• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Ever heard of this movie?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Heard of it with the Japanese title (武士の一分 Bushi no Ichibun) but not the English one. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
At least put in the option of seen it and will buy it for those who haven't watched it as their own, please. Then I will participate in the survey.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
I've recently heard of it due to the banner at the top, but usually "foreign" (well it is foreign to me) live action TV, and films dubbed into English just doesn't work for me, and subtitles are out of the question with my eyesight. Sorry, I pass.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Ah, right, the banner ad, that's where I heard of it, couldn't remember until you mentioned it. Not really my thing, don't plan on buying it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
At least put in the option of seen it and will buy it for those who haven't watched it as their own, please. Then I will participate in the survey.

That falls under "plan to buy it"
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
FUNimation should emphasize the director's other work, Twilight Samurai, which got nominated for an Oscar, and which is also on R1 DVD. They mention the Japanese Oscars on the front, but no one in the states cares about those.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
FUNimation should emphasize the director's other work, Twilight Samurai, which got nominated for an Oscar, and which is also on R1 DVD. They mention the Japanese Oscars on the front, but no one in the states cares about those.
The feeling's mutual I'm sure. Wink
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Is this just a roundabout way of finding out whether anyone reads the banner ads or not?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Is this just a roundabout way of finding out whether anyone reads the banner ads or not?

close. It's a partial attempt to see how effective the banner ads are with a completely non-endemic, and not very well known media property.

This actually isn't the right way to do the survey. The proper way would have been to target both surveys to randomly selected readers, and to make sure that the readers targeted second time around did not see the survey the first time.

The survey software doesn't do that though Sad ... yet.
-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
The previous survey got me to look up the movie. I forgot what it's about, the only thing that stuck is that I'm not interested at all.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This actually isn't the right way to do the survey. The proper way would have been to target both surveys to randomly selected readers, and to make sure that the readers targeted second time around did not see the survey the first time.

The survey software doesn't do that though Sad ... yet.
-t
Well, by blind chance, I didn't see the first survey. So I fit in the "right way to do it." Smile
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
It's a partial attempt to see how effective the banner ads are with a completely non-endemic, and not very well known media property.

Are you catchin' stats on subscribers? I can imagine that a lot of them have banners turned off anyway, so this could affect results (or maybe subscribers don't represent a large enough portion of site visitors for the difference to matter all that much).
logboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've recently heard of it due to the banner at the top, but usually "foreign" (well it is foreign to me) live action TV, and films dubbed into English just doesn't work for me, and subtitles are out of the question with my eyesight. Sorry, I pass.

how do you watch anime if you don't like dubs and can't read subs?

also, i've bought and seen this via a HK DVD many months ago. it's a shame so few fans of anime or manga don't follow the live action stuff. despite how distant the tastes in the fields are in the west, they're very interlinked fields of interest in japan; and my past experience is that anime fans can come to a point where they don't know where to progress to, but because these interests don't collide too well they're lost on the idea of heading towards stuff which could be more connected if appreciated alongside related material.

Last edited by logboy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
tempest wrote:
It's a partial attempt to see how effective the banner ads are with a completely non-endemic, and not very well known media property.

Are you catchin' stats on subscribers? I can imagine that a lot of them have banners turned off anyway, so this could affect results (or maybe subscribers don't represent a large enough portion of site visitors for the difference to matter all that much).

Good point. I have all ads turned off, but I clicked "Thinking about renting" because I saw the preview on a DVD, not because of the banner ad.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
logboy wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

how do you watch anime if you don't like dubs and can't read subs?

There is a big difference between an animation dub and a live-action dub. Lip movement in animation is rarely a precise thing and, I've noticed, many Japanese dubs don't really sync up with how the lips move. However, with live-action, the lip movements are quite precise because it is a real person speaking. Any variance from those lip movements are going to be immediately noticeable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2