• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What type of monitor do you watch anime on?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itachi183

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Hey, I currently have a 19" 4:3 monitor but I'm wanting to upgrade to a 16:9 22" or so. But I heard about TN vs PVA/MVA panels, supposedly TN is bad for movies, but MVA is good, something about colors or so, I was wondering if it's same for anime, or will anime still look good on a TN?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
itachi183 wrote:
Hey, I currently have a 19" 4:3 monitor but I'm wanting to upgrade to a 16:9 22" or so. But I heard about TN vs PVA/MVA panels, supposedly TN is bad for movies, but MVA is good, something about colors or so, I was wondering if it's same for anime, or will anime still look good on a TN?

I watch on a good ol' fashioned CRT.
It's a shame that CRTs are becoming harder to get hold of, but I guess that that's just market forces at work. I'm looking to get a new monitor myself relatively soon because I want a higher resolution plus a refresh rate to match (my current monitor is at 1280*960*60, which isn't my ideal), and I'll be plumping for CRT again because I've little faith in any form of TFT screen (More related to gaming needs than Anime watching though). I'll have to root through some local stores, I guess.

There's some decent TFT screens out there, but for a consumer like me they mostly come with a buy-killing flaw in one way or another; be it response time, ghosting, poor colour representation or just poor viewing angles.

But... at the end of the day, I don't really believe that Anime has particularly high needs when it comes to display. I don't think it matters which one you choose.
Which I guess makes the majority of my post fairly irrelevant. Wink
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Right now I'm using my 19" Samsung SyncMaster 950p (a discontinued product). It's actually a CRT screen that my friend would bring over to play Smash Bros Melee on using a "hacked" VGA cable for the GameCube in Progressive mode. He brought it over to my parents' house one time, and due to it being about 35+ lbs. he didn't feel like taking it back, so he left it with me, and I've had it maybe, 3-4 years?

It was manufactured just over 8 years ago (August 2000), and it's still running great! It's attached to my laptop (that's closed, acting in "clamshell mode"), but when I travel I watch my anime on my 13.3" MacBook (yes I'm a Mac user) screen, and it looks equally as good. If I don't want to lug my computer around, of if it's not that far of a trip I just encode my anime for my iPhone's 3.5" screen, and I watch like that. Works great using any of my 3 ways of watching.

It's running at 1280 x 1024 at 85 Hz. Anything lower flickers NOTICEABLY. I used to run it as a secondary screen for my laptop's own screen, but I didn't feel like turning my head and neck in awkward angles. Most of my stuff would be dragged over here anyway, so I said what the heck, and clamshelled my laptop, and it's acting as a desktop, in all essence.

I know, it's an elaborate response, but I like to detail stuff I'm passionate about. Wink
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Over the summer I was using a laptop, but my preferred way of watching anime is still on TV set. Be it shows actually airing on TV, through my DVD player, or even dusting off my VCR and popping in a tape, it still feels right to watch it that way. Not that there's anything wrong with it in any other way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Like LuckySeven, I watch all my anime via laptop in the comfort of my own bedroom so I can't really specify the type of monitor that I use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a 17" widescreen laptop, which is the shizz once you get used to the weight, but I'm curious now: What's the difference between TN and PVA/MVA standards? How can I tell what mine is? It has fantastic color quality, I'm picky about tech, but I don't understand those terms.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
For computer usage I use a 17" laptop when I'm watching anime in my room, or a 19" CRT that is part of my parents computer. The resolution for both is kind of basic but I think that the CRT is actually better when looking at the quality of the pictures when viewing the shows. Plus if they're files I'm kind of limited to the quality anyways.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I generally use a Dell 20" 16:10 1680x1050, I forgot the exact product number, but it starts with an E.

Otherwise, I use a Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV, a shitty 42" Sylvania HDTV while I'm at work, or a 50+ foot lecture hall projector on the weekends. Yeah, I watch anime in the most superior fashion.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot my open-box Element (which I suspect is a sub-brand of Poloraid and some others) 19" LCD HDTV that I have situated next to my bed, which I primarily use for hentai..

Also in my experience, the best viewing you're gonna get is to get a new laptop with an HDMI out and plug that into a high-end 1080p TV of a good brand (Samsung or Sony). And then all your fansubs and R1 DVDs will get the best treatment, though for R1's the best way to play them might be through a PS3. I've been watching Popotan and Burst Angel at my friend's apartment this way and there's absolutely no quality issues aside from Burst Angel's horrendous subs.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
For TV and DVDs, I use a 15" Magnavox LCD TV, and a 19" LCD monitor for online streams and downloads. I forgot the brand name, but I found it at Wal-Mart, and it's pretty good for the money I plunked down on it.

CRT users, if you're going to upgrade, I suggest LCD over plasma, as the latter tends to overheat after about eight hours.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
A 17' Hyundai ImageQuest L705+ LCD flatscreen monitor for my fansubs and a regular old 19' Magnavox CRT television for the majority of my anime watching which done on DVD.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Like LuckySeven, I watch all my anime via laptop in the comfort of my own bedroom so I can't really specify the type of monitor that I use.

Er... I only did so over the summer out of necessity. My normal PC was crapping out over a failing hard drive (I haven't even had it a full 2 years yet). Well that and I discovered a certain site that surprise of surprises had anime in loads and even dubs. So over the summer I used it as a sampler of sorts and found quite a few things that I plan on buying (and a few that ticked me off because they are out of print) so I can watch in my preferred way, on my TV. Its a lot easier to share with friends that way.

Not trying to start any trouble, just making sure I'm understood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Elfen12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
For me, i watch my anime on my 49.99 TV i bought at costco with the built in DVD player. I don't know the brand though becuase stupidly enough, i placed a Zumiez sticker over the logo, and now looking back on it, it's kind of dumb but eh, whatever. Then, About... oh say ... oh wait let me measure... 2 1/3 inches away from that is my beautiful 19 inch Acer (with the "e" not bolded) computer screen where i watch some other anime on. To be honest and frank, my screen isn't so beautiful as stated earlier, it's got all these marks from times i've opened Pepsi cans near it, and a tiny bit goes on the screen and i dont' notice untill it dries or something and makes the screen weird. Oh and well... last time i was on a trip, i bought Black Cat and i had my laptop, so i watched it on that. It worked quite well i must say, although i must also say i didn't expect any problems. So yeah, i guess i'll say if i'm on a trip and i feel the urge to take out the laptop and watch a seires, i'll go ahead and do so. However, when i'm on a trip, i tend to do more trip type things... Anime kind of isnt' one of them, but last time i bought Black Cat becuase i was in this massively enormous Fry's and the anime section seemed a tad larger than normal, so i decided, eh what the hell, i'll buy something. But yeah getting back on topic, thats it.

-Elfen12-
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I watch most of my anime on my 15" CRT monitor. It's about a billion years old and I think it's on its last legs - I'm looking to upgrade to a 17" flatscreen as soon as I have the cash.

I sure am getting jealous reading about everyone else's equipment, though Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I have a 32 inch LCD HD TV. I watch all of my anime DVDs in HD even since I figured out that the PS3 upconverts regular DVDs to HD (yes, I am slow learner). Some shows look freakin' great on HD: Samurai Champloo, Death Note, which I still haven't noticed the green tint Razz , and really just about anything that's in widescreen.

Now they are some things which look truly dreadful, namely the DBZ season sets, but that's another story. Rolling Eyes Oh, and stuff from FUNimation. Yeah, they've improved but there's some nasty stuff from them. Razz

Overall, I'm looking forward to watching more anime on my HD TV like Gurren Lagann, Hellsing Ultimate, etc.

Last edited by braves on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
My laptop is a 15.4" widescreen, I use that when I'm on a trip, otherwise I typically watch on mt 15" Magnavox LCD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3