• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Doujin Work DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I bought Lucky Star volume one simply because Wandee Lee was in the show.

Ditto. I actually wasn't even a big Lucky Star fan, but it's the dub that got me to purchase it anyway. xD Just the trailer alone cracked me enough to go grab the show. I do need to pick up the rest, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I bought Lucky Star volume one simply because Wandee Lee was in the show.

Ditto. I actually wasn't even a big Lucky Star fan, but it's the dub that got me to purchase it anyway. xD Just the trailer alone cracked me enough to go grab the show. I do need to pick up the rest, though...

Same here, I didn't even like Lucky Star before I watched the trailer. I even got a good friend of mine who typically only watches subtitles to go buy the first volume. I've rented the rest through Netflix, but I highly reccomend this series. Normally I can't stand moe at all, but the clean humor and energy makes Lucky Star "moeness" more talerable.

But in all seriousness though, if I was going to spend thirty-fourty dollars for a dvd, there'd have to be a dub. But since Netflix has a vast quantity of anime, I typically rent from them. Karin and the Lucky Star and OVA are a exception to that of course
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
You say superfluous. I do not think that word means what you think it means. From Princeton: "superfluous: serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being." Clearly, if a dub is needed to get me and others to purchase a series, I dare say it is anything but superfluous.

lawl. Of course I know what it means, and the first definition is exactly what I had in mind (the second is less accurate) -- if I'm understanding your initial post correctly, you enjoyed Doujin Work when you saw it fansubbed. If you watched it subbed and you liked it subbed, then the dub track is somewhat superfluous. I was being a little facetious.

SongstressCela wrote:
Why should I pay for a product I feel isn't up to par? As much as My Anime link will prove I certainly support the industry, I do not have an obligation to pay for something I feel is substandard, regardless of whether or not I like the source material.

From The American Heritage Dictionary: Subpar: Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production.

You said you LIKED Doujin Work, so clearly it is not subpar.

Did you ever consider maybe Media Blasters couldn't AFFORD to make a dub track? You should be happy Doujin Work got a domestic release at all. Since you ignored my question about anime production companies crumbling, I'm bolding this one in the hopes that you will answer it.

SongstressCela wrote:
Yuri is the only thing I will purchase subbed, because for god knows what reason no one will ever dub it ever. -_-

Protip: BL (AKA yaoi) titles aren't dubbed and neither are 2/3 of the "adult" titles (I just checked RightStuf's catalog to verify this). It's because they (BL, yuri, and to a lesser degree, H) are super niche and may potentially die away in obscurity, wasting the money they spent on trying to get it out to English-speaking audiences.

SongstressCela wrote:
It's the same reason I love Tenjou Tenge but refused to purchase the American manga.

Congratulations. People like you are the reason the industry is taking a nosedive, its employees getting sacked and entire companies going out of business. And that there is a witch hunt against fansubs and scanlations.

If you prefaced your "Screw non-dubbed anime" with how you're a starving college student or one of the thousands of people who have lost their jobs, I'd sympathize, but refusing to support works you actually enjoy burns my ass.

rg4619 wrote:
That's the trouble when illicit distribution devalues the original product to nothing. To convince some fansub watchers (who're possibly watching more shows than they can feasibly buy) to purchase DVDs, the releases must contain added value, be it an English dub or lavish packaging.

On the contrary, I know I'm not the only fansub viewer who, upon the release of a show they adored upon viewing it fansubbed, is more than happy to purchase it, regardless of the extras they throw in. It's about supporting the people that made the stuff we liked (and being able to watch it in our DVD players since a lot of subs are in FLV).

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
With Doujin Work, if there was a English audio, I probably would rent the series from Netflix and if I thought the series was well done, tell others about it and then maybe buy it. But there isn't a English audio on a dvd, then there would be no point for me to buy it. But typically I rent movie legally from Netflix.

And that's the crux of the matter here: Netflix is still supporting the people that bring us anime we enjoy (thanks Answerman).
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

I never said it was. I said the product was.

LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
Did you ever consider maybe Media Blasters couldn't AFFORD to make a dub track?

This would make a lot more sense if Media Blasters didn't dub plenty already, and pretty much being completely haphazard in what they choose to dub or not dub. Niche yuri titles aside, their choices are utterly random. No, they certainly could have afforded to dub it if they wanted to. Especially given the short length of the series, on top of that.

I'm not sure what companies crumbling has to do with this, unless you're using it as a reason why they supposedly had no money to dub the series. Otherwise, they're just putting forth a subpar product that I have no interest in.

It's the same reason Geneon went under (partially), they released expensive products that didn't conform with a changing industry, people considered the releases subpar, and thus didn't pay for them. If Media Blasters wants my money, they have to have a product that I'm interested in, not just a license. I'm not going to buy Sola or True Tears from Bandai either, because I'll be damned, again, if I'm going to support the lack of dubs on every new slice of life show ever.

Hell, supporting this kind of release just makes it more likely shows I like even more (Toradora comes to mind) will never get a dub. No thanks.

Quote:

Protip:

No comment.
Quote:

It's because they (BL, yuri, and to a lesser degree, H) are super niche and may potentially die away in obscurity

Okay, perhaps I worded things wrong. I don't watch hentai, lol. I mean shoujo-ai. There's no reason Marimite, Strawberry Panic, Simoun, etc, couldn't have been dubbed. After all, Kannazuki and Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora were.

Quote:
Congratulations. People like you are the reason the industry is taking a nosedive, its employees getting sacked and entire companies going out of business.

Hahahahah, what? I probably purchase more anime than most people on this board, I certainly buy more than anyone I know personally, etc. Would you like a picture of the several hundred DVDs I have shelved? Would you like another picture of the dozens that I don't even have room to place properly just yet but keep buying because I appreciate the companies' work and their releases? Never mind the fact I write for the industry, and I'll be up one heck of a creek if there's suddenly nothing to write about.

I'm still not sure where you get off thinking it's anyone's obligation to support the industry if it isn't releasing products they're interested in. I'm about as anti-piracy as anyone and I've purchased nearly every series I've enjoyed on fansub (and have a "To Buy list" of what can't be afforded at the moment...pocketbook isn't -that- limitless...) as long as it's been given a quality release. Until now, that wasn't an issue.

Quote:
And that there is a witch hunt against fansubs and scanlations.

I don't even -read- scanlations, I hate reading on the computer. As for fansubs, I've destroyed every disc I've ever made as soon as a domestic release for a series was announced.

Quote:
If you prefaced your "Screw non-dubbed anime" with how you're a starving college student or one of the thousands of people who have lost their jobs, I'd sympathize, but refusing to support works you actually enjoy

Actually I am a starving grad student, and I -would- lose my job...if the industry goes down the crapper. Rather personal investment, I'd say. And again, you fail to make the connection between "works you enjoy" and "products you enjoy." Once more, no one is under any obligation to purchase a series they don't approve of just for some "Industry solidarity" or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
My aside comment about Ah My Buddha was kind of a joke.
I thought, here is something that Media Blaster's decided to dub, it must be good.
After the first disc, I did some research. 26 episodes. The joke was wearing old after three episodes. And they chose this series to dub?

Are they on a mission to lose money?

I got volume 2 in of Doujin Work, and for what animation there is, it is still hilarious. But I do not think there is enough there to dub and make a profit on. It just puzzles me why they thought Ah My Buddha might make money for them.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree on the strangeness, though it's not a terrible show. I expect they're banking on the popularity of harem in general to make it sell just based on the premise alone. Single disc releases though...eh. I'm buying it just to support their dubs, but I don't think many will. Would have really been a better idea to go with the 2-packs that are becoming more common.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

I never said it was. I said the product was.

They're the same thing as far as I'm concerned. If it was good enough for you when you watched it fansubbed, it should be good enough for you with official subs.

SongstressCela wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
Did you ever consider maybe Media Blasters couldn't AFFORD to make a dub track?

This would make a lot more sense if Media Blasters didn't dub plenty already, and pretty much being completely haphazard in what they choose to dub or not dub.

Maybe they can't afford to dub everything? Or they only dub titles that they think will be particularly mainstream/successful?

SongstressCela wrote:
I'm not sure what companies crumbling has to do with this...

Because you stated you liked the fansub but refuse to buy the product just because it didn't have a dub track. But you already liked it in Japanese! If you liked it, then it isn't subpar!

SongstressCela wrote:
It's the same reason Geneon went under (partially), they released expensive products that didn't conform with a changing industry, people considered the releases subpar, and thus didn't pay for them.

lol wut. Geneon went under because they paid a lot of money for a majillion titles and not enough people bought them (probably because they were really expensive). I don't have a Geneon release or have I seen one that DIDN'T have a dub track, and since that's what you consider to be a "good product," Geneon isn't a very good example for your argument.

Hell, some of Geneon's extras were my favorites -- I bought the entirety of the Texhnolyze serious at full price (ouch) largely due to their tantalizing DVD 1 + empty box that came with the excellent soundtrack. I'll admit their prices pissed me off sometimes and I had a huge chip on my shoulder with them for years over the cost of their Fushigi Yuugi sets but that didn't stop me from picking up stuff I really liked by then.

Seriously, does anyone besides you and apparently die-hard dub actor fans buy anime based on how many extras or what kind of packaging it has or whether or not it has dubs? If you like the show and you've got the money, not buying it and supporting the people who made it seems insulting, thankless, and ingratiating.

The fact remains, however, that people probably watched a lot of Geneon's titles fansubbed but refused to buy the product. People like you. So they went under.

SongstressCela wrote:
If Media Blasters wants my money, they have to have a product that I'm interested in, not just a license. I'm not going to buy Sola or True Tears from Bandai either, because I'll be damned, again, if I'm going to support the lack of dubs on every new slice of life show ever.

Hell, supporting this kind of release just makes it more likely shows I like even more (Toradora comes to mind) will never get a dub. No thanks.

All right. *shrugs*

SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
It's because they (BL, yuri, and to a lesser degree, H) are super niche and may potentially die away in obscurity

Okay, perhaps I worded things wrong. I don't watch hentai, lol. I mean shoujo-ai. I figured that out when you said There's no reason Marimite, Strawberry Panic, Simoun, etc, couldn't have been dubbed. After all, Kannazuki and Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora were.

I don't watch hentai either. =P I just checked for confirmation. I have watched some BL titles before though (I remember watching Fake on a dubbed VHS like ten years ago), and I just assume that if they don't dub most BL titles anymore because they're super niche, they probably don't dub as many shoujo ai titles except for the more famous ones (I'm surprised Maria-sama ga Miteru doesn't have a dub).

SongstressCela wrote:
Hahahahah, what? I probably purchase more anime than most people on this board, I certainly buy more than anyone I know personally... but [I] keep buying because I appreciate the companies' work and their releases?

Well, that was my initial accusation. =P

SongstressCela wrote:
I'm still not sure where you get off thinking it's anyone's obligation to support the industry if it isn't releasing products they're interested in.

That's where I object, though -- if you watched it fansubbed and you liked it, then you like the product. You just care more about the dub actors than the rest of the production team, etc.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or they only dub titles that they think will be particularly mainstream/successful?

Clearly. That doesn't mean it's going to be successful with me.

Quote:
Seriously, does anyone besides you and apparently die-hard dub actor fans buy anime based on how many extras or what kind of packaging it has or whether or not it has dubs?

I don't really care if it has extras, though I absolutely adore commentary tracks when they're added. It's ridiculous to act like expecting an english language track on an english language release is some horribly uncalled for requirement.

Quote:
People like you.

What part of "I buy everything I enjoy as long as it gets an appropriate release" are you finding so hard to grasp? Anime dazed

Quote:
if you watched it fansubbed and you liked it, then you like the product. You just care more about the dub actors than the rest of the production team, etc

Not really, no. If there was some other way to support it I would. Hell, if I was fluent enough in Japanese I'd just buy R2 DVDs to support them directly. But I'm not supporting changes in the R1 market.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Nobody cares if it's "successful with you" or not.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Very insightful, as always. See, we're talking about why I am not purchasing Doujin Work. Being successful or not with me in particular is kind of the entire point of this debate.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Very insightful, as always. See, we're talking about why I am not purchasing Doujin Work. Being successful or not with me in particular is kind of the entire point of this debate.

Which is a pointless discussion because this DVD has no dub and you have gone very far out of your way to make sure every single user on these fourms knows that SongstressCela does not buy DVDs that do not have dubs.

We know.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
if you watched it fansubbed and you liked it, then you like the product. You just care more about the dub actors than the rest of the production team, etc

Not really, no. If there was some other way to support it I would. Hell, if I was fluent enough in Japanese I'd just buy R2 DVDs to support them directly. But I'm not supporting changes in the R1 market.

Haha, yeah right. Not only do they not have dubs (of course, and I know you know this) but they cost a FORTUNE compared to domestic anime DVDs (enjoy your $60 USD for 2-4 episodes). You'd still be raging even if you were fluent.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

But it's not just SongstressCela...

I had never heard of this title until I noticed this sitting on the shelf behind the counter today when I went to buy Lucky Star 6. The title captured my attention as I really enjoyed Comic Party and Genshiken. I asked what it was about and the sales clerk confirmed that it's probably similar to Comic Party. Wanting to check some online reviews before paying my hard-earned cash on a blind purchase, I came to trusty ANN to do my research. It was all good until the dreaded "There is no English track" statement at the bottom. Sad

I understand publishers have to do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding whether or not to dub a release. I understand the economy is rough and companies have to make their releases profitable, even if that means alienating one part of the market to focus on another part. And if the release was a profitable one, they did their jobs right and get to license another title.

But it sure is frustrating for us dub fans. For us, anime without a dub is like cookies without milk. You gotta have milk! Wink

Regarding the review, I'm really glad the reviewer noted that lack of an English dub track. It is a decisive piece of information that will determine my purchasing decision.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Zac wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

But it's not just SongstressCela...

I had never heard of this title until I noticed this sitting on the shelf behind the counter today when I went to buy Lucky Star 6. The title captured my attention as I really enjoyed Comic Party and Genshiken. I asked what it was about and the sales clerk confirmed that it's probably similar to Comic Party. Wanting to check some online reviews before paying my hard-earned cash on a blind purchase, I came to trusty ANN to do my research. It was all good until the dreaded "There is no English track" statement at the bottom. :(

I understand publishers have to do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding whether or not to dub a release. I understand the economy is rough and companies have to make their releases profitable, even if that means alienating one part of the market to focus on another part. And if the release was a profitable one, they did their jobs right and get to license another title.

But it sure is frustrating for us dub fans. For us, anime without a dub is like cookies without milk. You gotta have milk! :wink:

Regarding the review, I'm really glad the reviewer noted that lack of an English dub track. It is a decisive piece of information that will determine my purchasing decision.

Same here. I might might rent a subbed only dvd, but I'll never ever buy a sub only dvd. To me that would be a complete waste of money that could be spent else where. It's a shame that Doujin Work didn't get a dub and garbage like Ah My Budda did. Probably would have really enjoyed Doujin Work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2