• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopcornHime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
So let me get this straight, there are some people out there who are complaining about there *free legal* anime?

Ahh the good old days of when anime was on VHS tape at $30 for 2 episodes and no1 complained because they were glad it got a realease.

If you check out CR's forum, then yes. Almost to the point that it's sad.
I wonder about Veoh though...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so let's take the argument that watching streaming media is not preferable when you can download the fansubs and watch it at any time you want (online or off), and have a copy forever, technically.

Fisrt off, if the whole idea of fansubbing in the first place is to duplicate the same experience that Japan gets, wouldn't streaming be closer to that than torrenting fansubs? So having a copy for your hard drive is the deal-breaker? Well, having a copy of a TV broadcast is normally something that should be paid for, so if the anime companies are providing this over the internet, would people who enjoy fansubs now pay, say, $1 for an episode, DRM free? I think that's reasonable. If they threw in the ability to re-download a copy if you needed to, I think that's a good deal.

AI think that the industry could come up with a deal like that. Even before that hypothetical comes true, I don't think you have a hell of a lot of argument to fansub Naruto when it's already being provided first-hand. Plus, on a site like Hulu, if you stop at a certain point in a video, you can start right back where you left off. That's why I've gone away from fansubs for years now, because the industry is finally trying to give fans what they begged for a long while ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
PopcornHime wrote:
Kireek wrote:
So let me get this straight, there are some people out there who are complaining about there *free legal* anime?

Ahh the good old days of when anime was on VHS tape at $30 for 2 episodes and no1 complained because they were glad it got a realease.

If you check out CR's forum, then yes. Almost to the point that it's sad.
I wonder about Veoh though...

By god, I mean I admit I complained about the prices of single volume DVDs and brought the reasnably priced boxsets instead, but thats it.
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
A couple of things:

Quote:
I just want to ask all these excuse-makers what you were watching before there were HD quality fansubs? You watched standard definition, didn't you?

Well, we didn't have much of a choice then did we? We have the technology now to get all of our anime in HD, one way or another.

Quote:
It's not like I'm watching grainy video taken through a handicam when I'm watching crunchyroll vids. I don't blame you for prefering HD video, but there isn't that much of a difference, especially since animation in HD isn't the same as watching live action in HD. How much greater detail will you get in HD?

A valid point. However, take into account the quality of HD. Now, turn it down to standard definition. Now, turn it down again for streaming purposes. It's like encoding a video 3 times, you'll lose quality every time, and in this case, the streaming solution compared to the HD solution yields quite a different result. It comes down to personal taste and some people don't care about the small difference. I however, do.

Quote:
I do agree that Crunchyroll has to up their game. They need to move to an ad-based model instead of PPV. iTunes basically does PPV, but they are a different service entirely.

I agree.

Quote:
GUESS WHAT! THERE IS NO FREE TV IN JAPAN! The television license costs about $150 per year, so the absolute minimum you'd have to pay to see anime at all in Japan is $150 per year.

I'd pay that. But CR is so much more expensive in comparison, and you get an inferior product. THAT'S what I'm complaining about.

Quote:
That''s all their is to it people who just look at what Toei, and TV Tokyo have done and scoff at it, are just freeloaders who will make any excuses so they can download their illegal fansubs.

It's not an excuse to download fansubs, we're simply pointing out what it would take for some of us (namely me), to CEASE downloading fansubs. And trust me, I'd like to, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality for legality.

Quote:
With the new streaming options, we are seeing the clear division now between the freeloaders and those who do want to contribute to the creators for their anime. Anyone who refuses now to use one of the streaming options, whether by subscription or via advertising-supporting shows, is simply wanting something for nothing and will never be satisfied.

Actually, I'd rather pay for my anime, but I won't toss out the cash if I'm getting something I don't think is worth the cost. I'm willing to accept it'll be expensive anyway due to it being *duh* anime, but within reason. I don't believe in getting something for nothing, not one bit. Unfortunately, my practicality overrides this most of the time.

Quote:
So having a copy for your hard drive is the deal-breaker?

No, but it's an extra perk, not really required though. They should do what iTunes does with renting videos, be able to download physical files and just have them expire. I would be all for that and would be willing to pay for such a service, because I would get a better viewing experience.

I know what I'm saying sounds selfish, I realize some people will read the first three lines of my post and go on just that as well.

My ideal anime viewing solution:

Companies offer downloadable (not streaming), time-based files which will expire in 24 hours after viewing the first time. Said files would be in full quality HD with softsubs, and distributed over BitTorrent (because it can be used for legal purposes, surprise surprise) to alleviate bandwidth costs and bring down the costs of distribution (maybe even the overall cost of the service). I WOULD PAY for that and leave fansubs forever.

Last edited by Brass2TheMax on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waryas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind paying if they actually had "decent" HD.
Their 480p encode (they call it HD even though HD is considered 720p and above) is bad and their 720p encode on skip beat is at the wrong framerate, not cropped and badly deinterlaced.

Call me picky but i do value my eyes and i wouldn't pay for a product that is going to give me eye cancer.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
With the new streaming options, we are seeing the clear division now between the freeloaders and those who do want to contribute to the creators for their anime. Anyone who refuses now to use one of the streaming options, whether by subscription or via advertising-supporting shows, is simply wanting something for nothing and will never be satisfied.

Two years ago, no one thought the Japanese would ever change their licensing model. Now the producers are literally bending over backwards, their head on the floor, trying to give the U.S. anime fans what they've been saying they wanted: access to anime on the same terms as the Japanese fans. These new options do exactly that. Here's an idea: If you absolutely must have the perceived quality of some current fansubs, then watch them. But also buy your subscription or stream the episodes with advertising in the background. You have what you want, and you contribute. Frankly, that's what I do if the quality of the stream isn't good enough because I watch my anime on a big plasma TV.

If every fansub-watching fan obtained their anime via legal methods starting today, the effect on the industry would be dramatic. Just look at the recent Kadokawa-YouTube news. In U.S. terms, it's not a lot of money, but it probably pays a few artists' salary at least.

Another thing... if you don't utilize the streaming methods now, then it will be looked upon as a failure by the Japanese and the sites hosting it. CR has improved quality in response to fans, and will continue improving if they make money. Other sites will do the same because of competition. But if no one uses it because the quality doesn't meet their standards now, then why should they keep doing it? Or why improve it, if even doing that doesn't convert people from fansubs?

There's no longer any excuse for anyone to avoid contributing in some monetary fashion for anime that is distributed legally to their location. Period.

I like the Kadokawa-Youtube model but like I had mentioned somewhat before, the CR model is different. The Kadokawa model brings them ad revenue on *any* user content where as the CR model is more traditional as it only allows officially approved content. Secondly the Kadokawa model gives free and equal access to all while the CR model splits its users into two groups in terms of access where the paying group gets earlier access by at least a week. It's not much of a big deal... until you want to join in any discussions.

While I generally agree with your post and also dislike the whiners in CR forums, to be fair most of the complaints come from removal of fansubs for titles that CR does not yet provide. If CR were to use the Kadokawa model, then CR would identify which shows belong to whom and redirect the ad revenue appropriately. Then if an official sub is released, they can replace those shows in the future.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Quote:
GUESS WHAT! THERE IS NO FREE TV IN JAPAN! The television license costs about $150 per year, so the absolute minimum you'd have to pay to see anime at all in Japan is $150 per year.

I'd pay that. But CR is so much more expensive in comparison, and you get an inferior product. THAT'S what I'm complaining about.

Crunchyroll is only $60 per year. You can lock in that price if you start your subscription before January 8.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:

Companies offer downloadable (not streaming), time-based files which will expire in 24 hours after viewing the first time. Said files would be in full quality HD with softsubs, and distributed over BitTorrent (because it can be used for legal purposes, surprise surprise) to alleviate bandwidth costs and bring down the costs of distribution (maybe even the overall cost of the service). I WOULD PAY for that and leave fansubs forever.

And if they did offer that than you would complain about how its time based and how fansubs are free, and don't have a timer.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Quote:
It's not like I'm watching grainy video taken through a handicam when I'm watching crunchyroll vids. I don't blame you for prefering HD video, but there isn't that much of a difference, especially since animation in HD isn't the same as watching live action in HD. How much greater detail will you get in HD?

A valid point. However, take into account the quality of HD. Now, turn it down to standard definition. Now, turn it down again for streaming purposes. It's like encoding a video 3 times, you'll lose quality every time, and in this case, the streaming solution compared to the HD solution yields quite a different result. It comes down to personal taste and some people don't care about the small difference. I however, do.

A really short version of what is wrong with the above can basically be said by: This is basically what happens with fansubs (which are actually 4th gen encodes, raws are 3rd gen). There is no intermediate encode step between the resolution and streaming. If you do it, you do it simultaneously and it does not change the detail loss that would exist. (You primarily lose details, not quality between HD and SD.) The only difference is the bitrate and the codec used and there are codecs that are optimized for lower bitrates.

Charred Knight wrote:
Brass2TheMax wrote:

And if they did offer that than you would complain about how its time based and how fansubs are free, and don't have a timer.

Or that it was too expensive since this ideal solution is basically how they handle Xam'd on PSN.

Last edited by bayoab on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
I don't even know why...I read all 8 pages.

Man, this totally makes my brain hurt. =/
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
LEGAL FREE ANIME

ANIME FANS

AGGGHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO EGGGGGGHHHHH
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="Waryas".]
Call me picky but i do value my eyes and i wouldn't pay for a product that is going to give me eye cancer.[/quote]

And yet you would watch the thing that gives you eye cancer for *free*

I want someone to come out with a more funnier excuse than this if possible.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Once a culture of piracy has been built, it's tough to escape from, I guess.

-Tofu
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Once a culture of piracy has been built, it's tough to escape from, I guess.

-Tofu

Ai, ai, Cap'N Roger!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
At this point, early on in the evolution of bringing content from Japan to us as fast as possible, I can bear the excuses. However, I think that most people here have sense enough to know that if the anime industry keeps going along this track, they will come up with better methods of bringing content to all of us. When that time comes, I hope that you aren't carrying a bag of excuses as to why you don't support these legal channels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9