• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect Collection vs. 6 DVD (Separate Volumes)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmy727

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:50 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone, with the release of two more PERFECT (COMPLETE) COLLECTION:

Excel Saga - Perfect Collection (2004-07-06)
Devil Lady - Complete Collection (2004-07-06)

I was curious to see what many of you Anime Collectors prefer. Do many go (or upgrade) to the Perfect/Complete Collection so that all 6-DVDs are in 1 nice package? Or would you rather collect the individual volumes/cases for the artwork, etc....

other examples:
Bubblegum Crisis 2040: Perfect Collection
Knight Hunters: W.Kreuz: Complete Collection
Martian Successor Nadesico: Complete Chronicles
Orphen: Perfect Collection

etc....
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
You get more out of individual cases, because many collectors will go by the first volume, get hooked and whine because they want the rest...I say make 'em wait. The longer they wait the more they save to by the complete set. But you can't make us wait to long or we may come knocking down office doors for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:39 am Reply with quote
blood_rein: that made little-to-no sense.

Now, what you're arguing is bricks vs. individuals. Perfect Collections can take up any form they choose I geuss.

I prefer individuals, but don't mind bricks.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quote
Now that I think of it. I really didn't what the hell was I thinking. Maybe drinking and typing don't work out hmm? But I have to agree that individuals are better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
My understanding was that if something is called a 'Perfect Collection' or similar that it was generally a bootleg...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather collect the individual volumes of something since it's just easier for me to buy one disk at a time, even if it turns out to be slightly more expensive overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
That is true.
tmy727

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
True... individual volumes would be easier to replace if scratched / damaged / etc.

.... but then sometimes the separate volumes gets scattered in different places and sometimes lost.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm not typically big on most DVD covers, and I prefer the space it saves, I'm all for the "brick" collections. I don't know if I'll be purchasing the Excel Saga one though since I'm only missing one DVD. Smile

It's also easier to lend out if a friend wants to watch a series, and I've had a DVD go missing before, which is less likely with a big brick, since it's all in one place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Excel Saga box set is going to be an actual set with a box.

I don't really care if the set is a box or a single case, though.
aoi777

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:09 am Reply with quote
Well I don't mind either way. Individuals are nice becuase it look neater on the shelf. It takes up more room, so it look nicer. I have a few perfect collections, and it cost less than buying themas individuals. I like the collections where you get the art-box and they come as individuak cases.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing as how I'm a cheapskate (Razz,) I'd prefer any kind of box set or perfect collection I could get, R1 of course, unless there obviously isn't a box set for a particular series I like, such as Gate Keepers.

Then, if that happens to be the case, I just use good ol' eBay to find brand new DVDs cheap. Wink
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
ZahmiraV wrote:
My understanding was that if something is called a 'Perfect Collection' or similar that it was generally a bootleg...

not always true. though more often then not that is how it is on ebay.

I just do which ever is more convenient. If a series I'm buying is already in a brick I'll just buy that but will get individual dvds in that is all that is available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1