• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z to Rerun on Japanese TV in HD in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RamzaOwns

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Great news. Although I hope they will kill all the useless filler and use the manga as a source. I did wish they would have started from Dragonball.

Goku and Piccolo getting their driver's licenses. Very Happy
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I am F'ing psyched for this! Shocked

I'm also hearing that episode number will be reduced from 291 to about 100. Does that mean Toei will be sticking closer to the manga?
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I hope they will kill all the useless filler and use the manga as a source.

That's a great idea.

The redone audio bothers me a little because some of the characters' voice actors have since passed away. (Muten Roshi, Tenshinhan, Mr. Popo...) And that means they'll be recast. Crying or Very sad
rascalking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, can someone clarify if they mean a RE-recording of the original cast or a whole new cast?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
See what a mainstream movie could snowball interest in a franchise enough to make such an expensive undertaking like this feasible! Laughing
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Yet another reason why Funimation will re-release DBZ...again.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't get excited over this. I never had much respect for a show about monkey-men from outer space hunching over like they're constipated while "charging up" for 10 episodes in a row, or how each new villain was pretty much invincible until some ridiculous deus ex machina was used to defeat him.

Now I can watch constipated power-charging and giant fireballs and cheap animation in HD. I feel...grateful?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Nice timing on Toei's frount, I've just gotten back into DBZ into a big way with Burst Limit.

Now if they would redo Sailor Moon so the last two seasons weren't such a mess then I think I could grow to hate Toei less for thier bullcrap.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hooray for digitally-enhanced pointless filler with only about 10 seconds of actual fighting. Rolling Eyes

Some reports have said that this version of DragonBall Z will only be 100 episodes. 191 less then Toei's original version. Considering that huge reduction in episodes. I suspect they'll be editing the show to remove filler.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
See what a mainstream movie could snowball interest in a franchise enough to make such an expensive undertaking like this feasible! Laughing
If the movie bombs, the Japanese will just ignore it.
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I can't get excited over this. I never had much respect for a show about monkey-men from outer space hunching over like they're constipated while "charging up" for 10 episodes in a row, or how each new villain was pretty much invincible until some ridiculous deus ex machina was used to defeat him.

Now I can watch constipated power-charging and giant fireballs and cheap animation in HD. I feel...grateful?
If the rumor about it being 100 episodes is true, that "10 episodes of powering up" won't even be there. Hopefully Toei will be using the manga as a guide. Also, it's common for new villians to be stronger than previous. Show me a show were they aren't.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The 100 episode thing is actually pretty cool, if true. I'd get right on watching Naruto if they gave it a similar treatment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
You folks need to stop pretending you weren't jazzed about DBZ back in the day. Even more atuned to its flaws now, I'd still love to see it in HD, ten episodes of powering up and Freeza's inability to tell time aside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, the Mythbusters did prove that one could polish a turd, so I'm assuming Toei is following that line of reasoning with this one. Razz

("Jazzed"? Hardly. Subjecting myself to an episode or two of it is what turned me off of anime for years.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You folks need to stop pretending you weren't jazzed about DBZ back in the day. Even more atuned to its flaws now, I'd still love to see it in HD, ten episodes of powering up and Freeza's inability to tell time aside.

It was fun, when I was 11.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly, everybody watching cartoons is so damn sophisticated.

DBZ is good for what it is. An action cartoon where the characters fire lasers from their hands because they trained really hard to. It's not great, but it's not horrible by any means. Stop overcompensating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5