• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can anyone help me out?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ta_kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
Hello, I about to graduated from high Cool school and I'm looking for a job in the (Anime) Animation industry. People around me and my teachers keep telling me that Graphic Design is that job, But I don't know Rolling Eyes ! Anyway can someone help me... Also if you know of a website that has a list of jobs in the (Anime) Animation industry and what each job does.

Thank you...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
If you want a job in anime, move to Japan (yeah, good luck with that). If you want a job in just general animation, enroll in an art school that actually has an animation majour. The Art Institute's a good place to start, as that's where I'm currently going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
University of Advancing Computer Technology (UACT) is another one. They are all really expensive, but top notch stuff.

If you are looking for ANY anime related job, most of the US anime companies are usually looking for good Graphic designers to do pixel (imaging clean up) and for advertisement purposes (i.e. flyers, dvd jackets, dvd screens, etc).
mahoro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Forget Japan for now. Instead, focus on what you can achieve in the USA first.

Since you just graduated from hs, are you going to college? I would recommend you try to get into CalArts in California (expensive but one of the best in the nation). Google it and you will learn more.

If you are serious about the animation industry you need to get formal training. People often overlook this and quickly dismiss formal training, they could not be more wrong. Going to schools opens doors for you that you cannot find on your own (networking) and you learn to work with equipment that is far too expensive to buy on your own. Do you know how much an Oxberry camera costs?! Do you really want to be paying thousands for SoftImage or Maya?

Invest in your education and try to get into the best creative arts school you can get into, don't worry about the loans. You can always pay them back, what you cannot do is turn back the hands of time and grasp a lost opportunity.

Also depending on where you are you should look into post production houses/studios that do animated shorts/feature films. Your best bet is to first get into an animation program with an emphisis on tradition animation and then, you can specialize in CGI, claymation or other animation mediums.

San Francisco State University (SFSU) also has a decent animation program. I would avoid the Academy of Arts program because there are too many foundation courses, they are milking you for your money. Those foundation courses have little next to nothing to do with your specialized area, ie. animation... you are basically wasting your time, money and resources. The Art Institute (AI) is considerably more expensive than SFSU, but they are also less established. People in the Bay Area production houses, know the dean of the SFSU animation program, Patricia Amblin (sp) and the head animation instructor Martha Gorzehiki(sp).

Connections ultimately will help you, it won't hinder you getting into a internship or future job. But before that you need a good foundation which most people get from school. Btw, I went to the SFSU program years ago, it wasn't good then, but they improved considerably and got more funding.
Ta_kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm going to college, Thank you all for you replying but I still need to know what kinds of jobs there are in animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1