• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV to Premiere Pretty Cure on March 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-imi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
No! Not on the night Watchmen comes out! DDD:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to tape it. Confused
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:

YTV should do next day repeats as well in the early morning. You might want to check on that.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:

Note that it's 7:30am on Friday, not pm.

But yeah, there is the Saturday repeat at 1pm.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'll be very interested to see how this is handled.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
If it's 4Kids, then it's gonna be a bad dub.

Why couldn't it have been 4Kids instead of Geneon? Mad
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
YTV uses a 4 hr turn over so they have 4 hrs of repeat every 6 hrs with 2 hrs used for their new content.

whatever show is their top can be seen rebroadcasted 3-4 times a day. its funny their time table doesn't show it but just leave YTV on for a full 24 hrs and you'll see mondays 4 hr block will be repeated throughout the day then tuesdays...etc..

one problem with this is people don't rewatch the same shows 2-3 times each day so they guarantee that a percentage of their days will lose audience because they have already seen whats being broadcast.

when YTV stops wasting money on the VJ's/hosts daily garbage maybe they will have a budget to add newer content and actually fill the time slots so they can retain a full audience following.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
justdave wrote:

Though having looked at the YTV site, the way the description of the show is worded shows a lot of promise. For one, they're actually calling the bad guys "the Dark Zone." Toei's official subtitles and the demo dub they were passing around trying to sell licensing all used "Dotsuku Zone" which not only sounded bad, but sounded like it was transliterated in reverse or something (it was plainly obvious in the original Japanese audio they were using the English "Dark Zone" as their name - why not keep it?)

Actually, no, the original was supposed to be "Dotsuku Zone" = "Dusk Zone", not Dark Zone.

That Dark Zone was a translation choice the fansubber, i.e. ME, chose many years ago because "Dusk Zone" sounded off to me.

It looks to me like whoever wrote the dub script was familiar with my fansubs because they've chosen very similar conventions... Dark Zone, Garden of Light (instead of "Field of Light" like Toei' website has), etc... it might be a coincidence but I'd like to think my subs ended up influencing the dub script a bit Smile.
As long as there's no Mass naked child events...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
If this is the best YTV is going to offer anime fans, then that's pretty pathetic. This is clearly for the kids. I'd like to see YTV pick up some more new series for friday or saturday evenings. I remember when YTV used to show anime at a decent hour, and the zone lineup was mostly anime. Why can't they make similar efforts for decent anime these days?

Not unless it's being shown by bionix. Also i remembered reading a news clip here stating that 4kids longer had the license,otherwise it would've shown on 4kidsTV. Hell,there's not even one trace of it on the site,It's just like when the license for one piece was changed.

Pepperidge wrote:
The timeslots aren't really that bad, especially since they're going for younger audiences. Far worse shows have done well with similar treatment. Not to mention that it will likely be back-to-back with Pokemon on Saturdays. I'm just glad it didn't end up on the graveyard that is Saturday nights.

ChronoBall X wrote:
Hopley this dub won't be as bad as the cardcaptors

That's very unlikely. Toei is handling the localization themselves for this series, and their past televised efforts haven't been bad.

They'll apparently be using Ocean Studios in Vancouver for the dubbing, so at the very least we should expect a product several steps above the Sailor Moon S and SuperS dubs. I am curious about how the show is going to be localized, though!

Most important,since Ocean Studios and not the regular 4kids VA is dubbing this,it may mean a different English Company has the license,if that's the case,this series may end up similar to the Viz dubs of Zatch Bell or naruto which were preety decent for the younger audience, SO either though it's not in the US,i'll definately be taking a good interest on how it turns out.

Hopefully for the series sake,lets just hope that 4kids DONT have the license, otherwise it'll end up getting destroyed like Tokyo Mew Mew or like the awful Nelvana's version of CCS (Card Captors Sakura)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
Look, 4kids does NOT have the license, and they might never have had it in the first place since there's no evidence more than Al Kahn saying so as a side remark at an unrelated panel. There was never a press release or any official confirmation.

This is a deal between YTV and Toei, and it's being dubbed in Canada, presumably at the same studio where Powerpuff Girls Z was being dubbed... (which is not a good thing, frankly, as that dub is reportedly horrid).
ShampooEater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
this show should die a horrible death. and it will. Smile

frickin ytv should get some anime. im sick of naruto and bleach.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
But even if this is an "evocative" way to get this show on the air, I still wonder if it will work? I mean, has it been proven that ratings are good on Friday morning and Saturday afternoon? While some kids have time to watch shows in the Eastern time zone, kids living in the Central and Western time zones have to be at school on Friday. Confused

And isn't Saturday afternoon a dumping ground for bad anime anyway? I mean...didn't Knights of the Zodiac and Idaten Jump get dumped there?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ShampooEater wrote:
this show should die a horrible death. and it will. Smile

frickin ytv should get some anime. im sick of naruto and bleach.

Perhaps I don't want to know, but... what's so horrible about it?

It's a pretty good show for something aimed at girls 5-12 years old.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Now you can stop whining about how you never get the good shows over there in Canada. You have Pretty Cure on TV, we don’t. Anime hyper
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the notion that this is a good thing. Pretty Cure isn't Cardcaptor Sakura, from the admittedly small amount I've sampled, but it's an excellent choice for young kids. All the other "kids" shows (Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto... yes, I said it) served as gateways into anime for a lot of people. The most common complaint and reason behind the shrinkage of the anime market has been the lack of anime on TV.

A new audience is born every minute. This show will serve as a gateway to some of that new generation. It will be localized, the dub may not satisfy hardened fans, but it's a turnaround step in the right direction and should only be a positive for the anime industry and its fans.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
For all those questioning the current timeslots, it appears that Pretty Cure will also be running on Sunday mornings at 8am. ANN may want to note this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4