• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.0 Film Set for Early Summer of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
If Sony or Warner Bros put out the new EVA movies, I'd much rather they dubbed them with fresh ears and a new cast. As much as I like the original cast, I've heard variations on those performances three different times (the original episodes, the movie versions put out by Manga, and then the Director's cut versions of the episodes).
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Dude, it's just different cultural mindset. Plus you guys are starting to have similar massive Anime boom that happened in 2001-2004 period in U.S. Once the boom fades, I got this feeling that European licensee will be hurting unless they have titles other than Anime.

Is there a such thing as official Hong Kong version??

Blu-ray or not, people will complain again about how "high" anime video price is when new video format comes out in 10 to 15 years from now.

Anime companies here aren't making money despite growing demands for new titles. Licensing new titles and setting up distribution channel to keep their companies afloat has been difficult for past few years.

tmsidr wrote:
Very, strange. Here in Germany we will get 1.0 on October 20th, so I think the licence wasn't so expensive for our country. Please note that there are English subtitles on the official Hong Kong DVDs as far as I know, but I think codefree DVD players are not as common in the US as in Germany (we won't be able to watch all the great Code 1 anime DVDs without them^^).

But I hope that someone pick up the series in the US and that they will also release a nice Blu-Ray version. However there's hope that Germany will get a Blu-Ray next year because the product manager for the German DVD told me that, the source for the DVD was HD, and that we will perhaps get a Blu-Ray next year.

I really don't understand where's the problem in the US, when even anime-developing-country Germany gets fine releases???
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
This is good news, but I still want an R1 license for 1.0. What in the crap is taking so long??

Eva production committee.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
If Sony or Warner Bros put out the new EVA movies, I'd much rather they dubbed them with fresh ears and a new cast. As much as I like the original cast, I've heard variations on those performances three different times (the original episodes, the movie versions put out by Manga, and then the Director's cut versions of the episodes).

Honestly, I kinda agree. Being a Greg Ayres fangirl I hope that he'd still be Kaworu, or at least someone on the cast--he's such a big Eva fanboy that it's a blast just giving him something from the series to sign, so I know he'd put in a lot of effort and care into the performance--but otherwise I think it'd be fun to hear different takes on the characters. Besides, I think some the people involved in the original dub don't even work in anime dubs anymore.

This is assuming that it'd really be a different take, though. If the new actors would just try to mimic the old actors, I'd rather just have the old cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Me being a kaworu fan girl hopes greg ayres gets to play him but I think crispin freeman might do a good job. Yes the eva production committee is crazy...I have come to that conclusion

I don't think I like this mari girl though because it might lead to shinji having a harem full of girls....and one boy. Well evangelion always was good for a twist Wink
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman as Kaworu? Really? Don't get me wrong, I love Crispin Freeman, but I don't think he's quite right for it at all. Kaji I could see, but...not Kaworu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I enjoyed the first movie because I like Eva, but it was a major disappointment since I was expecting altered/new story and ended up wit a recap movie.

From what I hear they changed the logos for Nerv and Seele in the new films. That's more than enough changing things around for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I enjoyed the first movie because I like Eva, but it was a major disappointment since I was expecting altered/new story and ended up wit a recap movie.

From what I hear they changed the logos for Nerv and Seele in the new films. That's more than enough changing things around for my tastes.

I was looking forward to the changes. Without them, its the exact same that i've seen and own.
tmsidr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Dude, it's just different cultural mindset. Plus you guys are starting to have similar massive Anime boom that happened in 2001-2004 period in U.S. Once the boom fades, I got this feeling that European licensee will be hurting unless they have titles other than Anime.

The "boom" is already over in Germany. ADV Germany and Tokyopop Germany stopped making DVD since last year, and we there's for example no Gurren Lagann for us in sight. Ufa Anime, who licenced Eva 1.01 in Germany did have a large sucess with the Ghiblie movies, so I think they are now trying to continue with other High Quality animes.

reanimator wrote:
Is there a such thing as official Hong Kong version??

It is sold in official shops and it has a region code (e.g. check yesasia.com, play-asia.com). I think it's as "legit" as the other versions.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Crispin Freeman as Kaworu? Really? Don't get me wrong, I love Crispin Freeman, but I don't think he's quite right for it at all. Kaji I could see, but...not Kaworu.

Well I guess after I heard him as albedo is xenosaga it seemed like a good fit.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Well I guess after I heard him as albedo is xenosaga it seemed like a good fit.

Ahhh, I see. I haven't heard him as that...I'd forgotten he played that role, though. albedo is a similar character, from what I've heard about him, so maybe he could pull it off...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised when I figured out it was him. It's nice to know that he doesn't sound the same in every role like that one time I was half sleep watching code geass and thought bleach was on Smile
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, dude, don't rag on Johnny Young Bosch, I like him! You don't need to have an amazing voice range to be a good voice actor.

Although I guess that's starting to get off topic.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I like him too but it's true you know.. and as someone who is seriously considering voice acting as a career choice I now know that it's not all about range but it's still funny and he at least doesn't annoy me too much with it...not like aya hirano does

but back on topic does anyone know anything else about this mari girl? I'm assuming that the new eva is hers and I'm wondering if she's going to take hikari's place as asuka's best friend or live in the house with them but I think she might be more connected to asuka than anyone.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Wasn't as impressed with the first one as I had hoped to be, unfortunately. I hope this one is better overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5