• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Something's Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Metatron: Compared to other social-networking sites, 1UP isn't very user-friendly.

Dark Elf: I think he was being ironic.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
I am very interested in XIII, but my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat because of the return of Tetsuya Nomura. Look, I do like a good portion of the work the man has done (i.e. Aya Brea, Vincent, Auron, etc.). Nomura's fingerprints have been all over this series and much of Squenix's franchises for well over a decade; the man's work is THE signature look of most of that company's games.

Yet, I'd like to see Squenix change things up and add more variety to their flagship title, instead of playing it safe again. Just because they know what they're getting in Nomura doesn't mean an FF game featuring char. design work from people like Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard) and even Yuichi Shiota (Unlimited Saga) would somehow be the worst thing of all time.

Besides, doesn't Tetsuya Nomura have enough on his plate with the dozen or so Kingdom Hearts games he has to produce, direct and design for?

I agree. I'm seriously tired of Nomura's work. Granted he does make some of the finest human characters ever seen in gaming, but it's getting old to see his stuff all the time. And as a fan of the SaGa series, I really want to go with your idea to call in Shiota-san. I loved Unlimited's colorful character artwork, so I was hoping they'd do another original SE game with his style again. Hell, he should do Romancing SaGa 2's remake if that ever gets considered in Japan.

As for that Cry On game, I was remotely interested in it based on what little I saw of the art. I thought it would be good, but then the infamous cancel occurs. I'm not sure why they ditched the idea; maybe they were swamped with all the Blue Dragon releases or something. Who knows?

As for the rest of today's X Button, nothing else looks interesting sadly. Is the game world falling apart already since entering 2009? At least we're getting Ar tonelico 2 soon, though I'm sure everyone will call it "a dating sim RPG with more options than Ar tonelico 1" or something. =/

As for the EGM thing, well, I stopped reading game magazines a few years ago. I was actually tired of all the idiotic comments some article writers made on upcoming game releases along with the boring opinion sections and such. While it is sad to see it go, I can't say I'll be in tears over it.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the irritating things about Nomura is that all he does is take the same basic character template and slap a different combination of leather, belt buckles, and zippers on them, then adds in a new hairstyle or a scar or tattoo -- bam, new and completely different party member!
Mevious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
FFXII was my favorite in the series, especially because of its battle system, and from the looks of it, FFXIII will have a great system, too. The character designs of XIII never did grab me, but the rest of the game's graphics are gorgeous enough to be a distraction.. then again, I have yet to see the game in action.

Heh... I find it interesting that a chubby girl in a dating sim is an important enough issue to write about. Slow week?

The rumor about Matsuno working with Monolith is pretty juicy, though. I really hope this is true. Maybe Soraya Saga will write for it... that would be nice.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
If Monolith's next game is as good a cure for insomnia as Endless Cutscene Saga, count me out please. Rolling Eyes
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Uhhggg the last two Castlevania games are a joke they are highly liner do to the 2D map design that creates poorly layed out 3D aeras.

The N64 Castlevania's might have been unpolished but they where going in a more porper direction, IE a zelda style open world adventure setup.

All 3D Castlevania needs is solid level deign and a better weapons combo system, mix in alil god of war, DMC and the last two Castlevania's with better equipment and skills and you will amke a great game...but keep creating luke warm lack luster stuff to fill the game with its dead and over....

BTW...2D....is highly over rated..............*hides*

I mean come on nothing says generic rehash like Castlevania on the DS....*hides moa*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Order of Ecclesia shook the stale Metroidvania formula up for the better.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Order of Ecclesia shook the stale Metroidvania formula up for the better.

Just barely, its to as mind numbly generic as the last 2(yes Dawn of sorrow was kinda generic....) .

So OOE is the only non generic 2D title in teh last 2 or 3 titles for portable systems..... the 3D ones have bad equipment/skill systems in boxy 3D environments, they need to get back to a more open world theme, make the levels feel less generic and boxy hell do what Metroid did for heavens sake. Then build a solid equipment and skill system that uses easy and fun combos to make a fun Action RPG adventure game...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
It's interesting, because the female-targeted dating sims for the DS that I know of (and I only know three, so I could be off) use the touch pad as integral part of the gameplay.

Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 1 & 2 have characters react various ways to the protagonist's touch. It could be a "bump" early on that flusters one of the boys or a more meaningful touch later on.

Then there's an infamous (among my male friends) boxing/dating game Duel Love where you wipe the sweat off your beau's body. (Yum... Rolling Eyes That's totally what I want to do.)

Of course, these are fairly innocent examples, though the Duel Love game does allow you to give slightly more erotic rubdowns and even blow away steam from the shower section: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/05/duel-love-teaches-proper-nipple-rubbing-techniques/
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I ever played that Cybernator, but it reminded me of something (which could have been itself), a game from roughly that era I think, in which there were a bunch of different mech suits, and each had different capabilities, and you could hop out as a little 3-6 pixel dude that could jetpack around and comandeer empty suits as needed. Anybody know what that one was?
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I'm not sure if I ever played that Cybernator, but it reminded me of something (which could have been itself), a game from roughly that era I think, in which there were a bunch of different mech suits, and each had different capabilities, and you could hop out as a little 3-6 pixel dude that could jetpack around and comandeer empty suits as needed. Anybody know what that one was?

I loved Cybernator, but I can only think of Blaster master as any game to have the ability to hop out of the vehicle.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

That is indeed Metal Warriors, the LucasArts-made Cybernator tribute mentioned in the column and this thread.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
What I don't get is why more people have never played Metal Warriors. It was one of the BEST robot-themed games of the era, and it was challenging and fun, and had different types of robots that were all kinds of kick-ass (remember the funky spider-themed mech?).

Another nice detail was that your armor showed dents and nicks and then started to spark when it was about to overheat/explode. Very nice little touch that shows how much effort was put into the game.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You don't mind me saying this, but your piece was without a doubt the most nonsensal,biased, and pointless sour grapes arugument about the state of the video game industry I have ever read.

First of all, Sony's PS3 is dying! http://www.gamespot.com/news/6202693.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=morenews&tag=morenews;title;5

And Sony is reported to have lost billions on R&D on PS3 and dismal sales and price cuts, no spin or claim of a decrease of production costs is going to save them, Them having problems only serves to give the PS2 more life and an open spot for SEGA to return to the console market.

And that theory that Sega making a new console turning out to be Sega selling it's Dreamcast patent emulator to Nintendo Wii's VC? Are you a SEGA hating troll? I guess you are. I can't even fathom on how stupid that theory is from a Nintendo fanboy, this theory dates back to late 2007. Well over a year passed by and that has yet to happen, the only thing that happened was that we saw SEGA port "House of Dead " and "Samba De Amigo" to the Wii. Another thing that ought dampen your sprits is the amazing arcade technology that SEGA has in Japan (http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=731) The 256-bit Lindbergh is not only based off of PC techonology from 2005, but it has more power than PS3! Might I remind you that all of SEGA's past consoles are based off arcade boards? So who's to say SEGA can't take Lindbergh and turn it into a console.

Also, the reason why EGM shut down isn't because magazines are obsolete its because we are in a video game CRASH!much like 1984. EGM joined the same fate as "Video Games" magazine and if GI and Gamepro followed it should be all that shocking. Don't you know that all the major U.S. publishers EA,Midway,Eidos and THQ are facing bankrupcy?! And it wouldn't surprise me if Mircosoft and Nintendo are affected too. After all the market is oversaturated with too many software and rising development costs have led to the closing of over 30 developers for the past year. You should also take a look at the library of games coming out this year, relitivley smaller then it has been for years.

So if you want to make a statement about what's wrong with the video game industry, do research instead of throwing out a theory that sounds like a 15 year old fanboy.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Since sometime always gtab a copy and becoming a fanboy, all I have to say that "UGO picked a good time to make journalism in video gaming crtique than it is well I hope sooner or later Video Gaming in Magazines will soon be a distant memory, If anyone keep there posterity in Video Game Magazines and make it more appitized in the Fan based area. But sorry to see it go, just hoping it's not to the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4