• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass R2, Naruto Go on Hiatus on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
In terms of the Code Geass dub debate. here's a crazy idea: for those who don't like the dub, but have signed up for Nielsen ratings (or however it works), why not just have it on the channel and mute it while you do something else? I know, it's an INSANE idea, but it just might work! Wink

Seriously, when my family was signed up for the week, I turned on CN when the Naruto fillers were on and muted it and went to do something else (normally I would've watched as I think the Naruto dub is underrated, but I hate the filler-thon of Part 1). Cheating? Well, whatever gets the job done. Smile

Anyway, I think CN is idiotic for removing Naruto. Leaving ONE anime series on their non-AS schedule is hardly going to scare away their new target audience, and even if the ratings dropped during the fillers, I'm sure they'd bump back up again once Shippuden started. While Adult Swim actually seems to make rational moves regarding when they remove anime due to ratings, CN is just random. Once One Piece got the Funi dub, the ratings went up, and THEN it was cancelled (so how did the 4Kids dub survive so long with its low ratings?), and now Naruto.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
I really hope Geass returns pretty soon. It's one of the few shows on Adult Swim I watch. To take a break at a turning point as well. Talk about bad timing for a break.

As for this whole dub bru ha ha, I like it and if you don't, I don't care. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
ACK, this is driving me nuts. Seriously, why can't they just move Bleach to weekdays (just like they did w/ Inuyasha) and finish the thing more quickly? Then instead they could have 2 episodes of Geass (of course new).

And seriously whats w/ them and 6teen (and not to mention that damn TDI)? They already have those coming out dozens of times in a single week. Just 2 weeks of CN filled w/ only new Naruto episodes and it will be finished. Do that then go on hiatus
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
I really hope Geass returns pretty soon. It's one of the few shows on Adult Swim I watch. To take a break at a turning point as well. Talk about bad timing for a break.

As for this whole dub bru ha ha, I like it and if you don't, I don't care. :P

I agree with you. Even though I don't really watch Code Geass ( I might because Johnny Bosh is in it though through Netflix), I just hope this all works out. Bleach is one of the very, very few shows I actually watch on AS and I've enjoyed every episode.

If one doesn't like English dubs, fine, that is your option. As for me, I enjoy English dubs and that is my option. One could always rent/buy the dvds and watch the showed in subtitles. There isn't a law that states one must watch all dvds or shows in English.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
[expletive] CN
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:
ACK, this is driving me nuts. Seriously, why can't they just move Bleach to weekdays (just like they did w/ Inuyasha) and finish the thing more quickly? Then instead they could have 2 episodes of Geass (of course new).

Bleach dubbing isn't that much further ahead of the dub either. I believe the last report a couple months ago suggested they had just started 110 so that they are likely somewhere in the 120s now. They would run out of episodes very quickly. Inuyasha was much farther ahead in dubbing than Bleach was. Geass clearly doesn't have enough episodes ready to finish with double episodes. They are putting it on hiatus for seven weeks after all. It sort of sounds like they might do double premieres (or repeat/premiere) till the end at that point though.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well, Bleach will go into double premieres on April 18th once they end the current filler arc. It looks like Code Geass will return with new episodes May 2nd.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that they started showing reruns of Naruto... It's my theory that cartoon network couldn't get Shippuden so their throwing in the white flag just stopped showing it at all since they can't air Shpppuden.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching dubbed Naruto after episode 135. I'm still waiting for Shippuden to start here (I watch it subbed).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i fail to see the logic in doing this. since Code Geass R2 is already past halfway point, i doubt it's a dubbing issue.

That's exactly why it's most likely a dubbing issue, or at the very least a materials issue. Code Geass R2 finished airing in Japan something like two or three months ago, so we're looking at a (give or take) four-month gap between the premiere of episode 15 on [as] and its original Japanese premiere. That's a remarkably fast turn-around time as far as domestic broadcasts are concerned. With that thin margin for error, the slightest hold-up in the dubbing process could mean that the broadcast flat-out needs to be delayed. And that's assuming that the delay originates on the American side of the process...it could be just as likely (if not even more so) that there's a hold-up on the Japanese side of things in getting Bandai the necessary materials (read: video, scripts) to finish dubbing the series. Perhaps the final DVD versions of the last few episodes haven't even been completely finished in Japan. There are any number of logistical reasons that might necessitate this hiatus.

It occurs to me that I always find myself getting incredibly annoyed by the general response in these sorts of threads, but then I remember that I've been watching [as] for over four years now, and there's literally nothing under the sun they could pull at this point that I haven't had to deal with before. The world's a far happier place if one lets oneself succumb to apathy. Razz
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I stopped watching dubbed Naruto after episode 135. I'm still waiting for Shippuden to start here (I watch it subbed).

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw an episode of Shippuden on ANN video the other day. But that could have been a trailer or something of that nature.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I blame the fans who refuse to watch Code Geass on adult swim because it's in "Lol, English"

To be fair, it is an absolutely horrendous dub, especially by recent Bandai standards. That said, wow. Dick move, CN. As usual. I'd be insanely pissed off if I hadn't seen it all already. I seem to be one of the few that absolutely loved R2 from beginning to end.

If that's your idea of horrendous than don't ever watch a dub from the early 90s you'd end up committing suicide

Bit late for that. Geass was still awful. JYB didn't put any emotion into Lulu at all, I wanted to throttle Nunally, etc. To be honest, most of the cast wasn't bad. Cornelia was good, Suzaku was good, C.C. was pretty good. But such a pivotal, powerful character as Lelouch sounding completely half-assed practically ruins the show.

RoverTX wrote:
I would pay to watch SongstressCela watching the first 12 EP of Slayers Season One.

Been there, done that. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Bit late for that. Geass was still awful. JYB didn't put any emotion into Lulu at all, I wanted to throttle Nunally, etc. To be honest, most of the cast wasn't bad. Cornelia was good, Suzaku was good, C.C. was pretty good. But such a pivotal, powerful character as Lelouch sounding completely half-assed practically ruins the show.

What the hell are you talking about? JYB has put enough emotion into lelouch anymore would have been completely out of character.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Bandai, Bandai, Bandai....why do you keep making pirating your nonsence moraly easy for me? I'd love to support Beez with Gundam 00 and Code Geass (whenver they so choose to remove thier finger from thier behinds to do so) but you not suporting me with Gundam 00 and Geass (Untill such a time) means that my money can now go to the finer things in life like the big Kenshin manga volumes, Black Jack and maybe the entire set of Digimon Zero-oh right, internatioal leage of no UKers, nm me.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:

EDIT: A whole channel devoted to anime on basic/regular television sounds like a nice idea but anime is still too much of a niche marketing to do that.

You don't know how much I would love that D:

@Topic: I don't really care cause sadly I don't have cable so I have no choice to watch it online at Funi, Bandai, hulu, joost, or crunchyroll atm until I get some money rolling in.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7