• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newtype USA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANIME115

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:45 am Reply with quote
Question What did you think of newtype usa? I liked it alot, although I think they should NOT have put an Andromeda add in it seeing as it is not remotely related to anime. But overall, I was very suprised Surprised at how well they translated and interpreted its japanese counterpart. I really enjoyed the dvd insert with the Arjuna episode and tons of trailers.
Case

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:42 am Reply with quote
ANIME115 wrote:

Question What did you think of newtype usa? I liked it alot, although I think they should NOT have put an Andromeda add in it seeing as it is not remotely related to anime. But overall, I was very suprised Surprised at how well they translated and interpreted its japanese counterpart. I really enjoyed the dvd insert with the Arjuna episode and tons of trailers.

I picked up my copy this afternoon. I had hoped that I would get to start the thread about it, but you seem to have beat me to it. Anime smile;;

The thing that struck me the most about it is that is so freeking HUGE. 192 pages is a LOT to squeeze into this format. I don't think I've ever seen a magazine this big. Did we know beforehand that it was going to be this massive!?
Shocked

I've been picking away at it over a span of about 8 hours now, and I'm still not sure what all is here. I've at least scanned through each of the full features (only read the Gundam Seed one in full ^^; ), I've identified most of the 10 - 12 short features, and glanced over the manga insert and poster and postcards and centerfold and some of the ads. I haven't even gotten a look at the music reviews and Japan TV guide sections yet. I'm pretty sure it's going to take me all week to get through it all. Anime dazed

Is the Japanese Newtype this gigantic? Holy moly. Rolling Eyes

The only other thing I really have an opinion on is the way they've chosen to handle the direction. I say, if they wanted us to go from right to left, they should have gone all-out and arranged the individual page layouts to support that as much as possible. Going through the book from right to left while reading articles from left to right (often from left to right across pairs of facing pages) seems unnecessarily difficult. I think the should have at least organized the pages to read from right to left if they didn't want to print the columns out of natural English order. The fact that our language reads from left to right does make that a difficult decision, but I think virtually anyone who reads right-to-left manga (the people who wanted the magazine to be right-to-left in the first place, ne?) wouldn't have too much trouble if the facing pages or paragraphs read right-to-left also.

...Or they could have done the whole thing left-to-right facing like Animerica. I'm not that much of a purist, so I really don't care. But I think either of the above layouts would be more logical than the one they're using now.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ANIME115 wrote:

I think they should NOT have put an Andromeda add in it seeing as it is not remotely related to anime.

Well it is released by ADV...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Similar arguements came up when ADV started showing Farscape previews on their tapes/ DVDs. They're advertising in the wrong place. Nobody going to an anime convention in their right minds would choose Andromeda over Vandread, or Twix over Pocky. Anyone who does can and will get a call of 'HEATHEN!' from all those witnessing Wink
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about that. A lot of anime fans I know like Farscape and Andromeda. And since I already own a bunch of the Farscape DVDs and none of Vandread....I guess that makes me "less of an anime fan" or some BS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANIME115

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:24 pm Reply with quote
TheAngstyKiller wrote:

Similar arguements came up when ADV started showing Farscape previews on their tapes/ DVDs. They're advertising in the wrong place. Nobody going to an anime convention in their right minds would choose Andromeda over Vandread, or Twix over Pocky. Anyone who does can and will get a call of 'HEATHEN!' from all those witnessing Wink

Laughing I agree, no anime fan going to an anime convention "would choose Andromeda over Vandread, or Twix over Pocky." I like Andromeda very much, but it just does not belong at an anime convention, or should I say in an ANIME magazine. Although, alot of anime fans DO like Andromeda, the ad for Andromeda in Newtype USA was very out of place Evil or Very Mad .

Exclamation Moreover, sailormech is correect, they really should have made it readable from right-to-left and not just the ordered from right-to-left. To read a story properly you need to read the page to your left before you read the one to your right.
Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm an anime fan who doesn't care for Vandread but likes Andromeda, mainly for the "cheese" value, but also for the "former YTV "P.J." (Program Jockey) and/or Video and Arcade Top 10 co-host" value (if anyone cares, Gord Woolvet ("Seamus") was a P.J. for years in the afternoon timeslot between noon and 3 p.m. and he was also a host of V&AT10, which is like a glorified "infomercial" for Nintendo systems, as was, very briefly, Lexa Doig ("Rommy").).

As for the main topic, no, I don't think I will be buying Newtype since I'm Canadian and it costs as much for Canadians to subscribe to Newtype for one year as it will when I buy the first two You're Under Arrest mini-box sets from AnimEigo, and, given the choice between reading about anime and watching it, I'll take watching it. I might pick up specific individual issues in stores, but only if there's something on the DVD I really, really want to see, and Arjuna is not it. I'm sure I would find it to be a better magazine than Animerica, but I'll stick with Animerica for the price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying you can't put the two together; it's just ineffective and creepy (like in End of Evangelion when you see people walking down the street and happy apocalypse music plays). If they set up a booth for Farscape at a Sci-fi con they'd do a lot better.

I'm happy for ADV, just as long as they don't take popular franchises too far like Sony, and slapping the logo in every nook and cranny where it doesn't belong. They smear ads for EverQuest around like graffiti, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's sickened. Embarassed

Edit: No, I'm not against EverQuest. But the people at Sony like to convince me it's a good alternative to loading 300 rounds in a space alien when I know it's not Wink
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering Farscape has been cancelled, I doubt you'll see very many ads for it anymore. And it definitely won't get a booth at a con. Andromeda, however, hasn't been cancelled yet....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:30 am Reply with quote
Going slightly tangential for a moment: I'd expect to see more Farscape hype in anime circles, and not less.

ADV was also soliciting at MIPCOM for interested parties in footing a portion of the bill for a Farscape anime (in the same piece of news that mentioned they wanted to produce BGC:2041)--what interested me was that Farscape was specifically referred to as the anime series, while another show in the same release was referred to as an 'animated series'. Slightly different terminology, but possibly important.

If the Farscape anime pans out, it adds a new dimension to ADV advertising their live-action stuff in Newtype USA. They could be trying to build an audience for future anime extensions of the series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:12 am Reply with quote
Do you people not understand how advertising works?

ADV cross-promotes shows that might be of interest to their audience. Geeks like anime. Geeks like sci-fi. So they advertise their syndicated sci-fi properties in Newtype, a magazine they sponsor, in the hopes that the many anime fans who read Newtype will get interested in those properties. I see ads for video games in Animerica all the time; those technically aren't anime, but they're aimed at the same audience, so it's not exactly "jarring" to see it there. Were I reading Newtype, I'm not going to say "OMG Kevin Sorbo why is he in my ANIME magazine?!?!?!!!! im going to onlinepetitions.com!" when happening upon an ad for Andromeda. Aside from that, isn't it a little silly to complain about this? If you see an ad for chips in the soda aisle in the supermarket, do you go to the management and say "Excuse me, I do not appreciate being sold chips while attempting to buy soda!". People like to drink soda while eating chips. Hence the ad placement. Dorks like both anime and sci-fi. Hence the ad placement. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this out, folks.

-Zac
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ANIME115 wrote:

I like Andromeda very much, but it just does not belong at an anime convention, or should I say in an ANIME magazine. Although, alot of anime fans DO like Andromeda, the ad for Andromeda in Newtype USA was very out of place Evil or Very Mad .

Wow. I really can't believe such a thread lasted for so long. Not only are you whining about something so stupid and illogical, you should consider the way things are in Japan, as well as the Japanese Newtype.
I will attempt to open your eyes with a few points:

1) Do you ever think it's weird for anime catalogs or magazines to carry ads for Godzilla related merchandise? No? Why? Guys in rubber suits prancing around have nothing to do with anime, do they? Do you ever think it's weird for anime conventions to have DDR tournaments, or Mario tournaments? Why not? What the hell is the difference? I don't know if all of you are as acquainted with DDR as I am, but the last time I checked, it has nothing to do with anime. Nor does Italian plumbers running around jumping on mushrooms. Although I could be wrong. In fact, I bet it is some sort of anime, just pixelled and made interactive, right? Wrong.

2) The Japanese Newtypes carry a section every issue where they talk about live action US movies. Sometimes, they'll carry a small article on Titanic, or AI. This month's movie is... *checks her Newtype* Band of Brothers. A few pages further is an ad for a ceramic toy of a chicken peering out of an egg. Just because it's cute. No other reason. Does that make Newtype the span of the devil? No. It just means that Japanese consumers aren't tight-wads about the "pureness" of their magazines. A while back, they advertised for boxsets of James Cameron's Dark Angel. A very, very, very American live-action show.

3) The title of the magazine is _Newtype: The Moving Pictures Magazine_. Last time I watched Andromeda, I could've sworn that the screen moved, but I'll have to check again.

4) If ADV wants to advertise for their own stuff, let them do it. Let's not forget that the anime companies invest a lot into this new magazine, especially ADV who brought Newtype USA to life.

5) What kind of editor would run paragraph text from right to left? Not only is that absurd, just think about this... how the hell would anyone type set that, huh? They'd have to type everything in reverse, as no computer program automatically reverses word order. Also, think about manga, rather it's Japanese manga or US "special edition: right to left!" manga. The pages go from right to left, but dammit, the words sure as hell don't.

6) For Chrissakes, people. Japanese text is read from top to bottom, and LEFT TO RIGHT. If they're talented enough to deal with it, I'm sure you can too.

7) It's "ineffective and creepy" to have live action with anime? Don't you think it's creepy to have a Japanese magazine filled with English words, like *character**ch**ch**ch**character*SEED. You don't think that's weird?

My whole point is that you people need to realize that not everything revolves around you. In fact, before you even say anything, perhaps you need to think about how things exist in the REAL world. In the REAL world, people in Japan read text from left to right. In the REAL world, advertising for mixed media is OKAY. In the REAL world, fans should stop trying to find things to bitch about. I don't know how long y'all have been exposed to anime, but trust me, the anime scene now is so much better than it was back in the day; hell, even back in the day when ANN was still a young 'un, which is not too long away. Whining about Andromeda ads? Whining about the variety of anime on US networks? Whining about the quality of digital fansubs? My little grasshoppers, you have much to learn about the real world.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:41 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

My whole point is that you people need to realize that not everything revolves around you. In fact, before you even say anything, perhaps you need to think about how things exist in the REAL world. In the REAL world, people in Japan read text from left to right. In the REAL world, advertising for mixed media is OKAY. In the REAL world, fans should stop trying to find things to bitch about. I don't know how long y'all have been exposed to anime, but trust me, the anime scene now is so much better than it was back in the day; hell, even back in the day when ANN was still a young 'un, which is not too long away. Whining about Andromeda ads? Whining about the variety of anime on US networks? Whining about the quality of digital fansubs? My little grasshoppers, you have much to learn about the real world.

Holy crap, what crawled up your shorts and died?

Relax a little bit. At this rate you're going to die from high blood pressure at the ripe old age of 26.
Rolling Eyes

There is good logic behind my opinion related to your number 6 point, but I'm not even going to bother editorialising in response to a temper tantrum...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:35 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

Holy crap, what crawled up your shorts and died?

Incidentally, nothing. What had started out as a counterpoint built up into a rant because all of the frustration I've pent up over the months of college life and reading some of the posts on this board (outside of this one). It all coalesced into that one post. Regardless of my nasty temper, my opinions still stand.

I would like to hear your logic about printing things from right to left.
ANIME115

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes you need to go back and read carefully ... what i said is that the pages themselves (not the text... DUH) should be right to left order and not just the magazine...for most of newtype usa you need to start the article on the left hand side and then go from the columns on the left to the ones on the right. ALSO, no offense, but try to not rant so much, it makes you sound really stuck-up. Furhtermore, Mad I meant this topic to be peoples opinions on the magazine... not an endless rant and argument about some stupid ads. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2