• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bad anime you don't think are so bad.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeboy12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I decide to do this instead of the generic "lets hate on something a lot of people like"

Every now and then I like to find a series that been termed as "crap", mainly because I help truly understand what a bad anime is. On most forum it's a hard to find people with a middle ground opinion either it's really good or it's crap.

However, most of the bad anime series I've watch have been pretty horrible, one even almost putting me to tears(ultimate girl) but I have come across couple anime series that (least I feel) aren't as bad as a lot people make them to be.

So I wanna know what are some series that you feel get a little too much hate

for me( I'm gonna defend hard ones)

Eiken-I feel bad because the manga is far better, however I still don't think the anime is bad, or at least not as bad as it's made out to be. Now, grant I did watch this anime after finish kanokon and To Love-Ru so I had a different mindset but overall I found the it to be a functional. It wasn't good but at the same time wasn't bad. People hate this anime for the large-breasts character but I think it still had redeeming qualities, The animation was good, the humor was somewhat funny, and there were some different character premise. Overall, I found to be a decent fun anime that panders to a certain fetish

dragonaut- Man, I don't know what the big deal was about this show that turned people off show badly. From what I've seen on forums most of it seem to come from disappointment because of the strong voice cast, or because it was from gonzo, or maybe something else but I've never seen something hated on so bad. Certainly, people have seen worse.

[EDIT: Changed your title to make more grammatical sense. -TK]

Last edited by animeboy12 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The Fruit Basket anime. Yeah, she doesnt choose any of the guys at the end of it but the anime was still entertaining for me. Plus I liked the artwork. Alot of people say dont watch it, read the manga. But the manga actually got me bored at some points. ..Come to think of it so did the anime..but I still sorta liked it more somehow.

Loveless anime. Again another series where the fans of it feel the need to tell others to avoid it and read the manga. While I agree the manga is better. The anime is good too and its not a bad place to start. The ending kind of gives you a hint of whats to come. spoiler[(Seimei is still alive)] Plus I thought the Zero girls arc was beautifully done in the anime and I loved the art.

Thats the best I could do. I dont really watch alot of things that I see people considering bad.

Was Bobobobo (whatever) considered bad by many? Because I saw it when I was younger and I found it funny. People are too serious nowadays. Neutral
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Seeing as Fruits Basket and Loveless are adored by many...uh... Laughing

Honestly, Pokemon is not bad. At all. It's just a dumb kids' show, and I think people hate on it because it's popular and they hate that they wasted so much of their money on the cards. (I never spent a lick on the cards, I just watched the show and played the games...and hugged the plushes! Anime smile ) It's really just as good (bad?) as Scooby Doo, which is considered a classic American cartoon, and it follows a similar formula to Scooby Doo with its villains and characters fulfilling the same roles every episode, a jibbering animal character, a theme song people love to parrot, etc. I still have a lot of nostalgic love for everything pre-Orange Islands. (Tracy...eugh.)
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I can't say much about Eiken even though I do own the DVD, I have not watched it again since I first got it. But as to supposedly bad anime that I didn't think was as bad as I had heard. I'd have to say Girls Bravo. Bamboo Dong's review of the first volume in her Shelf Life column certainly set the bar pretty low. But out of bordom one day I gave it a look and ended up watching the whole thing. While its no masterpiece theater by a long shot, its not the god awful schlock that I heard it was by a long shot either. I've heard that they took a few liberties with the script when they made the dub, and I think that might have helped save it from being as terrible as it could have been. spoiler[Though honestly that line in one episode where Yukinari deadpans to Lisa "You are batsh*t crazy, aren't you?"] was kinda obvious, but still incredibily funny in the moment. I can't say I'd outright recommend it, but again, its not even close to being as bad as I first heard it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy: Unlimited
I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but I kinda love it. I love the character designs and the overall style. I think it's a really fun show and I was actually really disappointed it got cancelled. Sure it isn't anything like the games in any way, but if you just watch it for it is you'll have a good time. It's not amazing, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Everyone goes on saying how terrible The Super Milk-Chan Show but I actually quite enjoyed it. Not to the same degree as Cromartie High School (or other superior comedies). Sure, it's basically a list of running gags that happen every episode, we see Milk-chan evade paying her rent, the ants under the yard (my personal favorite), the weird internal monologue from that caterpillar thing (Hanage), Tetsuko hoping to find her father at King Idea's Lab, so long as it's not Dr. Eyepatch, who gets his weird little TV moniter thing every episode, then we watch The President be stupid, something happens (????), Profit (they go get ramen, episode ends). And that weird picture of the lady in the hot springs at Milk's house. It's a very very odd show, but I enjoyed it for turning off my brain temporarily and entertaining me, I don't see why it gets such a bad rap. It's easy to say other comedy are better, but there's just so many shows that are worse.

Then, I also enjoyed Digimon Frontier, even after the writers went insane and completely ignored anyone who wasn't Takuya, Koji or Koichi on occasion. And they included a character whose Digimon was so pathetic that it couldn't even break a mirror without digievolving (this is the series where the kids become the digimon, and the worthless one was the girl who didn't even defeat her bad guy in her debut episode she was that useless). But it was still fun to watch for me, because they wrote out the other 3 character because they really didn't matter that much to shows conclusion. Wow, I am not making this sound good at all am I? I think it gets a bad rep because some people view it as a Pokemon rip-off (it's nothing like Pokemon, it's more like Persona) and everyone seems to adore the third season (I did not, but perhaps it's because Lain guy wrote the 3rd season that makes it more appealing or something, I dunno) and the first two and i guess this one was kinda getting down the line and people didn't feel like paying attention. It kinda reminds me of the Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney game, which was still great, it just didn't have Phoenix Wright as the attorney.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
^ Seeing as Fruits Basket and Loveless are adored by many...uh... Laughing

I guess its mostly the manga fans that complain about it. :/ Though I guess its more liked the hated.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Then, I also enjoyed Digimon Frontier, even after the writers went insane and completely ignored anyone who wasn't Takuya, Koji or Koichi on occasion. And they included a character whose Digimon was so pathetic that it couldn't even break a mirror without digievolving (this is the series where the kids become the digimon, and the worthless one was the girl who didn't even defeat her bad guy in her debut episode she was that useless). But it was still fun to watch for me, because they wrote out the other 3 character because they really didn't matter that much to shows conclusion. Wow, I am not making this sound good at all am I? I think it gets a bad rep because some people view it as a Pokemon rip-off (it's nothing like Pokemon, it's more like Persona) and everyone seems to adore the third season (I did not, but perhaps it's because Lain guy wrote the 3rd season that makes it more appealing or something, I dunno) and the first two and i guess this one was kinda getting down the line and people didn't feel like paying attention.

Boy, that's a trip down memory lane. I think I shall rant, then, about the many seasons of Digimon...since it's also considered "bad anime" by many.

A lot of the problem people had with that season was the premise itself, as you mentioned, there were no Digimon partners, the kids became the Digimon a la Power Rangers. (Actually, you could have called that whole show Power Rangers Animated...) The other problem with that show was that it was practically a readout of every cliche and pattern for kids' anime in general and also for Digimon seasons past. It also had more animation recycling and transformation sequences than any season before it, all with cruddy CGI, the companion characters were the most obnoxious things ever created, etc etc. The only improvement it made was that it wasn't annoyingly pun-filled and horribly written/adapted like the first two seasons were, but the third season also had that advantage along with stellar writing...for a kids' show.

That being said, I watched it when I was younger so it held my attention...and Crispin Freeman outdid himself playing Duskmon/Koichi. I mean, geez, he didn't act like he was playing in a dumb kids' show, he played the role very seriously, and it was kind of odd hearing such a throaty guy play a young kid. He sounded good. It wasn't the Tabool voice or anything, thank god. Speaking of the kids, that's another nice thing. Even though they took out the Digimon partners, Frontier did a good job of taking these five awful kids you'd hate to be stuck babysitting and making them into a likable bunch by the end. It was established at the beginning that all of them were pretty friendless individuals, and they were able to become close friends with each other and are shown with groups of friends at the end of the story in the human world too. (The blockhead becomes responsible, the crybaby grows up, the fat kid learns to care about other people in place of bribes and low self-esteem, the foreign girl cools out and stops making excuses for herself, and the recluse learns to forgive people.) Still...that is rather hokey. They did a good job with it, but the Digimon bonding was more intriguing compared to the whole Disneyfied friendship thing.

The first two seasons were charming (if you could sit through all the bad puns) and cute, giving them the credence to be loved by Digimon fans, and they had the partners dynamic. It was the first, so it's going to be more welcomed, something pretending to be Power Rangers just pisses off the fanbase.

I'm surprised you said the third season was well-liked, but maybe that's by anime fans in general? Digimon fans tend to slam the third season because it was a huge step away from the original setup. It's also the best kids' anime I've ever seen. It manages to conform to the needs of the franchise, to show off the characters, sell toys, have the necessary "four arcs and one evil character that turns good" devices among others, that kind of thing, but it still had a dynamic plot with some actual good plot twists and character development, shock of shocks, and overall just cut-above writing. Yes, that is Chiaki J. Konaka at work there, Mr. Lain. He has a fondness for cybernetic mindfrag writing, and it's definitely present in Digimon Tamers, where they actually took all the fantasy elements and explained them logically, turning it into straight-up sci-fi. Another good thing about that show is that the parent characters had as much to do as the kids. It wasn't a situation of "all those over age 12, move aside" like most dumb kids' shows. The kids had to be accountable to the adults in the show, parents and the government, who were obviously going to be involved if the world really did need saving.

The only problem with the third season is that it superseded being a kids' show a little too much. It dealt with some pretty heavy issues and got a wee bit too dark at times. It was all in the name of sci-fi realism, I know, and I really enjoyed it, but, uh, I was 12. It may have traumatized some 8-year olds. Not to mention all the tech speak and scenes with the adults, while again, excellent for the story's sake, were too over-the-heads of the target audience.

The fifth season, what little I've seen of it, is horrible. It's hideously animated, they tried to make it "edgy" by making the kids strret thug teenagers, which I prefer to call corrupting, really, and all the characters/jokes were taken from previous seasons. The abused pet of the villain, gee, where have I seen that before? Sneaking a Digimon home in a cardboard box? It was adorable the first time, but bland this time around. Eh. I know it's just a kids' show, but I don't like the idea of them trying to make it "edgy" for the kiddos. Make it sweet. Make it entertaining...season three was dark, but it was also more innocent than any of the other seasons, a la Takato and the E.T.-esque Guilmon.

Wow, what a rant. Well, I was always fond of Digimon as a child, and it does get raspberried a lot, quite undeservingly I'd say. I think people regard anime as too sophisticated in general. It's entertainment, and you're criticizing kids' entertainment, which is as bad or worse (currently) in the States as it is in Japan.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I know that a lot of people like to make fun of how poorly done the 1960's Astro Boy was. But I really like it. Sure it h bad editing and voice acting. But what do you expect from that time? I like the story and the bad editing makes it that much more entertaing. I hope that more people start to go back and watch it in a new light soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
And of course, theres the Digimon movies, all 7 of them. when I rewatched the first 4 seasons of Digimon (because the last one I saw, 4 was nearly 6 years ago), I decided to watch all the movie too. While I pretty much hated movies 4-7, the first 3, collectively called "Digimon: The Movie" in America was still awesome. I actually burned the movie's soundtrack to my computer from a friend. By all means, this movie should make even less sense today, Izzy hacks a government space satellite through a dial-up connection and helps defeat the mid-way boss by spoiler[forwarding emails to freeze him]. Not to mention Tai and Matt entering into the computers Persona 4 style, and this whole thing is happening in dial-up! The bad guy annoys everyone by first calling their cell phones, then tying up the phone lines (land lines, back when we used them more), and by more legitamatly, spoiler[firing a nuke or something at Hawaii]. Yes, the second part of that movie was my favorite part. But man, for all the reasons it should be lame, it's exactly why it's not, saving the world using dial-up? Awesome! I don't even think we could post replies in a timely manner on here with dial-up anymore, but the Digidestined saved the whole WORLD using dial-up! And it doesn't waste any time reintroducing us to all the characters, it assumes we know and it doesn't insult our intelligence that way. Seriosuly, part of why I and dorm buddies (not that most of them actually live in my dorm) still like Digimon and remember it is because of the movie (the first two season anyway).
wktra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
I happen to think "Apocalypse Zero" wasn't as bad as they say. The character designs were consistent and the fighting was excellent. It also has that retro look going for it. I could have done without the female depiction of genitalia but it was a good rental.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Final Fantasy: Unlimited
I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but I kinda love it. I love the character designs and the overall style. I think it's a really fun show and I was actually really disappointed it got cancelled. Sure it isn't anything like the games in any way, but if you just watch it for it is you'll have a good time. It's not amazing, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

Seconded. I've actually been enjoying this series, when each DVD ends I find myself wanting to open the next one to see how the series will progress with each new episode. Some of the characters may be a little cheesy but still provide entertainment. My friends have said that the series sucked, but in my own right mind and opinion I beg to differ. Especially when my sister is also interested in the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well, I thought Mnemosyne wasn't as bad as others who watched it made it out to be. It's gots loads of gratitious violence and sex and offen is downright disturbing but it had good characters and the story was interesting. It was also well animated.

Fanservice/martial-arts titles like Ikki Tousen and Tenjho Tenge aren't that well recieved either and I ended up liking them.

Anhow, sure they're not gold plated masterpieces but they're also not as bad some people rate them.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hum...

Gundam Seed Destiny. Its not bad anime but i head so much bad about it from the hardcore Gundam fans, up to ranking it the worst in whole series; yet its still my favourite Gundam Universe, even after i watched most of the others.

Most likely because it was first Gundam show i watched, but still loved every bit of it.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
Was Bobobobo (whatever) considered bad by many? Because I saw it when I was younger and I found it funny. People are too serious nowadays. Neutral

I'd say there are many who find Bobobo a bad show. The concluding factor being that the people who do can't take it seriously. There are too many stuff about the series that can be found as nonsense. That doesn't go without saying. It does have people who like it. Those who like the show like how stupid stuff can turn amusing.

I'll say Weiss Kreuz. Can't exactly recount the reason people found it bad. From what I can regather is how out in the dark the show is. What I can only remember people saying why it is a bad anime. Four guys who work in a flower shop by day, work as assassins by night. I've seen the series through its entirety. It had some ideas I liked in how they put them out. But not to where I would find on the level I will say is outstanding or say is great. It had enough to compel me to see it. I watched to see how the guys went through their missions and how they carry on with themselves. If there is anything I would say against this anime is its direction. Certain times I don't know where this show is trying to go or what it wants to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12