I started switching to subs. For the longest time I'd watch anime and be like "Ah! Touga's voice!" The only other male seiyuu I'm able to recognize with any sort of regularity is Mamoru Miyano (and even in his case I'm spotty--I wasn't aware he voiced Kiba from Wolf's Rain until well after I'd seen Ouran Host Club and Death Note--and Kiba was the first role I'd heard him in, 6 years ago. D'oh).

For females, I tend to recognize my favorites fairy easily. Especially Mamiko Noto, whose sweet voice fills me with oodles of fangirlism. But her scope is fairly impressive. I don't know if I'd have recognized her as Neiro in Kaiba, for instance, had I not known it was her beforehand. I find her voice similar to Maaya Sakamoto's, sometimes, depending on the character (usually soft-spoken roles), so I'll occasionally mix them up.

Aya Hisakawa, on the other hand, I can always recognize, even in minor roles. The minute her characters speak I think "Oh, that's Aya." Whether she's using her distinctive Kansai-ben or not. Wink

Mayumi Shintani is another distinctive voice, although she hasn't been in very many things. I wish she'd act more often because I adore her voice.

There are a handful of others, like Aya Hirano, whose voice tends to irk me (although I love her as Konata) and Tomoko Kawakami, who I most recently recognized in Rune Soldier. And the classic greats like Kotono Mitsuishi and Megumi Hayashibara, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The only voice actor I've ever recognised is Nakata Joji, whose distinctive voice was a great asset to Alucard in Hellsing, and the Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuo. Of course, I first knew him as Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef!

Zalis116 wrote:
Saki Kasukabe in Genshiken.

I still get a chuckle from remembering her line from the first episode: "USO!!!!!" ("No way!")

Last edited by eyeresist on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Between Koutetsu Sangokushi, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Master of Mosquiton '99, and the Viewfinder drama CD (all coincidentally consumed, in succession, in the span of about a month and a half), Takehito Koyasu's voice has been drilled into my brain. He and Shinichiro Miki (of too many titles to mention) are probably the only seiyuu I could actually name (okay, maybe Mamoru Miyano too). Otherwise it's more like (as others have mentioned), "Hey, it's the same guy who voiced so-and-so." So I do recognize a lot of (male*) seiyuu, but I can't necessarily think of their names off the top of my head. I think that's pretty common, though. I'm sure I'd do 100x times better if you sat me down, blindfolded, in front of a J-drama and asked me to name an actor by his voice because I can connect the voice to one specific face and therefore remember the name more readily.

*As for female seiyuu... I'm pretty much at a total loss, usually. Not sure why, but I just can't differentiate them nearly as well.

P.S. Where is CCSYueh? She could probably put us all to shame in this area!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ithy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting, trying to recognize voices when watching a new series, and remembering where it comes from. Though it still seems like 75% of all female characters, use almost the same voice. And then there's people like Kugimiya Rie, Noto Mamiko, Hirohashi Ryou and a few others, with instantly recognizable voices.

Male voices seems to be easier to tell apart, recently i recognized Midorikawa Hikaru (Seiran in The story of Saiunkoku) as the main character in Saya no Uta, a gore horror ero visual novel. That was kinda surpricing Surprised
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Heh, after so many years of watching anime, pretty much every new series I watch I find myself picking out at least one seiyuu and going, "oh, it's xxxx!" and then checking the credits after to see if I was right (I usually get it, though there are some that I sometimes mistake for each other, like Hisakawa Aya and Tsuru Hiromi). There are many that are usually instantly recognizable to me: Midorikawa Hikaru, Koyasu Takehito, Miki Shinichiro, Okiayu Ryoutarou, Inoue Kazuhiko, Hayashibara Megumi....the list goes on! Most of those listed here are ones that have been in the business a long time and thus I've already had a lot of exposure to them, but there are newbies joining my list of easily recognizable seiyuu, such as Miyano Mamoru. I heard him in major roles such as Light in Death Note and Tamaki in Ouran, and then was later able to recognize him playing less prominent roles such as Sho in Skip Beat and a minor role in Kyou Kara Maou.

Though I usually recognize seiyuu by speaking voice, there have been a couple of instances where I discovered their identity by other types of vocalizations. When watching one of the Yuu Yuu Hakusho movies, I realized that Tanaka Mayumi was playing Koenma because his cowering noises were similar to Krillin's. Then, watching Kizuna, I didn't realize there was a seiyuu in the cast who was very familiar to me. Then the characters got into a fight scene, and I noticed one character's fighting noises sounded similar to Vegeta, and I was like, holy crap, it's Horikawa Ryou! Anime smile That's when you know you've been watching anime too long....
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
With the anime that I have watched recently, all of them had horrible dubs. Horrible. I can't recognize a seiyuu even if I tried. I have no ear for that kind of thing.
Beldarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
I actually have several seiyuu I can recognize. I just have a very good ear for voices.

MALE
Daisuke Hirakawa - he's extremely easy to recognize due to his peculiar voice.
Takeshi Kusao - my top favorite seiyuu so yeah, I can pretty much tell when he voices a character. Not to mention that he's able to dish out a very distinctive laugh (think Mao from Code Geass).
Kenyuu Horiuchi - it's nigh impossible for me to miss this guy.
Juurouta Kosugi - ...Same with him. (Horiuchi's high school classmate, IIRC.)
Ken Narita - his voice is easy, too, but sometimes I get him and Horiuchi mixed up. :/ Their voices are so similar.
Ryotaro Okiayu - uh? Like anyone has trouble recognizing his voice.
Noriaki Sugiyama - duh.
Naozumi Takahashi - very easy for me.
Sho Hayami - should be easy for pretty much anyone.
Toshihiko Seki - well, yeah? Ha, he's easy.
Tomokazu Seki - even if it was hard to recognize him, his yelling always gives it away. xD
Kenji Hamada - I've started to recognize him better and better.
Others are Hiroshi Kamiya, Kouji Yusa, Katsuyuki Konishi, Kishou Taniyama, Kenichi Suzumura, Kentarou Itou, Masakazu Morita, Hideo Ishikawa, Hikaru Midorikawa, Kazuhiko Inoue, Takehito Koyasu, Shinichiro Miki, Taiten Kusunoki, Toru Ohkawa, Hiroki Takahashi, Daisuke Ono, etc.
Not to mention Hideyuki Tanaka (Star Saber, Leo Aiolia, Clavis and Ben). ...I think Junichi Kanemaru is sort of easy, too. AH. Tomohiro Nishimura and Nozomu Sasaki as well.

FEMALE
Yui Horie - uh, yeah.
Romi Paku - I guess this is normal.
Can't think of any other females... oh wait. Megumi Hayashibara, Yuki Kaida, Yumi Touma and Yuu Asakawa are sort of easy.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
I don't think I instantly recognize any particular voice actor but I do do pretty well when I think "I'm sure I heard this person before. Let's go to ANN to make sure." But man, Rie Kugimiya and Romi Park have always been weird to me. I recognize their voices and like them, but for some reason it never clicks to me that its them even though the two tend to work along the same character types. It usually takes a very random moment or instant that makes my brain connect and realize "Oh... she did that character too." like for Romi, it has to be when she yells or screams. And for Rie... well now that I think about it, I don't realize it is her until I actually look up the character on ANN. Like I said; weird.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5