• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo's Parent Firm on Notice for Possible Delisting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah I was going to say - 5 Killers isn't on that list either.

And who knows what other projects they're working on....
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Well, this news couldn't make me happier. Linebarrel is their only remaining project I really care about other than Alive which is a joint with AIC and will probably survive the fallout of this. After routinely butchering adaptations of things I love for years I'm happy to see them finally dying. I can only echo the earlier calls in this thread for Bee Train to follow suit.
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm surprise at the amount of Gonzo hater is this thread, well It should be expected. While they haven't been making epic anime since Gankutsuou, they've been my favourite anime studio since blue sub number 6.

for those that say gonzo can't produce good anime without AIC I ask you people to go check out Kaleido Star, hopefully Gonzo will be around for Druaga the sword of Uruk, which I have great aniticipation of.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Gonzo doing bad....geee....I wonder how THAT happnend...maybe the horrigle shows they've had?

Most likely, that is what caused their financial troubles. But then again, that failed investment with Crunchyroll didn't help any either.

Was there an article that said it failed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
...show after show that can be summed up by the phrase "a good idea executed horribly" for years on end...

lol, loved that phrase; Gonzo in a nutshell.
hikaru004 wrote:
Gonzo makes good programs. They may not be to your liking that's all. Cheering that a studio may face closure or other bad event if they are delisted isn't a logical thing to do at all.

Cheering that a bad studio that makes bad decisions with bad anime, repeatedly, over the course of the last decade is finally getting smacked in the face is a logical thing to do. People tote Gonzo on such a high pedestal for stupid reasons such as HELLSING WAS EPIC or LAST EXILE WAS ORIGINAL, but if you really think of it, how memorable are these shows after they've aired?

I remember both Hellsing & Last Exile just fine. I love Gatekeepers & enjoyed Basilisk. In fact, looking at the list of Gonzo title vs AIC, a lot more of Gonzo's titles stand out. Overall I find Gonzo not bad. I still prefer Madhouse myself, but all these people applauding the misery of a company the provides employment to some & pleasure to others is sad. Yeah, I have issues with the direction some of their titles take, but overall the titles I've seen (own. I'm not a downloader) LOOK good even though I'm usually disappointed in the plotting. Of course many American tv shows have plotting issues, don't they? I hate it 3 or 4 seasons in when the show is feeling stale so the writers do something smart like MARRY OFF THE LEADS or ADD A BABY. And by then one has time invested so one maybe still watches hoping they'll pull it out & return to their former glory, but so few do.
Gonzo's little cartoons at least tend to keep it to 1 season (even if it means doing a 2nd season as a separate title) so we at least avoid the lags of 100+ ep titles.

DarkHunter6523 wrote:

minakichan wrote:
But anime NEVER makes money, so I'm not surprised ._.

I wouldn't go as far as to say NEVER, but it isn't often.
For starters, the majority of Gonzo's shows are BAD and of the occasional few that don't resemble a train wreck, Gonzo does nothing to give them staying power in the market, effectively eliminating the possibility of figures, toys, games, and all the other random crap merchandise that Otaku waste living money on.

I have some Samurai 7 figures & I've seen figures for other titles of theirs, or do you not notice because they aren't the gals with F Cups in removeable cloth clothing? Didn't Gatekeepers have a game? Maybe not...I don't play games so I don't keep track of that.

Do you know how little staying power anything has these days? My god, I can't believe how many of my 17 yr old's friends have never seen Back to the Future, Weird Science, Uncle Buck & other titles from the 80's or 90's that have aired on tv a few thousand times & thus they should have seen. Her boyfriend borrowed my Indiana Jones trilogy set because he'd never seen them & he wanted to borrow my Jurassic Park movies but she watches them practically every week.
What do you MEAN "staying power"?

So many kids think if it's more than 5 yrs old it's ancient & not worth the time to bother.

DarkHunter6523 wrote:

The fact of the matter is that this is a company in serious need of an internal overhaul and if this notice isn't the red flag that'll open their eyes, then good riddance to a bad anime studio.

This is the Parent company, not Gonzo itself. We saw Geneon America go away after parent company issues. We're seeing Bandai Visual merged into Bandai in a move by, if not the parent company, the company that has control of the 2(now one). We saw Biblos go bye bye over the owner's computer business failing. Look at Funi actually boosing their parent company's overall profit when one or 2 of the other branches did poorly. This stock thing possibly has squat to do with Gonzo & more to do with the other companies or even a basic management flaw in the parent company's style.

You don't like Gonzo. Great. Other people do & have the right to see their product. Y'all seem so jaded. The glass is half full or half empty. You can watch a show looking to tear it apart or you can watch a show looking for stuff to like. I buy all my anime, so I tend to look for stuff to like after I've invested some of my hard-earned cash in the title. I understand ALL ART is an interpretation. Just because a director makes a film or show of a book I love & misses key points I loved doesn't make that director wrong because s/he's putting his/her spin in the title. On their original animation even one probably has more than one creative voice so it becomes the dreaded "round table" one reads about in Hollywood kicks in where the creative team sits around the table throwing out ideas of what to do so again creator A's incredible idea might get shot down because everyone else likes creator B's idea better or maybe A's idea is too hard to pull off.
Make our own if you can do it better (& I don't mean AMV's. I mean from scratch). If Gonzo bugs you, don't watch their stuff, but don't toast their troubles. Animators in Japan have a tough enough time (I'm talking the actual production staff like CG, touch-up, etc) Would you enjoy people cheering for the demise of your employment?
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, the anime haters are back again for another round of "told you so" with some "serves 'em right" and "good riddance" thrown in for good measure. LOL. It's not surprising that any given person doesn't respect or enjoy a given anime or even a given studio, but what exactly is gained by telling everyone you hate them?

(Just curious)
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
I think they should hurry up and air Kiddy Grade 2, I mean it's been a year since they released that promo vid.
kanami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people are confusing bussiness with personal taste. Yeah, I also think that most Gonzo shows (at least in recent years) are bad, but that doesn't mean that's the CAUSE of their problems, because 1) for most of them, there exists a specific audience that wants to watch it, even when a good group of fans hate it, and 2) the fact that people hate something doesn't mean they're not going to consume it (maybe they won't buy the DVDs, but maybe they'll watch it on TV).

However, my point is that we don't have enough information to make a good guess of why this is happening. There are big problems for the industry as a whole. Also, we don't know if Gonzo has internal issues, like bad management or maybe some division other than animation isn't working as well as they expected.
JINROH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
zaeris wrote:
I'm surprise at the amount of Gonzo hater is this thread, well It should be expected. While they haven't been making epic anime since Gankutsuou, they've been my favourite anime studio since blue sub number 6.

for those that say gonzo can't produce good anime without AIC I ask you people to go check out Kaleido Star, hopefully Gonzo will be around for Druaga the sword of Uruk, which I have great aniticipation of.

I am not at all surprised at the hate,and childish outbursts,or the call for another part of the anime industry to die.I wish no harm on any studio or R1/Rx licensee.I just wish more people supported the industry via legit means (buy legit dvd's,and or assorted other merch,etc),rather the stealing from it,and then have the audacity and gual to turn around and criticize what they never paid for in the first place.Or worse,call themselves 'fans',when what they are really is a fair weather friend at best,and at worst....

Anyone here or elsewhere that wishes people in the Japanese entertainment industry to lose their jobs and livelihood,deserve a triple helping of their own suggested medicine,and a swift kick in the ass,to hopefully knock some sense into their empty heads.

With 'friends' like these,who the hell needs enemies ? Running their mouths,and playing armchair quarter back,like they actually know what the hell their talking about!!??

Just because you don't particularly like a certain series,or a string of them a mile long means nothing.And it by no means makes the studio in charge of making them worthy of financial ruin.

I don't like many series or manga,but I don't go running around childishly spreading my petty vitriol,and hate for them.If you don't like it don't watch it,change the damn 'channel',or maybe just stop being a greedy shit and downloading it in the first place.

I hope Gonzo weathers this storm,and gets back on track.

Hate ?

I think I'll reserve that term for things that actually warrant it,like murderers,rapists,war,etc.Those that do choose to throw the word around,likely need to get outside and get some fresh air,and well
likely laid as well.

Razz

This post was not directed at any one particular poster,or forum member,nor were any anime characters harmed in its making.

Cheers !
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The decline in Gonzo's quality is undoubtedly linked to money. During the western anime boom, Gonzo thrived since their shows were top sellers in the US. However, they never sold much of anything in Japan, despite their high production values and critical acclaim.

Once the western markets declined, they were in big trouble.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Er... so...

The news is about GDH, not GONZO. What other... things does GDH actually do? Or is it purely GONZO' fault that this is happening?

But anime NEVER makes money, so I'm not surprised ._.

hikaru004 wrote:

Apparently GDH is the animation side. It has 3 branches off it apparently according to the English website. The video game side is another branch off the Gonzo Rosso tree.

Gonzo is the animation studio.

GDH is the holding company created for Gonzo and other offshoot projects. Virtually all of GDH is Gonzo, the other projects are small in comparison.

GDH also handles all the licensing,sales, etc... while Gonzo focuses on nothing but creation.

GDH stands for Gonzo Digimation Holdings. Digimation is a studio that merged with Gonzo a while back, for a time they were jointly called "Gonzo Digimation." The "Digimation" part was later completely dropped except for the continued inclusion of the D in GDH.
VLOXY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems that even the talented and successful can fall. Sad really that the current state of affairs is clearing a wide swath through everything.

However, I am sure they will restructure, consolidate with someone else or private equity will move in and take it.

If I had the cash, I would certainly buy them out since I feel they are currently being misguided. There is a magnificent talent base at that studio that is still extremely valuable.

GANTZ has no mercy...in before KIRA...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Am I wrong in thinking that Gonzo kept most of their production inside Japan? I.e. they didn't outsource anything ever?

I wonder if that had a large effect on their production costs rising and their losses they incurred?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm very surprised, actually, because everyone in the industry is churning out some form of mediocre crap nowadays[Even old-time animators are saying the same thing.]-so I figured they'd be safe. Maybe Gonzo went over-budget on too many productions?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Gonzo doing bad....geee....I wonder how THAT happnend...maybe the horrigle shows they've had?

Most likely, that is what caused their financial troubles. But then again, that failed investment with Crunchyroll didn't help any either.

Was there an article that said it failed?

To be honest, I am not sure if there ever was an article. But back before I quit Crunchyroll, I noticed that Gonzo slowly began to remove some of their content from that site. That is why, among the fact that asking high amount of money for better quality is what made this deal fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3