• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seriously, Viz is my least favorite anime publisher.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
They don't have much to get excited for. They take forever to release a show. When they do release a show they never release an artbox for it. And when they do release a show it takes forever for them to release the next installment unless it's Naruto. And they're always dropping shows like Zatch Bell, Prince of Tennis, and I wouldn't be surprised if the first three volumes of Monster don't do well they're going to drop that.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot that Viz Media actually releases anime. I do agree that they just churn out the stuff that sells. After all, they are a business and they want to make money. It does irk me that a few rows at Best Buy shelf is all Death Note or Naruto.

I still am waiting for the Honey and Clover anime but Viz Media is taking so damn long with it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, viz isn't the greatest when it comes to anime. But then again they are first and for most a manga company, so you can't blame them to much. But they better treat Monster good. I've been looking forward to the release of that series for some time now and I don't want it getting dropped half way through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Now that you mention it the only thing I care about from them and actually collect is the Bleach sets and related movie(s) and Buso Renkin as well but that show is complete now. I used to collect Naruto as well but I stopped after the 6th set.

I will DEFINITELY buy Monster though when it comes out. That series is pretty much the best anime I've ever seen and I've been waiting for it forever. They better treat it right otherwise I'll have someone's head on a stick.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think I own a single Viz DVD. They don't really have anything of interest. I don't hold that against them though. Just because they don't cater to someone like me hardly makes them a 'bad' publisher.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well, overall I like Viz. They release boxsets of Naruto and Bleach in a timely manner (it's not Viz's fault that CN puts the show on haitus every now and then). They released all of Death Note and Inuyasha, and seem to be releasing all of Hunter x Hunter (just the anime, I don't think they have the OVAs licensed). And Monster and Honey & Clover (have no interest in NANA) are reportedly being released this year. All their canceled series never really interested me save MAR (and I'd probably stick to the manga of that one).

So while I do understand why some anime fans do detest them, I don't have anything against them personally.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
I usually don't watch Viz stuff, and I'm not big on Shonen Jump, but I will say this...

They aren't 4Kids

So they get my respect based on that.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Hmm, well, overall I like Viz. They release boxsets of Naruto and Bleach in a timely manner (it's not Viz's fault that CN puts the show on haitus every now and then). They released all of Death Note and Inuyasha

Are you kidding about Inuyasha? Look how long it took them to release each boxset.

Inu Yasha - Season 1 DVD Box Set (DVD) 2004-09-07
Inu Yasha - Season 2 Box Set (DVD) 2005-11-08
Inu Yasha - Season 3 DVD Box Set (DVD) 2006-09-13
Inu Yasha - Season 4 DVD Box Set (DVD) 2007-09-04
Inu-Yasha - Season 5 Box Set (DVD) 2008-07-29
Inu Yasha - Season 6 Box Set (DVD) 2008-12-02
It looks like after season 5 they started to release it at a more reasonable rate but they're still done yet though. And it looks they're going to pull the same thing with Bleach. But, they were quick with DN.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
I said Naruto and Bleach were timely releases (Bleach comes out as fast as it can considering Adult Swim's random scheduling, lest we forget the hiatus after episode 52), not Inuyasha. Besides, Inuyasha falls into my "guilty pleasure" category, so it's not a show I'm in a mad rush to own (still only have Seasons 1-4 right now). Also deserves props for releasing that 4-movie pack. More shonen series with tons of movies should do that, DBZ just started with 2-movie packs and it's been around forever in R1.

Besides, like I said, they released Hunter x Hunter, a show I had given up hope seeing released here (it's like, what, 8-9 years old?). That makes me forgive them for quite a bit. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim has absolutely nothing to do with the production, dubbing or any other aspect of the series though. They're a broadcaster, they only air episodes which VIZ gives them. The fact that AS's broadcast is already in the early hundreds by now (which means those episodes are "done" but not available on DVD) proves that they're not releasing the series as fast as they could.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Viz is publishing Naoki Urasawa's works. That makes them a winner in my book. I can't wait to pick up the first volume of Pluto.

And you know what? Naruto is not a half-bad manga. It's longwinded and pretty standard Shonen fare, but as manga junk food it's pretty satisfying, imo.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
Viz is publishing Naoki Urasawa's works. That makes them a winner in my book. I can't wait to pick up the first volume of Pluto.

I agree with you on that one, I love Pluto. This is why I think they would do better by just sticking with manga. they seem to usually do a better job with manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mushi-Man"]
abynormal wrote:
This is why I think they would do better by just sticking with manga. they seem to usually do a better job with manga.

Yeah, I noticed this too. What I like about them is that most of their manga (that I've bought) aren't as expensive as say Del Rey or CMX. There's really only one company that I liked better than them, but that company recently had to close (a lot of you can probably figure out this one). They're the only company that I've only been constantly pleased with, especially with the fact that lately all of the manga I buy from TokyoPop lately is covered in typos and grammar errors. Plus, if they stuck with manga, they can probably make their releases better than they already are. Very Happy
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Viz announced they had Zoids Genesis on January 31, 2006. It is now February 18, 2009. They haven't ever released a single episode of the show anywhere, nor have they even acknowledged its' existence. And they treat more then just kidomo mecha series like this too. I. Hate. This. Company.

Then there are their cancelled DVD series like Hikaru No Go, Zatch Bell!, Blue Dragon, MAR, Prince Of Tennis, Fullmoon, etc. While I admit I wasn't liking or going to buy some of those series (Blue Dragon, MAR, and PoT) they could have just started to release them directly to boxsets. Instead they abadoned them with episodes left. While some say the dub weren't complete, etc. I don't believe that so much. Fullmoon was being released in quarterly singles for a fair amount of time, that span of time should have been enough to dub that show. Same goes for Hikaru No Go.

Not only that, we have their online exclusive titles such as Megaman Starforce, and Eyeshield 21 have never seen the light of day. Seriously, this company usually solicits about 3 or 4 different releases per month right now. Usually either Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Pokemon, or a small run boxset series like HunterxHunter, or I"s. Would it kill them to release boxsets for these series?

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

They aren't 4Kids

Yeah, they're worse.

Atleast with 4Kids their titles will see the light of day in some shape or form (One exception there, Pretty Cure, but that'll still see the light of day on YTV with Toei). Not only that, they insist on still licensing shows every so often. 4kids really seems to only license one of two titles every couple of years (Only recent ones being Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, and Dinosaur King, which both shows, elitisms aside, got decent treatment).
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Viz make more of a name for itself in the manga industry before it hit gold when it hopped into bed with Shonen Jump? Maybe that's part of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2